• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tal35

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    allen county
    Mark is the new owner I believe. Bill was the old one. At least Bill had the rules down a bit better. Sent in a Fal upper and parts kit and they theought because the parts kit has numbers on it, that it was a gun and that the upper came in with a book on the FAL Full auto, and was shipped in by an SOT that it was a full auto gun. Took a lot of work to convince them and then he told me if he knew how much trouble it was he would never have done it .

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To All,

I agree with the general trend here. H&H has gotten better, but still has room for improvement.

I've stopped in there several times to see if they have anything I am interested in. Most often they do not as I focus on military surplus, but still I check them out once or twice a year.

It "feels" like they have a little click of regulars and if you are "one of them" you are in like Flint. If not you are a potential minor annoyance that they will deign to deal with you.

Their prices are a bit high as far as I'm concerned, but not horribly so.

To end, I think they are trying to improve their customer service skills. If they do something you don't like, complain to the owner. If owners hear enough feedback they will respond to it.

Doug

Lt. Commander

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    Ft. Wayne * Aboite
    Go in their on saturdays. or any day that a FT. Wayne pd car is setting out front, a good guy buy the name of Keith Wallace should be working deal with him, he loves guns, all types, sig, beretta, smith, colt, you name it he has it, is interested in it, looked at, and if he doesn't know he'll get someone that does, I have meet his wife once or twice and she is also into guns, so he has an educated attitdue towards women and guns, he will probably probe a little to guage your knowledge base but then not try and talk down to you, very good guy and one og the few I will deal with in that place.

1+ about Keith. I've known him for many years, He's a great guy and a great cop. He knows his stuff about firearms and is very pleasant to deal with...

Scott

cbutcher

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    H&H Owner

The owner of H&H is a fella named Mark Van Berk. Yes, he's a recent new owner and the store is far more customer friendly than in the past. He does a radio show on NewsTalk 1190am WOWO at 8am Saturday mornings called the "Big Gun Show. In all fairness I work at the station and know Mark so take it for what it's worth. But I think he's the kind of guy that should you ever have a problem you can go to confident in getting resolution.

Shooter5

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Indiana
    I second that. If it's Charlie - I listen to him every morning. Keep up the great job.

Also - where is ZX guns? I've been to Ed Hirschey, but I've never heard of ZX guns.

Thanks,

gunguy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    ZX guns

I second that. If it's Charlie - I listen to him every morning. Keep up the great job.

Also - where is ZX guns? I've been to Ed Hirschey, but I've never heard of ZX guns.

Thanks,

ZX is in Goshen. He is at the Fort Wayne Coliseum show every show and he was at both of the Shipshewana's shows. I think he will be at the South Bend Fairground show on April 4 and 5.

JNG

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    They still have a couple of guys there who act like it makes them mad to deal guns.I wish they would get more friendly help then i might buy more from them.

That and the prices are the real problem. I had a terrible experience there recently. To the owner's credit, when I called later to complain about the service he took the time to make it right. On the downside, he was standing right there when his sales guy was treating me like it was an inconvenience to show me a gun I was planning to buy from them, and he didn't say anything at the time.

The worst part was, I went over lunch, a co-worker who had never been to a gun store asked to tag along. After we left H&H, he asked (with no prompting from me) "Are all gunsalesmen such ***holes?"

The new owner is definitely making an effort to improve the image, but he's shooting himself in the foot by keeping around some of the less pleasant sales staff.

Even with the prices, I would go there a lot more if they they had a store full of Keiths, instead of one Keith and a couple of downright turds. As things stand now, waiting for my monthly orders of ammo, parts, spare mags, and other stuff to reach me in the mail is less inconvenient than H&H's hit-or-miss service.

Last edited:

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    I don't think their prices all that great myself but will agree the new folks acted with courtesy when I walked in the door. The last time I bought a gun there was 12 years ago. It was a Marlin 39 , a little higher than most but the wood was nice and at the time they had 90 days financing too. I still stop by there when I am in Ft.Wayne.

Gamez235

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Upstate
    New owner or not they are still extremely overpriced on just about everything. Living only 3 mins from their location I still drive the extra time to see Russ at Ranger Supply Co. or Barney down at what is now 21st Century (When he's working).

Before I went back on Active duty I dealt with Barney 100%. Since returning to Indiana, I have found that Barney sold the shop. Not to say the new owners and faces aren't great, and I haven't left there pockets a bit lighter and smiling.... No one could replace Barney and Jim. I have bought a few items from 21st since being home, but spend most of my time at Ranger Supply CO. Russ and his crew are great.

Aside from the 1 or 2 friendly employees at H&H it isn't worth the price gouging or not getting friendly service, because they don't know you or you haven't already been a sucker for the H&H markup.

Lt. Commander

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    Ft. Wayne * Aboite
    The owner of H&H is a fella named Mark Van Berk. Yes, he's a recent new owner and the store is far more customer friendly than in the past. He does a radio show on NewsTalk 1190am WOWO at 8am Saturday mornings called the "Big Gun Show. In all fairness I work at the station and know Mark so take it for what it's worth. But I think he's the kind of guy that should you ever have a problem you can go to confident in getting resolution.

Good to see you on the forum Charlie...!!!

Scott

drgnrobo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    ft. wayne
    Although I vowed never to step foot into h & h,A friend of mine went there & said it was under new ownership(2 yrs) I braved it and gave them one more chance and their staff is way better than the last time I was there in Feb. 2002 ....Yeah I held a grudge But I was spoiled by the finest gun shop that ever graced this green earth that went out in the 90's, Lengels Gun shop in Wabash in ,& this is the store that that all other stores should be measured by . great family run business,unbelievable selection(think pole barn full of guns) and fair prices,Does anyone else remember the good ole days when lengels was open?

chrismw5551

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    I was in H&H recently looking at XD's. Service was ok, but I did see them give a minority person the rough treatment at the counter. Not sure what it was about, but they would not deal with him. I prefer Tomlinson's in 'Busco and 21st.

edsinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana
    Well H&H ..hmmm where to start. I had been there once before and the wife and I thougt what arseholes! High prices to boot.:noway:

Anyhow, I was there for my second trip and lets just say things happened. I could have saved $30 by going to Tomlinsons in Busco, but I had permission *wink* to go ahead so I bought my XD. The guy that helped me pick it out was nice but the one that actually sold it to me was well, not no nice. He seemed *bothered* when I was asking about the handgun law and the trips to the range. He then said "I am not going to argue with you about it because I know I am right". Hmmm:noway:

Well, a few hundred dollars later and after many questions to lots of people, he was flat out full of sh&*. :ar15:

See this thread for what my journey entailed.:welcome:My first post in this forum.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/carry_issues_and_self_defense/31544-new_guy_question_on_indiana_law.html

Anyhow, I will be returing to *inform* him that he was WRONG! PERIOD.:n00b:

I will just have to wait to use my free range pass.

I was there getting self defense ammo that others did not have, and they had some so I bought it.

As for going back, I might to look, but a big purchase is out. When I buy my wife a 9mm it will not be there.:patriot:

Good selection at H&H but selection is not everything, Tomlinsons is MUCH better. No Contest. I actually apologized to the guy at Tomlinsons that I did not buy my XD from them and he flat out told me if the wife said get it, then I did the right thing. Timing is Key! That was just an example of the service there.:rockwoot:

mtk469

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 6, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    I have been going to H&H off and on over the years. Old owner Bill was a prick to pretty much everyone and left a bad taste in most peoples mouths. New owner Mark is trying to make it better for sure but his prices IMO are not good. His employees are hit or miss as to service Keith is a nice knowledgeable guy. Every time I am there if Mark is out of his office he seems to make everybody (customers and Employees alike) feel like they are bothering him which I don't like. I have asked him a few questions about things that most of the time he doesn't know what he is talking about. There have been 2 instances where I have purchased something from them that included an extra mag or part or something else that he assured me he either had or would order yet both times I never got them and everytime I asked I got an excuse as to why he still didn't have them. Anyways I realize they are trying to make changes from the old H and H but they still have alot of changing to do.
    Just my $.02

Wesley Willis

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    Indiana
    Their pricing is weird to me. Some stuff seems way too high, other stuff is very reasonable. At one point I was looking for Glock magazines, their prices were very high. Another time I stopped in, not looking for anything, and noticed some magazines for a Kel-tec SU-22 that were 5 bucks cheaper than anywhere I have ever seen, so I bought them. Same thing with their guns...

Top Bottom