• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jdoxs

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Just bought an H&R Ultra-Rifle in a 45-70 Cal. For those that are not familiar with it,.... It is a standard "H&R" single barrel break down action. With the additions of a 24 inch stainless steel hammer forged barrel and a stainless steel receiver. Accompanied with a laminated thumb hole stock and a "Weaver" rail atop the receiver.
    The down side is that upon opening the box, the cosmetic issues that it had going made it looks nothing like the one that I saw on display last year at the "1500 Show". So I called H&R for a return to get what I wanted,... they said that they will make it right.
    "In a nut shell", most of the problems are cosmetic, starting with the laminated "Cinnamon" colored, satin finished stock, being of two different colors of Cinnamon. The fore-stock is lighter in color than the butt stock. Then there was the issue of there being shipping wear (card board sleeves, etc.), circling the butt stock where it rubbed and formed a bright polished ring around the area of the stock it touched. As far as the machining goes,.. the one that I saw at the gun show had a nice polished breech with crisp lines and no burrs. The one that was shipped to me had rough machine marks left on the breech face (that looked to be made by a dull end mill cutter), along with a heavy sharp burr encompassing the chambers counter-bored area for the case rim.
    I will keep you all posted with what happens. Ya, Ya,... I know, before it all starts, Remington now owns Marlin, New England and H&R, and there have been issues with the Marlins and who knows what else. Call me stupid if you want, but I have hopes that Remington will do something about it all, if we just keep "chiming in"!
    However, I will say this much about the rifle,.. For what it is and no more than it cost, it feels very well built. The one at the show and the one I received both have very solid tight actions and the wood to metal fit works for me! A very well balanced rifle and with the stock configuration (not a true Monticarlo by my standards), the line of sight for me seems to be perfect for a scope, however I am going to use a ghost ring sight.
    Normally I shoot a "Sharps" in competition and hunt Deer (when outside of Indiana), with a Marlin 1895 CB with a 26 inch barrel (or a 3x9 scoped Marlin XL 30-06), over iron sights. I just wanted a single shot hunting rifle without breaking the bank on a "High Wall" or something similar. As I said, I do have high hopes for this rifle, without setting my hopes too high. I will yell out an update once I know for sure what they will do to make things right. Perhaps I will send photos at that time.

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    142   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    "However, I will say this much about the rifle,.. For what it is and no more than it cost, it feels very well built."

You hit it right on the head with that statement. It is a serviceable gun at a good price point and they get it there by saving on finishing. I hope you get something more in line with your expectations.

jdoxs

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    If I can ever figure out how to get around on this site without deleting photos and such, I will down load a few "before and after photo's" of the rifle,.. All too often, my big fingers get in the way of my work on the key pad,...lol!

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I just wanted a single shot hunting rifle without breaking the bank on a "High Wall" or something similar.

I completely understand. I've always lusted after the H&R Buffalo Classic's in 45-70 for this very reason. I've owned a couple handi rifles over the years and they've been pretty decent. Once I bought a 308 and after I got home found the barrel to receiver fit to be loose & sloppy so I had to send it back in. They took care of the problem and when I got it back it was tight as a bank vault.

If I ever buy another H&R handi rifle it'll be on of their 44mags.

jdoxs

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    My question is: Will the H&R handle the hotter 45-70 ammo like the Marlin will?

I don't know about the higher pressures! When talking with H&R, I was told that is would handle pretty much anything that was out there. But when I told them that I reload, they had no comment and wouldn't elaborate,... but that is normal. But the heavier loads are why I own three of the other brand rifles that will handle them. My purpose for the rifle is for experimentation with a modified case and to reload for deer with a 340 to 405 Gr. cast bullet.
    None the less, when ever in doubt, call the manufacture and find out about the pressures that the firearm will handle. A Marlin isn't that much more in price, and I already have one of them. The reason for the H&R other than what I mentioned above, was it's availability of parts and it's mechanical simplicity, not to mention that the turn around time was about 14 days from the day I ordered it. So by today's politically correctness and standards (don't cha' just love them boys in Congress!!!), it was easy to obtain. Plus a 45-70 caliber has such potential,... since it's introduction in 1873, all sort of experimentation has been attached with it, from what it was originally meant for, to being able to shoot foraging rounds (shot), it's just like the 30-06, or a "Timex", "it just keeps on tick'in"!
    I just love the old stuff. Plus, I have found that where I buy ammo, the older stuff is still on the shelves!!!

Top Bottom