• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Beemer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Bloomington
    I am looking at both of these safes and I am curious as to others opinions. The pluses I see for the sv500 is the light and large buttons. The Fas1 is thicker steel, made in the US. However, the buttons seem a little difficult to use. Any opinions would be great. Thanks much.

PappyD

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 24, 2008
    Westfield
    I have a FAS1 and would buy another one if needed. It is built like a tank, has simple push buttons and no batteries. I have it bolted to my bed frame. I can reach down and have it open in seconds. A thief would have to bring some tools and/or a hack saw to cut the bed frame to gain access. They would then have to cut their way into the safe itself.

Interesting you mentioned the FAS line of safes. I've had mine for a few years and imagine the company is still small and located down in Texas.

Good quality product.

I hope this helps!

Pappy

PRasko

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Amish country
    Anything is better then nothing, but try to keep this in mind.

"Most" handgun vaults are easily opened with paper clips and shims.

[video=youtube;5Yr6ATdaDQ8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Yr6ATdaDQ8[/video]

Beemer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Bloomington
    Anything is better then nothing, but try to keep this in mind.

"Most" handgun vaults are easily opened with paper clips and shims.

[video=youtube;5Yr6ATdaDQ8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Yr6ATdaDQ8[/video]

I watched that today. He seemed to like the basic safe from GunVault. Mostly what I am looking for is something for next to the bed. If I leave town everything gets put away safely (no pun intended).

Beemer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Bloomington
    I have a FAS1 and would buy another one if needed. It is built like a tank, has simple push buttons and no batteries. I have it bolted to my bed frame. I can reach down and have it open in seconds. A thief would have to bring some tools and/or a hack saw to cut the bed frame to gain access. They would then have to cut their way into the safe itself.

Interesting you mentioned the FAS line of safes. I've had mine for a few years and imagine the company is still small and located down in Texas.

Good quality product.

I hope this helps!

Pappy

I does, thank you!

Beemer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Bloomington
    Any updates to this.
    Hello, yes sorry, forgot to post. First thing I will note is that I found a coupon that took 20 dollars off so with shipping it was about 240, which is about 100 more than the Gunvault one. When the package arrived I went to pick it up and my first thought was, oh my this is heavy. That is a good sign. Taking it out of the box I found it to be incredibly well made, also made in America. It is solid and very thick. The operation of it is smooth and just screams quality all around. The lock is not electronic, which is one of the selling points to me and operates very easily. This is not a handgun safe to use for travel and staying in hotels as it is very sturdy and heavy. I could certainly see it being permanently mounted in a vehicle or the home, I am just saying you wouldn't want to carry it around. It is awesome and really makes the Gunvault safes look, well cheap. I can not say enough good. If you want a bed side handgun safe that is well made, this is the one for you, well, or me!

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    That's great!! I have two Fort Knox pistol safes that are pretty much the same as yours and love them. I like the ideal that the lid flips open and you can access the gun fast out of the holster. I will definitely be checking one of those out, hopefully soon.

Some pics of mine.

Top Bottom