• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Spyke05

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I work at a local shop and love to see it when guys bring their women in to get them started in the firearms world but let her talk and make a concious choice on her firearm purchase. I see guys all the time talking their wives or girlfriends away from a weapon they like and feels good in thier hand to something that they dont like. Let these women pick for themselves I have found form personal experience if you let them browse and find something that meets their needs but also feels good to them and they will be so much more inclined to become active members of the shooting society.:draw:

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Yes, a friend of mine works at a local gun shop, and he tells me this story at least once a week, woman: I like this one, man: you don't want that, get this one ... if she isn't happy with the purchase, then she won't use it ... it is really that simple ... let her try it out, and let HER choose .... why spend all that money, and then it just sits there UNused .....:twocents:

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    I work at a local shop and love to see it when guys bring their women in to get them started in the firearms world but let her talk and make a concious choice on her firearm purchase. I see guys all the time talking their wives or girlfriends away from a weapon they like and feels good in thier hand to something that they dont like. Let these women pick for themselves I have found form personal experience if you let them browse and find something that meets their needs but also feels good to them and they will be so much more inclined to become active members of the shooting society.:draw:
    :yesway: This is good advice. I dare say that other customers in the store should follow the advice too. Well meaning kibitzing from from fellow customers caused my wife to leave emptyhanded on our first trip to a gunstore together. She was specifically looking for a semiautomatic, but an overly friendly customer kept pushing revolvers because "semi autos are just too complicated and women just can't rack the slides on them." To top it off, the clerk was just going along with whatever this guy told her!(that's the part that bothered me the most.)
    She got what she really wanted from another shop, and never looked back.
    She loads the magazines, racks the slide, and strikes fear in orange dots!
    And the orange dots fear her more than me...know what I mean?

ilovemyjeep

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    I will throw my 2 cents in here too. My guess would be that if a man and woman come into a gun shop, to shop for a gun for her...they have already discussed the pros and cons, alot. They or she probably already knows pretty much what she might want, and just needs to fine tune her decision. The only people who should be involved are the clerk and the persons buying.
    Just a suggestion here....if you are shopping with someone for a gun for her....you might just ask her...."would you like my opinion?" And then no matter what her answer is....honor it.:)

Make going to the gunshop a fun experience, and she will likely go more often with you (if thats what you want) lol

BC9

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 31, 2010
    Fishers
    My wife hates to shoot my Sigma (can't imagine why), so we went to Bradis to find something for her to enjoy. We got some advice from the man behind the counter and showed her about 6 or 7 pistols that seemed to fit her needs. I kept my mouth shut & watched her as she handled each one. She picked the one that felt best in her hand (Browning Buckmark) and she loves to shoot it. I really like it, too. The only downside to this was that she picked the most expensive gun that she looked at, but that's OK - she's happy.

Guys need to remember that men & women don't think alike & that we see the same thing differently, so don't expect her to base her decision on your way of thinking.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Have never been told to shut up... I am just told to give her either my wallet or checkbook and I'll see her in a few hours...

I can't believe she's still letting you post after that purple incident.
    Or...
    Are you posting with one eyebrow shaved off?

ilovemyjeep

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    The Browning Buckmark 22 is really a lot of fun ! I have had very little experience with hand guns, so a friend let me borrow his for awhile. It has been great fun and a low stress way to be introduced to the whole thing. Then he let me borrow a colt 380 and I am having a blast with both of them.

I had taken a class in handguns a couple years ago, and came away very intimidated and lost interest real quick. (There was nothing wrong with the class....I just found that I learn better 1 on 1. ) This past summer I got interested again ! YIPPPEEEEEEEEEEEE

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    My wife doesnt really ask my opinion, she just needs a little nudging to get started looking. She usually forms her own opinions, and asks me what I think if she is really interested. She is quite capable of making the same bad decisions that I am, and we both have more than a few guns that spend most of their time in the safe. Not that its a bad thing, but if either of us find something that catches our eye, and its a fair price, it tends to find its way home with us.

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    My wife hates to shoot my Sigma (can't imagine why), so we went to Bradis to find something for her to enjoy. We got some advice from the man behind the counter and showed her about 6 or 7 pistols that seemed to fit her needs. I kept my mouth shut & watched her as she handled each one. She picked the one that felt best in her hand (Browning Buckmark) and she loves to shoot it. I really like it, too. The only downside to this was that she picked the most expensive gun that she looked at, but that's OK - she's happy.

Guys need to remember that men & women don't think alike & that we see the same thing differently, so don't expect her to base her decision on your way of thinking.

That is one shop where you will get that kind of response. They are good people who know the business. IMHO... And of course she picked the most expensive one. Hello??? :D

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI

Nuff said! Man, not WOOOO-man.
    (If I could double purple this I would, but I am not sure that even exists)

Four years ago my woman made her first gun purchase ever at Bradis and I was not even present. For three years prior, I had molded her mind, taught her to shoot, let her shoot all the guns she wanted, took her to various gunshops with me to see what good and bad ones looked like.............and then one day off she went. She picked the shop, the gun and made the deal all by herself. She had been secretly listening to recent conversations I was having with my Brother about a certain type of gun that I did not own yet. She researched it, decided it was in fact cool, and pulled the trigger.

GF bought a gun of her own and we are still together. She has 5 now, only one was a gift from me. She knows how to shoot, she can do what she wants, less stress for me too.

PS I also get points by often having her watch other couples while shooting. The guy is a dork, the woman has the wrong gun and wrong instruction, she fails. I look like a Saint.

David

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2011
    . The only downside to this was that she picked the most expensive gun that she looked at, but that's OK - she's happy.

In a couple years you wont remember or care how much you paid for the gun, besides, over time you will spend a lot more on ammunition than you spent on the gun anyway.

A Buckmark is a good gun, and as someone once said, the dissapointment of poor quality lasts a lot longer than the thrill of low price.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    i shut my mouth and listened to what she wanted. She wanted something that

1) was small and could be carried discreetly
    2) had less recoil than my old snub
    3) held more rounds than my snub (five)
    4) had a manual safety

After letting her handle several guns ranging from the Glock 26 to the LCP, she decided she liked the p238 the best. Of course when she went shooting, she liked my Gen 4 Glock 17 the best :)

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    But, if you let her talk she might not stop.

redcard_small.gif
    redcard_small.gif
    redcard_small.gif
    redcard_small.gif
    redcard_small.gif

Top Bottom