• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • unforgiven1203

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Dayton OH
    for my 2nd black rifle I'm doing a low budget 20" flat top (one piece at a time) The last major piece to buy is the barrel. I've ben looking at some used 20 " government profile barrels, the weight savings wouldbe nice, but I wonder how well they would work when shooting with a fair amount of sling tension. Are they stiff enough? or should I buy a "heavy" barrel?

Gungho_1989

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    SE IDPLS
    Shot a 247, 242, 246 and 236 out of 250 with a tight sling on an M16A2.
    From 200 through 500 meters, at 500 on a good day I could put them all center mass butts didn't even have to move the spotter.
    Are you building a fighting rifle or a match/varmit gun?

Gungho_1989

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    SE IDPLS
    Monkey is straight up good people, although around TSG we try to keep that opinion low key. Monkey has a pretty small head and it can only take minute amounts of swelling. :o)

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    for my 2nd black rifle I'm doing a low budget 20" flat top (one piece at a time) The last major piece to buy is the barrel. I've ben looking at some used 20 " government profile barrels, the weight savings wouldbe nice, but I wonder how well they would work when shooting with a fair amount of sling tension. Are they stiff enough? or should I buy a "heavy" barrel?

Build it with a free float fore end and it doesn't matter.

unforgiven1203

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Dayton OH
    thanks gungho, thats what I needed to know. I'm after a service type rifle. One that will work for about anything and I want to keep it legal for NRA high power matches.

DaKruiser

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Morgan Co.

What kind of deal are you finding on the barrels?

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    Build it with a free float fore end and it doesn't matter.

BINGO. The only way to go IMO. When I was shooting high power I went from a M1A to an AR for many reasons. I bought a Armalite Golden Eagle that had a MASSIVE barrel under the hand guards. I figured that there was no way sling tension would have any effect on the gun and could forgo the added $$$ for a FF tube. Wrong. I could get a 1 MOA vertical shift if I had a good tight sling tension like I like. Don't sound like much but that works out to be 5 MOA or more at 500.

There are some nice FF service rifle tubes out there now.

Top Bottom