• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    I'd like to know how a gun can fire with no finger on the trigger.

It can happen and has happened; although I have not witnessed it. I was talking with two instructors who certify law enforcement instructors, and one had witnessed two such incidents--the second only three days earlier.

Here's how the two NDs happened:
    Shooters are re-holstering handgun with finger off trigger and alongside frame when their shirts got tangled between the trigger and trigger guard. They jammed their guns into the holsters despite the resistance. Kaboom!

Not saying this is what happened, here, but it is possible (although exceedingly rare!)

Moral: reholster carefully and "reluctantly." If any resistance is felt, stop and be sure nothing is snagging on the trigger. There is no advantage in fast reholstering!

Yes, most reholstering NDs happen because the finger is on the trigger, but it is possible without the finger on the trigger.

hueycrew

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2010
    Cabot
    +1 to NIFT. Always on the lookout for these situations when ROing USPSA matches. More than once I've stopped competators whose jacket draw strings, shirts, and sometimes fingers get in the trigger guard. I've seen a competator holster his pistol, got his shirt caught in the process, pulled on his shirt and where did his loaded pistol go? Straight to the ground. Maladjusted gear, loose fitting gear, and simply going too fast get people in trouble.

The simple act of holstering a pistol properly needs practice. Seen people point the pistol at their hip, stomach, and leg when holstering a loaded firearm. I do my best to coach them.

Arm America

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    West of Greenwood
    It can happen and has happened; although I have not witnessed it. I was talking with two instructors who certify law enforcement instructors, and one had witnessed two such incidents--the second only three days earlier.

Here's how the two NDs happened:
    Shooters are re-holstering handgun with finger off trigger and alongside frame when their shirts got tangled between the trigger and trigger guard. They jammed their guns into the holsters despite the resistance. Kaboom!

Not saying this is what happened, here, but it is possible (although exceedingly rare!)

Moral: reholster carefully and "reluctantly." If any resistance is felt, stop and be sure nothing is snagging on the trigger. There is no advantage in fast reholstering!

Yes, most reholstering NDs happen because the finger is on the trigger, but it is possible without the finger on the trigger.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a valuable lesson here.
    We all claim to be somewhat proficient or better while handling a firearm.
    Holster snags, shirt, knife or keys in the same hand while the firearm is
    out is an accident waiting to happen.

The described incident can and will happen again.

Beau

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Colorado
    I carry a 21 and often unholster while driving. Wasn't me though.

Mine rarely goes off no matter how tight I grab it.

grizman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Home
    Had to be one of those extra deadly handloaded rounds that set itself off when it smelled flesh straight ahead! No wonder they are so dangerous!LOL
    Seriuosly who takes the weapon out of the holster to make a position adjustment?

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I'd like to know how a gun can fire with no finger on the trigger.

Bunch of different ways including unloading/loading, snagging on clothing (jacket strings, etc.), snagging on less than optimal holsters, snagging on keys in a purse or pocket.

Stick around guns long enough and you'll see all kinds of weird stuff.

b0r0b

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 28, 2010
    This moron wasn't from Richmond, he was just visiting the Movie Theater here (Everytime I say that I wonder why anyone is visiting here at all, anyway..)

He unholstered for an adjustment in his car and put one through his leg. 21 year old kid probably just got his LTCH and just HAD to go to Showplace packing. Personally, I hope it was his parents car and they beat the snot out of him since no one else can...oh wait if they give him a dirty look it's child abuse.

Top Bottom