• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    So, Spasmo and I are heading back from Michigan and we're making a detour through Ft Wayne. She says "Does your GPS show any gun shops around here?" I say no, and we talk about how gun shops are generally hard to find unless you happen to know the name or where it's located. Just then, I look up and there's H&H Firearms right in front of us!

Needless to say, we stopped in. It was clean and large and had a good selection of both handguns and rifles. Also had a 15-lane 25yd indoor range that looked clean and well-kept. The staff was friendly and we spent a few minutes chatting about a Glock 17L they had in the case.

I ended up buying an AR-15 mag loader and some Surefire earplugs (based on Rhino's recommendation). Prices on firearms were reasonable on most things. Some were a little higher than I'd want to pay. All in all, a nice place to visit and I'd go back.

Pete-FWA

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2008
    Glad you stopped by the Fort on your way home

H & H does have a large, clean, well lit store.

Curious...do you remember the name of the person you chatted with? Everyone I've talked to there has been helpful.

tatters

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    May 27, 2008
    Columbia City
    I can't remember the guy's name who owns the store, but I can tell you they are having to fight to change their image. I think this guy bought it a couple of years ago, and that's a good thing. Used to be the least friendly places around to buy a gun. The guys they hired were traditionally "gun store commandos" and wanabee Ranger types, and some former LEs who knew it all. I heard one phone conversation in which the store clerk stated he didn't have any 9x18 ammo for a pistol. Well.... yes he did, it was Makarov ammo, and as I was right there next to the ammo, I saw it. I kept my mouth shut.

I happen to think they are high priced there, but the place has a nicer attitude now. They greet you coming in the door, and offer to show you whatever you want to look at. They also sponsor a gun talk show on the new FM talk radio station. I think it's on in the morning on Saturdays.

Shooter5

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Indiana
    I agree with Tatters on this. Used to be unpleasant for firearm owners to go in there - I couldn't image what it was like for people curious about firearms.

My perception of being in there a few times in the last year or so, is much improved. There is a new owner who is working hard to establish H&H as a friendly, customer focused, community involved gun range and store.

I applaud his efforts. All that said, I think they could be more competitive on their firearm prices.

mavisky

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    Greater Atlanta Area
    Was just in the other day speaking with Matt Reeb about their XD's. They were about $10 up on Gander Mountain down the street though. Very polite without being pushy.

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    i was bought out about 3 years after Rileys stopped selling wholesale (out of avilla, in). the old owner sorta let it fall apart and be taken over buy the "thug" crowd and employeed a few idiots.

i used to run deliveries to them, every so often, for a good friend supplier.

mavisky

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    Greater Atlanta Area
    Also wanted to add that I used to shoot indoors at their range on my lunch break. Quick and easy check in and it was a good stress reliever at the time. Range is well lit and they'll let you shoot anything there that's handgun caliber although I think they have a "no full-auto" policy.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    did they show you something you didn't want to look at? :dunno:
    No, kind of the opposite.
    Not long after a day at the range trying out a holographic sight by EOTac, I was looking into all the different kinds they have on the net. When I went to H&H, I saw what looked like one on display, but it was a little different. I asked the counter guy if the optics on display were EOTac or clones and he said, "It's like a scope...it's for the top of a gun...do you know what those are for?"
    Fer the love o' gawd, did I not just use the word "optics" and a name brand for one type to boot?
    To top it off, a guy that was also browsing the case overheard the exchange and said something like "those are top notch" or something, and the counter guy just about soiled himself trying to get batteries for it so he could let the other guy "check it out". As the recipient of the "bum's rush", I put the stuff I was going to get...right back on the wall and the shelf. And I left.

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    Go in their on saturdays. or any day that a FT. Wayne pd car is setting out front, a good guy buy the name of Keith Wallace should be working deal with him, he loves guns, all types, sig, beretta, smith, colt, you name it he has it, is interested in it, looked at, and if he doesn't know he'll get someone that does, I have meet his wife once or twice and she is also into guns, so he has an educated attitdue towards women and guns, he will probably probe a little to guage your knowledge base but then not try and talk down to you, very good guy and one og the few I will deal with in that place.

straittactical

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   1
    Dec 16, 2008
    I dont like this place at all. i am only 23 i have bought 2 houses and own more guns than 80 percent of the people. i was in there looking at another AR i have 3. and they didnt want anything to do with me. they would not come over and talk to me i asked a question the answered with like 1 word and went to someone else. " I GUESS A YOUNG MANS MONEY IS NOT GOOD THERE" NEVER WENT BACK

IN_Varmntr

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    DeKalb County
    I checked it out for the first time a few weeks back.

Neat shop, but had a lot of empty wall space to fill up!

I spoke with a large colored gent while in there who was really nice and didn't try pushing anything on me.

There were both LEO and CO present when I was there.

Britton

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Knoxville
    " I GUESS A YOUNG MANS MONEY IS NOT GOOD THERE" NEVER WENT BACK

I'll take your money and make you feel good about it.

I was in this store many many years ago and was told to leave by the former owner. Evidently this college student and member of the military did not buy enough. Silly me I thought paying for college was more important. I vowed on that day that one day I would have my own shop and we would treat everyone with respect and make their gun buying/shoping experiance a good one. And now you have it.

I will beat any advertised price by this store, plus you will always be treated right.

Last edited:

tlcmbc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2009
    Woodburn, In.
    I won't go in there. Last time I was there I was looking for a holster for my Glock and was over at the far wall checking them out with my wife. the large black guy behind the counter really jumped my s##t about having my gun out as I was checking the fit.I would not have cared if he would have been polite about it.I guess a 58 year old man with his wife must pose a big threat to him.

Top Bottom