• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    This was done in front of the idiot owner I hope.

JetGirl, I hope you cleared the shotgun in front of the customer so they could bear witness to their own stupidity.
    A co-worker copied the driver's license and passed the task to me to log two repairs in. They were on the counter when I got to the front of the store... I thought one man standing near was the owner and I said something to him, but apparently the owner had already left.
    And give them the look of the angry Monkey. No words need be spoken when the look of the angry monkey is cast upon you. You will know you have screwed the pooch
    Nope, I tell people straight up..."if you tell me it's not loaded and I have to unload it, I keep the ammo and I yell at you."
    A friend of mine said, "maybe you should point it at them and ask if they are betting on it being empty!" I wouldn't go that far because I'm a stickler for "safe direction"...but it makes a point. Some of the daytime guys call me the "Safety Nazi"... I'll take that and wear it like a badge of honor instead of a nickname of derision.
    To All,

I had the experience of holding that jar earlier today. If you lift it up there are a lot more rounds in there than there first appears!

Truly sad.

Doug

True!
    We threw a fo' knucks bones for respect in front of the 9mm to prove it. ;)

image_zps2771a450.jpg

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    This is why the toy dart guns went away when I bought my first pistol. I explained to the kids that we weren't going to be playing with guns anymore. Yes, it seemed draconian, but we had to have a different way of thinking about guns if we were to stay safe. Their mother thought I was an axxhole, (situation normal) but they got it. Both grown up shooters now.

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    And give them the look of the angry Monkey. No words need be spoken when the look of the angry monkey is cast upon you. You will know you have screwed the pooch
    And thus the angry monkey did cast her feces upon those who sinned against the tenants of firearm safety, and they were humbled and shamed.

Last edited:

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    I do hope she showed them their mistake, but people make mistakes, particularly absent-minded mistakes.

That's the reason that you assume the gun is always loaded, etc.

That's the reason that (for example) I never set my gun on the back of a toilet seat in a public restroom. You don't know what distraction will happen next and then I'll be the idiot.

Before I had guns, I was a skydiving instructor. And I've been involved with anesthesia for 26 years. Preventing accidents is largely about assuming there WILL be human error.

My opinion is that you take precautions/procedures on the assumption that you absolutely WILL make a mistake like this someday, and don't think that only idiots make those kind of mistakes.

I think that's really what the 4 rules of gun safety are about. You generally have to violate more than 1 of them to have a gun accident.
    I agree that people will make mistakes. But mistakes with a firearm can have very serious repercussions. My wife and I are novices to firearms, but we are mindful of basic safety rules when handling firearms and we put that into practice at the range last night when we handled two firearms we had not fired before (Mossberg 500 and M&P Shield). The first time I was at the range (about two years ago) after I fired the first five shots it truly sunk in that I had an item in my hand that could, if used improperly, cause serious harm to myself and others, and that it should always be treated with respect. I never want to forget that.
    Unfortunately the person in the news report did not exhibit the same level of caution and the consequences were severe

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    I agree that people will make mistakes. But mistakes with a firearm can have very serious repercussions. My wife and I are novices to firearms, but we are mindful of basic safety rules when handling firearms and we put that into practice at the range last night when we handled two firearms we had not fired before (Mossberg 500 and M&P Shield). The first time I was at the range (about two years ago) after I fired the first five shots it truly sunk in that I had an item in my hand that could, if used improperly, cause serious harm to myself and others, and that it should always be treated with respect. I never want to forget that.
    Unfortunately the person in the news report did not exhibit the same level of caution and the consequences were severe

Yes, I doubt we disagree but maybe are just framing things differently.

I think it's best to assume that we're all idiots. Or maybe phrase it that even smart people do stupid things. That perception helps me plan ahead and/or not assume anything. It also gives me reason to have redundancy for important things. That's really what the 4 rules are: redundancy. Otherwise it would just be "don't shoot anything you didn't mean to shoot."

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    Yes, I doubt we disagree but maybe are just framing things differently.

I think it's best to assume that we're all idiots. Or maybe phrase it that even smart people do stupid things. That perception helps me plan ahead and/or not assume anything. It also gives me reason to have redundancy for important things. That's really what the 4 rules are: redundancy. Otherwise it would just be "don't shoot anything you didn't mean to shoot."
    I don't think that we disagree on this matter

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    That's the reason that you assume the gun is always loaded, etc.

I don't recall Col. Cooper ever using the word assume.

NEVER A** U ME!

Every gun IS loaded, until you personally clear it. When you set it down and pick it up it IS loaded. Clear it. I was once shot by my friend because his pistol wasn't loaded. Thanks be to G_D, I only carry a BB in my bicep.

A friend of mine said, "maybe you should point it at them and ask if they are betting on it being empty!" I wouldn't go that far because I'm a stickler for "safe direction"...but it makes a point. Some of the daytime guys call me the "Safety Nazi"... I'll take that and wear it like a badge of honor instead of a nickname of derision.

I consider that respectively good judgements and high praise.

And thus the angry monkey did cast her feces upon those who sinned against the tenants of firearm safety, and they were humbled and shamed.

I totally support this action.

Top Bottom