H&R camo 308 scoped single shot NIB for $230. Buy or don't buy?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I just left Dick's Sporting Goods and while there I saw they had the camo stock & forend version of their 308 single shot with a cheapo scope for $230. So long as a guy doesn't think he's going to be hitting a watermelon at 1000 yards it seems like that rifle would a great gun for some plinking and hunting.

I've been thinking about another 308 just to have around the house so that I can have another gun feeding off the same ammo as my dpms 308B.

Reading reviews on these things leads me to believe that I could 1 1/2" groups at 100 yards, and with a burris fullfield 3-9 ballistic plex I've already got laying around it seems like I could reach out even farther with this gun. I'm thinking it'd be a sweet K.I.S.S. rifle.

Has anyone here bought one of these in the past? Is so what'd you think of it?

Think I should buy it for $230?

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    I would think that would be really neat and a good price!, but there are those on here who dislike break open single shots....I would love to have a .308 H&R...if you want it and can afford it...go for it! Around here those go for almost $300!

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Update.

Well, after getting the gun home and spending more time with it a few days later I found the action to be a bit loose. I'm going to take it to a gunsmith to have him check it out, but I'll likely be sending the gun back to H&R to have them repair it.

booey50

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 27, 2009
    nw indiana
    my h&r chambered in the 500 s&w is very loose to, but i like it like that as long as the recoil does not open it by itself you should be good to go. I was looking at a .223 yesterday (brand new) and it was so stiff I could barely open it. I like the looseness of mine for faster follow up shots.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I asked a guy on another forum who is kind of a H&R handi rifle guru and he said it's a big no-no. The action should be locking up tight or it's a matter or time before something goes dangerously wrong. I'm taking mine to a gunsmith to see what he thinks, but I'm sure he's going to say I need to send it back to the factory.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I have a factory ported Survivor model in .308. The action is tight and it shoots around 1-2" at 100 yds

I'm actually considering buying the survivor stock for the gun because I like the idea of it. What ammo are you running that's giving you 1-2" groups? I already have a 308 that I load ammo up for and I'm hoping I'll just run this off the same batch.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I'm actually considering buying the survivor stock for the gun because I like the idea of it. What ammo are you running that's giving you 1-2" groups? I already have a 308 that I load ammo up for and I'm hoping I'll just run this off the same batch.

I have taken it to the range only once and, to be honest, I do not remember what factory load I was shooting. Most likely it was Winchester 150 gr powerpoint.

I bought it so I could play with chamber adapters, did a mini review here: https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...3515-chamber_inserts_-_mini_range_report.html

Here is a target with a 50 yd grouping shooting off my range bag. I later moved it out to 100 yds and it kept pretty tight.

xHwyLT

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2011
    Monroe
    I'm glad you bought the rifle, I would have told you to take it. You got it at a decent price. You can just feed it the same loads that you feed your DPMS. All you have to do is adjust the scope, sight it in, and voila! You now have two rifles that use the same load. That's what I did with all 4 of my .308's.
    What do you mean about your rifle being loose? I was under the impression that it was NIB. If you mean, the barrel drops easily when you hit the barrel release button, that's normal, the looseness comes with use. If you mean the barrel wiggles when its closed, that is a problem. Try this test, slam the barrel closed, take the fore end off, grab the barrel and without pressing the barrel release button, try to pull the barrel down. If it unlocks, you have a problem, if it stays closed, I wouldn't worry about it.
    Handis (HR/NEF rifles) settle in as you shoot them. I found the groups get better, the more you shoot them. Most importantly, you can take advantage of the barrel accessory program. As you can probably tell from my post, I have a couple of them, along with a couple more additional barrels in different calibers and gauges. I even have a .50 cal. barrel that I use for muzzle loading season. Good luck with your new gun. If you need more information on HR/NEF guns, I recommend that you go to Gray***** Outdoors, they have an entire section devoted to HR/NEF guns.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    my h&r chambered in the 500 s&w is very loose to, but i like it like that as long as the recoil does not open it by itself you should be good to go. I was looking at a .223 yesterday (brand new) and it was so stiff I could barely open it. I like the looseness of mine for faster follow up shots.

Man, those .500s&w H&Rs are a bit of a beast. I'd shoot it again but you KNOW you're shooting an impressive round. It rocked me pretty good and I'm not a lil guy. Some of the other guys out with us that day decided they weren't going to try their hand with it. If I remember right, the action was a bit loose but not enough that there was a problem.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Well, I finally got the gun over to my trusted gunsmith. After several "wow's" and wide open eyes he said I needed to send it back to the factory. He said he could fix it, but with it being a new gun I should send it back to the factory. I was afraid he was going to say that, but I was also expecting to hear it also. We agreed that it was a matter of time before that gun would open up and blow up in my face. So much for finding such a great deal.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Just in case anyone is interested I sent the gun in for repair on 4-18. I got it back last week, and the action is now as tight as a vault.

Today I got out to Youngs range with it for its maiden voyage. I put a burris fullfield II 2-7x with ballistic plex on it and rezeroed it for 100 yards in short order. I used some 168gr ammo I worked up for another rifle and I was very lucky that the ballistic markings lined up nearly perfectly. I only fired 15 rounds out of the gun because I had other projects I wanted to work on. In the 15 rounds the gun was zeroed at 100 yards and then I confirmed the marking were right on at 200, 300, 400, & 500 yards. This rifle is a completely keep it simple hunting rifle that's good out to 500 yards.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I bought it new and the action was loose so I was sent back. Now its the way it should have been when I bought it.

Top Bottom