• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ronald

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2011
    Ok guys I need some help, I'll try to keep this short so bare with me. I've wanted a 4 wheeler for awhile but just didn't have the extra money set aside for one, I know how to ride one but other than that I don't know a whole lot about them, this being my first. Well this year I got a pretty decent tax refund and finally had the funds. I start searching on CL (probably my first mistake) and find a nice looking one for sale. I contact the guy and arrange to meet, I looked him up first and found his address, where he works, etc. and he doesn't appear to be a shady person. So I rent a uhaul truck and drive an hour and forty minutes to his house. I get there and he shows me the 4 wheeler, it starts up and runs nice so I agree to buy it. I ask about a title and he said he didn't have one and that machines built before 2007 came with origin certificates that some people didn't treat as importantly as titles and may have been lost or tossed out. I called a buddy and he confirmed that I just need to make sure to get a bill of sale with the VIN. So he writes out a bill of sale and signs it, I pay him and off I go happy as can be. I get it home and order some new parts for it along with an owners manual off ebay. Well, the manual arrived this week and as I'm flipping through it I find a page about the VIN #, it says it's 17 digits. I look at my bill of sale and there aren't 17 digits written down. So I go out and look and notice he wrote down a serial # off the engine. Not only that, it says the VIN is located on the front of the machine and I can't find it anywhere. It doesn't look like anything has been tampered with it's just missing. So now I have a machine with no title and I'm unable to even locate a VIN. I'm in full blown panic mode. What should my course of action be? Should I try to go after the guy? Is it even legal to own a 4 wheeler with no VIN on it? I don't even know for sure this machine is stolen but I can't prove that it's not either because there is no visible VIN. I'm nearly sick over this and now I don't even want it anymore. But I don't feel like I can morally or even legally sell it now. I hoping an attorney or Leo will chime in here but any advice on what I can do is greatly appreciated, because I don't know what to do. And before anyone says anything I already realize my stupidity and ignorance got me into this, and I'm nearly sick to my stomach about it. I always try to be careful when buying used stuff and I guess I trusted this guy too much let my guard down.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Look up the machine. It should show you the location of the VIN#. If it is not there then you can panic. But do the research 1st if you have not already.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Before going into full panic mode, do some more searching for the VIN number. What make/model ATV? They are all different on location and manuals aren't always right.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    If the VIN is completely gone and you can't find it somewhere else, then apply for an MVIN. Googling Indiana BMV MVIN will bring up the required info. ATVs are outside my wheelhouse. Cars get inspected, I'd figure ATVs do as well. Just a guess, though, I never dealt with it.

It if it stolen, you have your bill of sale and can pursue the seller in civil court. You bought it in good faith, so it's not "receiving stolen property" since you reasonably couldn't have known it was stolen (again, if it is).

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

...or in this case, possibly the passage of time.

This is not leagl advice, just some thoughts.

My first question would be whether VIN#s were commonly on these the year it was sold (and where it was originally sold).

In Indiana, ATVs bought before 2009 did not have to be titled, so I wonder if they all had them. To be clear that was when they were originally sold, even if bought used now, there is supposed to be a title applied for.

Also, you don't want the hassle that comes with a stolen ATV, so I'd just call the BMV and ask them how to deal with it. Honestly, I really doubt it is stolen. Of the several non-dealer transactions I have done over the last several years (boat, motorcycle, trailers, etc., none of them have had titled easily at hand. It happens.

Check out this website:
    https://www.in.gov/bmv/2468.htm

Particularly this:

https://www.in.gov/bmv/files/Affidavit_of_Ownership_Packet.pdf

Now go find that VIN...if there is one. If not, I had an old trailer years ago (in Michigan, so this is REALLY, REALLY not legal advice) that had no VIN, so they told me to find one​. I found one at the end of my number stamp set.

Last edited:

awames76

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2016
    kendallville
    what kind of atv. my Yamaha is in front of left foot peg on stamped in the frame. Hondas are on a plate on front of machine others not sure

Ronald

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2011
    I appreciate everyone's advice. This weekend I will tear all the plastics off and wipe everything down to try to find a VIN. If I can't, I think I'm just going to cut my losses and try to re-sell it with full disclosure for whatever I can get. Unless I can't legally do that? I'm just really mad at myself, this was supposed to be a toy to enjoy and now it's just causing me extra grief. But again thank you all for the advice and I'm just praying I will find those numbers.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I appreciate everyone's advice. This weekend I will tear all the plastics off and wipe everything down to try to find a VIN. If I can't, I think I'm just going to cut my losses and try to re-sell it with full disclosure for whatever I can get.

Why? Unless it's shown to be stolen if you do find a VIN, just apply for an MVIN. It's not a big deal.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I wouldn't sell it over this vin/title business, I've been through this before with boats and trailers, just work it out through the BMV.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Geez, when I buy from anywhere but a dealership, I'd be surprised to NOT have some issues.

...and sometimes even with dealerships.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Geez, when I buy from anywhere but a dealership, I'd be surprised to NOT have some issues.

...and sometimes even with dealerships.

Bought a boat from a reputable dealer and fought with them for 6 months to get the title. Finally went to the BMV in Greencastle and talked to the nice lady there and she had it worked out in 5 minutes. Idiot dealer had transpose 2 digits in the Hull Id Number.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Bought a boat from a reputable dealer and fought with them for 6 months to get the title. Finally went to the BMV in Greencastle and talked to the nice lady there and she had it worked out in 5 minutes. Idiot dealer had transpose 2 digits in the Hull Id Number.

I had near the same issues with a boat I bought. What a drug out nightmare. It was tied up in a divorce on top of the issues with the title...................:faint:

Top Bottom