• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2011
    carmel
    Hey yall! Been a while since ive been active on the site, but last year i moved back to indy after living and studying in Arizona for 3 years, as part of the gunsmithing program at Yavapai College. Im not currently working as a gunsmith(shameless plug, if your shop or someone you know is hiring in the central indiana area, i would be interested in applying!).
    I know there are probably some people on this board, that have a similar interest in gunsmithing as a career, and are just as flabbergasted as i was in “where to start”. I just wanted to start this post to invite anyone to ask me any questions they might have about the specific program i was involved in:ar15:
    My personal interest in smithing has always been custom 1911/2011 pistols, but the program i was involved in covered pretty much all aspects of gunsmithing, from soldering sights and barrel bands, to cutting threads on a lathe, bluing with hot salts, inletting and bedding, chambering rifles, contouring barrels, etc. In addition to the regular program, i took a couple engraving classes with Master Engraver Rachel Wells(an absolute sweetheart of a lady, whose late husband is renowned for his work on safari rifles).
    Anyways, heres some pictures of projects to inspire some of those questions!:ingo:

6.5 Creedmoor Remington 700, blueprinted and trued, stock inlet and bedded with marine-tex, barrel tennon cut/threaded and chambered

.460 rowland 2011, slide and frame fit, small parts fit, fit barrel, beavertail, trigger, tuned mags. All hand fit.

high polished Desert Eagle in .50AE

.280AI build, rem 700 action, fabricated adjustable length recoil pad, fabricated cheek riser, trued, threaded and chambered, muzzle threaded, 3 position safety fit, milled slot in reviever and fit side bolt release, inlet and bedded stock.

Last edited:

Riggs226

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 19, 2018
    SLLERSBURG
    Congratulations! I looked into smithing classes a while back. Unfortunately, couldn't find anything local. Good luck on your future endeavors!

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2011
    carmel
    Thank you! Yes, unfortunately its pretty much California, Pennsylvania, North Carolina, Colorado, or Arizona for accredited 2 year programs. There are quite a few smaller, more specific classes that usually run over the weekend around the country, if youre still interested you might look into trying one of those out:) think Mike Dubber(Master Engraver) holds classes in southern indiana, not sure about any other local instruction

Top Bottom