• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    <snip> the Sig P226. <snip> It isn't, however, for someone with small hands. The Sig 228 or 229 would be the choice there.
    I haven't fired the 228 or 229, but as someone with small hands, I actually preferred the 226 over either of the H&Ks Lars had. The only issue I had with it (and it did have to be pointed out to me because I was such a newb at the time) was that I couldn't handle the trigger pull in DA. 12# is a bit much. I have the P250 now, which is MUCH better in the trigger for me, but I miss the weight of the all-metal frame.

bod

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    Bluffton
    I have handled and shot both hk and sigs. Both shoot great and are very accurate. For me the sigs fit my hands better, The hk seemed a little big for my hands though. But I agree with earlier posts that both are great firearms and anyone will be happy with either choice.

cmamath13

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    Greenwood
    I just purchased my first H&K a few weeks ago. When I purchased it, I was looking at a Beretta 92, CZ 75, H&K P30s, S&W M&P9, Sig Sauer P226. All of these are fine pistols. The shop I was at had all of this pistols in stock (hard to believe I found such a place at this point in time). After holding all of them, I was sold on the feel of the H&K. The other were nice and I consider them excellent, but for me I went with H&K.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Well considering I own one of the "upper end" sigs, and I have a 94' datecoded USP9 that's practically unfired to compare it to, I think I can say something very bluntly.

Smv7VCx.jpg

56YK7XO.jpg

No contest, prefer the H&K infinitely more. If for nothing else than the grip sitting flush with my hand, and the grip size being absolutely perfect. It reminds me of a straighter gripped gen 2 glock compact.

Everything about the gun is much smoother, softer, and more refined. The Sig seems like a perfect example of non-west german sigs to me...

Now, those are an entirely different matter in my view. But none the less, it's apples to oranges. Compare HK against the old west german sigs, and I'd say it's down to user preference and that both are about the finest combat handguns ever built. Up there with the hi-powers, CZs, and some of the recent FNs.

Bottlefed

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Hamilton county
    I have several hk's and sig's I also have both mentioned and I feel as a group ingo maybe we should set up a shoot and tell day. If we get an area large enough to accommodate it would be nice for people to shoot things they never have before. Having this would also make it nice for a situation like this.

BK1962

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    North Liberty
    I prefer older sigs to newer ones. I also prefer the Sigs decocker over a safety. And double action on the first trigger pull with single action after that over single action on every pull. I have a mosquito that functions the same way as my full size and compact sigs. That gun affords me the opportunity to practice with 22's and not alter anything as far as how my weapons function ie. muscle memory. In ecsense everything is the same except for caliber and the felt recoil. I am partial to my 229 in .40 as my most accurate and comfortable EDC gun. Just my thoughts...

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    I've shot HKs before and they just didn't WOW me litle a lot of people say they do.

And I'm still not a polymer gun person.

And I won't spend that much on a firearm with a damn warning label

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Being a fan of the .45ACP, I had both a Sig P220 and an H&K USP 45 at the same time.
    BOTH German made.

The Sig P220 was a fine pistol, but I still gave the nod to the H&K USP 45.
    Mainly due to the added magazine capacity, and lower maintenance requirement of the polymer frame USP 45.

Sold the Sig P220 to a friend, and kept the USP 45.

Last edited:

Paul30

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    I have shot the Sig 226 and the HK Tactical. I don't know if the Tactical 45 shoots like the HK you are looking at. My HK Tactical shot very well, and very accurate with no malfunctions. Great Gun for shooting. My Sig226 feels more like a real gun being all metal. My Sig shoots as well as the HK but does not recoil as hard and allows me to get back on target faster. My choice would be the Sig. You can also get a Sig 22 cal upper for it or you can get the 229 or 226 in a 22 and buy the 9mm or 40 cal / 357 upper for it as they are the exact same host frame. Cheap practice with 22 with your favorite gun. I have used my 226 for years and feel confident it would not let me down when I really need it.

SmokinSigs357

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Well considering I own one of the "upper end" sigs, and I have a 94' datecoded USP9 that's practically unfired to compare it to, I think I can say something very bluntly.

Smv7VCx.jpg

Everything about the gun is much smoother, softer, and more refined. The Sig seems like a perfect example of non-west german sigs to me...

Now, those are an entirely different matter in my view. But none the less, it's apples to oranges. Compare HK against the old west german sigs, and I'd say it's down to user preference and that both are about the finest combat handguns ever built. Up there with the hi-powers, CZs, and some of the recent FNs.

The only difference between my many W. German SIGS, my German made SIGS, my Montage Suisse SIGS and my American ones, are the fact that I can shoot +P ammo in the American ones. The folded carbon slides on the other pieces will blow apart after much use. The whole "German SIGs are better" is a complete myth and fueled by snobs on the internet.

My P229 Extreme, P226/MK25, P239 SAS Gen 2, and P226 TacOps are as accurate as my German SIGS, the fit and finish is as high quality. I love collecting and shooting the German SIGS, but I'd carry an American made one based on reliability and ability to shoot hotter loads.

I own a HK P30s and absolutely LOVE that gun as well. It feels better in the hand than any other gun (well, my Walther PPQ is close...and should be included in this 'contest' because it beats the SIGS and HK in price and is a HELLUVA gun!) but I prefer the all metal SIG because I can control it better.

Last edited:

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    I converted a P2000 from v2 to v4. I never thought I'd ever fall in love with any pistol more than a good quality 1911. I was wrong. The P2K would be my vote for best pistol of all time.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    The only difference between my many W. German SIGS, my German made SIGS, my Montage Suisse SIGS and my American ones, are the fact that I can shoot +P ammo in the American ones. The folded carbon slides on the other pieces will blow apart after much use. The whole "German SIGs are better" is a complete myth and fueled by snobs on the internet.

My P229 Extreme, P226/MK25, P239 SAS Gen 2, and P226 TacOps are as accurate as my German SIGS, the fit and finish is as high quality. I love collecting and shooting the German SIGS, but I'd carry an American made one based on reliability and ability to shoot hotter loads.

I own a HK P30s and absolutely LOVE that gun as well. It feels better in the hand than any other gun (well, my Walther PPQ is close...and should be included in this 'contest' because it beats the SIGS and HK in price and is a HELLUVA gun!) but I prefer the all metal SIG because I can control it better.

Considering a trip in the mountains of colorado that was no more than 10 hours, and was totally dry was enough to make my stainless sig look like some brake rotors that had set out in the rain, I've never looked at them the same.

That, the excessive stacking in the double action, and huge amount of creep before the trigger breaks whether single or double action, just turns me off entirely. Especially when my HK feels nearly as nice as my S&W 686SSR in double action, and doesn't have any of those issues the sig does.

I also take issue with the level of muzzle flip the gun generates. I've never fired a semi-auto that had such exaggerated muzzle flip before that sig, and haven't since. Hell, my 454 casull doesn't generate as much muzzle flip as that thing does. It's why I got a 357 sig barrel, and decided to go that route for the gun, which helped a fair amount. It still feels far less controllable than any of the polymer guns I have in those calibers.

I don't know, I just don't feel like the quality is there, and it certainly doesn't feel like or shoot like a $1000 gun.

I've been considering for a long time trading off that PE for a standard P226 in 9mm, I may eventually, I just have a hard time picturing it being better than an elite series gun.

Last edited:

Azbsn1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    I can tell you with 100% confidence that HK with outperform Sig all day, all year. I have both (SIG 226 40cal and HK USP tactical 40cal) and the HK is smoother, more accurate, more balanced, and better built. I like SIG guns too, but their mass production has killed their quality. JMO!

antsi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    I would look for an older West German model as I believe they are higher quality than the newer ones.

I've had both the older West German SIGs and the newer generation with a German-made frame and US-made slide. The biggest difference is that the older ones had a fabricated slide made of stamped carbon steel, and the US-made ones have a machined stainless steel slide. I do somewhat prefer the older ones for carry because they're lighter, but I have never experienced any quality problems with either.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Sorry, OP, but you're not going to get a satisfactory answer here. Everyone has their preference, and when it comes to high-dollar, top quality guns like the HK or the SIG, it really comes down to preference and shoot-ability, FOR YOU. I have owned several SIG's and HK's, currently own a USPc .40 and one of the new M11-A1 marked SIG's. I enjoy both of them very much. It really comes down to what feels best to you, and perferably, what shoots better for you.

Top Bottom