• Status
    Not open for further replies.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I asked about a gunsmithing forum a while ago and was told that there weren't enough threads to justify it.

I still believe that a gunsmithing forum would be a very very nice addition to this website.

Boomstick

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    Jeffersonville, IN
    I agree. Simple how-to's with pics/vids would be great. Easy stuff like installing a Glock 3.5 connector, changing a trigger in a AR platform rifle, etc would be good. I'd think it would take off as more people got involved

backfire

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 6, 2011

I did speak briefly with LoveMyWoods about this at the I-1500 last December and he said that they (whoever "they" are) would give it consideration if there were enough quality threads/posts about it, which would benefit the forum's content.

I guess that's why I post as much DIY stuff as I do here, in hopes that the material posted is worthy enough to warrant adding a specific section for it. I will say that's it's a LOT of work and VERY time consuming to put together a decent How-To thread that everyone, no matter what their mechanical aptitude, can follow and understand the content presented.

I do it more for my own enjoyment more than anything else though, because what I learn "sticks with me" better if I write it down/take pictures along the way.

Examples:

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo..._12ga_pump_shotgun_refinements_pic_heavy.html

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...taurus_model_627ss_357_mag_revolver_pics.html

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...urus_tcp_738_380_random_jamming_fix_pics.html

Brownie

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 7, 2011
    Fayette county
    Well then....let's try and keep this thread alive as long as possible and maybe we can get more support and make it happen! It seems as there is interest

mshogren

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Nov 20, 2010
    Arcadia
    I would like to see the sub forum as well. Just starting to play with one of my 1911s to teach myself some mods like adding a Bobtail, trigger job, barrel fitting, etc.

Mark

David

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2011
    I am in the process of building an 8mm Mauser sporter from a collection of mismatched parts. I have the barrel turned down, shortened, and crowned, and just got done drilling and taping the receiver. Next I have to turn the bolt handle down and fit it into a semi finished stock. I have also done Bobtails and trigger work on 1911s and miscelaneous stuff on other guns, Hi Powers, CZs, etc.. I like working on my guns and think a dedicated gunsmithing section would be interesting.

jmdavis984

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    Greenfield
    Even if I have no preconceved notions that I will ever be a gunsmith, I like thinking that I am handy enough to at least gain some knowledge from reading about smithing. For example, I am proibably going to make a rear sight for my revolver because it is old and finding one seems to be impossible. The "do-it-yourself" threads are always my first stop in almost every forum I visit. That's generally where the most creative thinking comes to the fore.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom