• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • greghvac

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 4, 2012
    i would like to find a old timer and learn from him to keep the trade going,but would be hard with full time job.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    looks like you have to go to colorado to get any real gunsmithing education. 14 months straight. sounds good i guess but i hear it is pretty expensive.
    Well, I don't know if I would call that "real" gunsmithing education, but it's the best available right now. I've read through their curriculum and it is REALLY lacking for anyone wanting to be a TRUE gunsmith. This requires an expertise in metal working, machining, chemistry (regarding metal finishing techniques and obviously the ammunition loading), a good deal of "mechanical engineering" practices/knowledge, etc. That school has a good STARTER program, but you really won't become as skilled or knowledgable about everything you need to be from it. The best thing you can do is find a busy and good local shop to apprentice under and/or machine shop. Then start studying up on everything else (chemistry involved in firearms, etc).

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    Take an NRA Summer Gunsmithing class, or class(es) if you have the time at Trinidad State.

TSJC Summer NRA Short Course Series

Between Speedy, John Hollinger, D'Arcy Echols - the rest of the staff and the rest of this years featured instructors - you'll learn something, and decide if it is something you are interested in going forward with.

bstone2

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2012
    west side of indianapolis
    pittsburgh is only six hours from indy and they have an extensive 16 month course where you would leave with tools and working examples of your work. they also help with the ffl process

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    pittsburgh is only six hours from indy and they have an extensive 16 month course where you would leave with tools and working examples of your work.

Here is what they have to say about their Instructional Staff:

The PGS instructional staff is a group of highly talented individuals that have a keen interest in Gunsmithing, firearms, shooting and hunting. Together, they have over 80 years combined Gunsmithing experience. They have a deep desire to teach and nurture students in the craft that they love. A person can be a superb Gunsmith, but a poor teacher. PGS instructors are both superb Gunsmiths and teachers. They understand that people come from different backgrounds, have had different life experiences and are visual learners. They teach by example and demonstration. Continuing education in both Gunsmithing and teaching is a mandatory requirement to maintain faculty status.

If you don't recognize the names of folks that will be at Trinidad this summer, google them.

Top Bottom