• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • David

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2011
    I would like to know what the blueing brand is, I have need of some of that!

It's called Vans Instant Gun Blue. C.S. Van Gorden & son, Bloomer WI. I picked it up at a gun show and have no idea where you might get some, there's no contact info on the label.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    What chambering? Are you keeping it 8mm Mauser? I guess if it were me I'd ream it out to 8mm-06.

David

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2011
    I did it, I shot it before Christmas!! Haven't had time for an extended outing yet but so far it looks promising. I took five shots from close range to get an idea of where the scope was pointed. It was only about 25 yards but all five went to very nearly the same place. Once the Holidays are out of the way I should have the time to get it dialed in. Still have to decide how far I want to go with it, not sure if I want to get into refinishing the receiver or not, it looks kind of tacky right behind the newly blued barrel...:dunno: plenty of time I guess.
    IMG_1069_zps08abf2cd.jpg

IMG_1068_zps04c37d1c.jpg

IMG_1067_zps6edadb06.jpg

IMG_1071_zpsb1212172.jpg

IMG_1070_zpsc36937a4.jpg

cumminspwrd02

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 23, 2009
    Valparaiso
    David, the mauser looks good! I have 98 that I plan on re-sporterizing. It was a relatives that was sporterized many years ago, it was an older job and not done very well. Still chambered in 8mm and I plan on keeping it that way since I have a ton of 8mm surplus ammo. I plan on a new stock, rebluing, adding a scope (It currently has a redfield peep sight that is missing the apature).

David

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2011
    David, the mauser looks good! I have 98 that I plan on re-sporterizing. It was a relatives that was sporterized many years ago, it was an older job and not done very well. Still chambered in 8mm and I plan on keeping it that way since I have a ton of 8mm surplus ammo. I plan on a new stock, rebluing, adding a scope (It currently has a redfield peep sight that is missing the apature).

Sounds like that would make a good gunsmithing thread. :)

David

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2011
    Sir, where are you located?

Me?...I'm about two hours north of Milwaukee. It was a google search for something or another that brought me to INGO....and I just never left.

I check in periodically on a number of different gun forums but this one has turned out to be the one that I spend most of my time on. Friendly folks, them Hoosiers! :yesway:

Top Bottom