• ...and so much more!
  • STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    I did a little searching while I was eating lunch (working from home so I can access my PC easy) and what I found is you can make one with common hardware; cabinet hinges, piano hinges, childproof magnetic locks, RFID locks, etc. It just depends on how much you want to spend and how elaborate you want it to be.

Since I haven't found any plans, the challenging part will be "engineering" it. I wouldn't have a problem doing that.

The one hesitation I have is that if I go with the magnetic locking system, I have to have a magnet nearby to be able to unlock it. I can hide it in a decoration of some type, but it is sorta like leaving the key to the safe on the table. I'll need to think about it vs just buying a small safe.

If you watch the video on that web page you will see that not only are there two magnetic locks, she has to push up on the bottom of the hidden compartment (unlatch it) to get it to drop.
    If it is hidden as discretely as shown in the video, do we really need the magnetic locks? (Sure they would be extra safety if there are kids around...but mine are all older and know better).

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    If you watch the video on that web page you will see that not only are there two magnetic locks, she has to push up on the bottom of the hidden compartment (unlatch it) to get it to drop.
    If it is hidden as discretely as shown in the video, do we really need the magnetic locks? (Sure they would be extra safety if there are kids around...but mine are all older and know better).

Good point. You could leave a magnet over top of the latch. Then to open it, all you would do is push up slightly to release it. My kids are grown and gone, but now I have four grandkids ranging from 5 weeks to 5 years old so it's going to be awhile before I can trust them to stay out of trouble.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Oh heck OP, Lucifer can bust in my home, bash my speed vault with the sledgehammer in my garage, and take my Gen 3 G-23....lots of alternative options out there and some great gadgets and ideas, but for what they are worth, (IMHO) until I get invited to move into FT KNOX, in keeping my bedside GLOCK from some boogeyman and the grand pups, I think they are ok.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Oh heck OP, Lucifer can bust in my home, bash my speed vault with the sledgehammer in my garage, and take my Gen 3 G-23....lots of alternative options out there and some great gadgets and ideas, but for what they are worth, (IMHO) until I get invited to move into FT KNOX, in keeping my bedside GLOCK from some boogeyman and the grand pups, I think they are ok.

I decided to pass on it, turns out it wasn't much of a deal anyways. If it was the four button version I probably would have got it.

They did find a pretty neat end table up on post 16.

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    I will have to get one eventually. I’ve always had a gun on the nightstand next to me but when kiddos come along in my life that’ll have to change.

HoosierNation33

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2020
    Springfield
    The Fort Knox original pistol box (that 4 button simplex) is still my fave. But if you're looking for something quick and simple to access, I like the StopBox. No possibility of electronic failure and super fast to get into. They not too super sturdy like the fort knox, but if that's not what you need...Check out StopBox.

Top Bottom