• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Turfweazel

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    I was talking to my brother today who is a self defense instructor. He was saying if an attacker is running at you the minimum reaction time to pull your weapon and engage them is around 25 yards. My first thought was that is pretty far I can do that. Second thought is if he is running at you that distance will disappear quickly. I realize that there are a lot of variables to this but what would be your "reaction zone"?

Andy

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    I was told at a gun shop that it was 100 yards. That why I carry my 50 caliber. Can never be too safe. :D

Nobody's getting near me.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    If the attacker is already running at you? My guess is that they could cover 25 yards before most people could draw a gun and defend themselves.

I used to be able to run a 40 from a dead stop in about 5 seconds. So a person already moving towards you should be able to cover 25 yards in about 2.5 seconds.

Tueller Drill - Basically a person with a knife or other weapon can cover 21 feet in about 1.5 seconds.

Considering it takes me about 2 seconds from hearing a signal to draw and fire an aimed shot, I would say that things will be a little close. And that is assuming that I recognize the threat in time to even react.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    If the attacker is already running at you? My guess is that they could cover 25 yards before most people could draw a gun and defend themselves.

I used to be able to run a 40 from a dead stop in about 5 seconds. So a person already moving towards you should be able to cover 25 yards in about 2.5 seconds.

Tueller Drill - Basically a person with a knife or other weapon can cover 21 feet in about 1.5 seconds.

Considering it takes me about 2 seconds from hearing a signal to draw and fire an aimed shot, I would say that things will be a little close. And that is assuming that I recognize the threat in time to even react.

Yep, what he wrote ^^^^

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka

Exactly what I was thinking. If your SA is on point, you should be in a position to defend yourself if he's at 25 yards and closing already though IMO.

ParaManAR15

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 1, 2012
    Noblesville
    25 yards is quite a distance. I was taught 21 feet is the reactionary gap for someone running at you. We did many practices on this for self defense during boat/ship boardings. Out of all the boardings I did, I very very rarely had a 21 foot reactionary gap unless I was on the top deck of a ship. So within that 21 feet you have about 1.5 seconds +/- a few hundredths of a second to react, draw your weapon, and shoot.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    If they are 25 YARDS out that should be plenty of time to present a weapon and aim a shot.

If they are 21 FEET away- you need to be thinking about some type of defense besides attempting to deploy a handgun.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    If they are 25 YARDS out that should be plenty of time to present a weapon and aim a shot.

If they are 21 FEET away- you need to be thinking about some type of defense besides attempting to deploy a handgun.

If they are already moving 25 yards is not very far at all, I am old and can cover 25 yards pretty quick if I am already moving. I just walked across my office (20ft) in 2.79 sec. had to step over my heater cord too.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Nobody wants to be near you to start with..... :dunno:

B..Bu...But..Hu M...

puppyeyes.jpg

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    If they are already moving 25 yards is not very far at all, I am old and can cover 25 yards pretty quick if I am already moving. I just walked across my office (20ft) in 2.79 sec. had to step over my heater cord too.

I draw from an open top kydex holster with rarely anything over it- I can draw pretty damn fast from my daily carry rig ;)

One of the many benefits of OC :laugh:

Anyone else feel like we haven't had a good OC/CC argument lately? :lmfao:

mpitcock

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2011
    Lafayette
    The actual time to draw the weapon is not the entire issue. Reaction time is the issue. You must perceive the threat then mentally make the decision to draw. If not properly trained, this takes longer than the point and shoot.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    The actual time to draw the weapon is not the entire issue. Reaction time is the issue. You must perceive the threat then mentally make the decision to draw. If not properly trained, this takes longer than the point and shoot.

Very correct. I would likely not draw on someone 25 yards away that isn't already shooting at me or with a visible weapon in a threatening manner.

That is why I put that if you have a threat within 21 feet you probably should look into another means of defense besides standing your ground and drawing on them. You would be overrun and a good chance to lose control of your weapon or at least be in a struggle for it.

That is why Tueller drills are often skewed because you KNOW they are a threat before it begins and you are ready for it. In reality if you are walking down the street and out of the blue someone attacks you with a knife by surprise- you are likely done for. Thank God we don't have random ninja wannabes jumping out at us like an 80's videogame :laugh:

Double Dragon anyone?

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog

Based on the OP I was working on the assumption the runner was spotted at 25 yards and already moving.

Frosty, want to do some experiments? Obviously I will not actually attack you if you promise not to actually draw on me :D

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    Based on the OP I was working on the assumption the runner was spotted at 25 yards and already moving.

Frosty, want to do some experiments? Obviously I will not actually attack you if you promise not to actually draw on me :D

I'm up for it. I tried to get a hold of a training knife and a blue gun/yellow barrel for some fun with retention during an attack on an OCer.

Top Bottom