• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Outlaw

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 1, 2011
    Cornfield east of Indy
    So I got the chance to try out jeweling a bolt for the first time. It's kind of a tedious process but a lot easier than I thought it would be. Trick is to be in a comfortable position and going faster was actually better than taking my time.

Coated the bolt with a machining grease to lower heat
    picture.php

That's a steel brush bit with a wire tied around it to keep the brush from spreading out too much. Not much to it really, just cover half the circle you made before. And on the next line cover it half way too. Spinning the bolt towards yourself makes it easier to see what your doing.

picture.php

picture.php

You could prob do it with a dremel but a drill press makes it a lot easier. Makes me wanna jewel everything now :D

Outlaw

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 1, 2011
    Cornfield east of Indy
    Thanks Guys!
    I have been trying to learn the trade, My Uncle, Richard Marks of RAM gunsmith, has been kind enough to let me hang out at the shop a few days a week and teach me different things. I believe he is prob one of the best in the state, other gunsmiths send work to him when they have trouble. Hopefully after a few years of this and Ill be on my way to becoming a good gunsmith.

That really does look super easy. Time consuming but easy.

Actually it didnt take much time at all. It only took about 30 minutes.

Stainer

Master
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    God's Country
    Thanks Guys!
    I have been trying to learn the trade, My Uncle, Richard Marks of RAM gunsmith, has been kind enough to let me hang out at the shop a few days a week and teach me different things. I believe he is prob one of the best in the state, other gunsmiths send work to him when they have trouble. Hopefully after a few years of this and Ill be on my way to becoming a good gunsmith.

Richard Marks is a phenomenal gun smith especially with 1911's. Learn everything that you can. My roommate took a 1911 to him and Richard made the thing amazing. I'm not a 1911 guy, but if I was and needed work done to it, I would take it to Richard.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Jewling is alot like scraping on a machined surface. It decreases friction, and allows SMALL reccesses for oil to hide allowing it to stay lubricated for longer. and it looks cool to boot. Nice work outlaw.

I have long thought about building a stainless 1911 and jewling the sides. Poor mans engraving if you will.

boomboom

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2009
    Does it look bad if you dont have it perfectly spaced (rows/lines) If you messup can you go over it again?

Outlaw

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 1, 2011
    Cornfield east of Indy
    Jewling is alot like scraping on a machined surface. It decreases friction, and allows SMALL reccesses for oil to hide allowing it to stay lubricated for longer. and it looks cool to boot. Nice work outlaw.

I have long thought about building a stainless 1911 and jewling the sides. Poor mans engraving if you will.

I've been thinking of doing the same.

Does it look bad if you dont have it perfectly spaced (rows/lines) If you messup can you go over it again?

It doesn't have to be perfect but of course it will look better if it is. You can go back to a point but since everything overlaps you only go back so far. As far as spacing; its pretty easy to line them up, just put the edge of the circle in the middle of the previous one.

From what I learned on this one the most important part is that the circles stay the same size, everything else is pretty forgiving.

Top Bottom