H1N1: WIFE PREGNANT: DR SAYS "TAKE VACCINE" - WHAT DO YOU SAY?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pamcake

Don't Tread On Me
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Franklin
    My thoughts on various postings in this thread

I'd likely personally take the novel 2009 H1N1 vaccine, whether or not the virus mutates from its current, mostly mild flu-symptom complex, into a severe, killing syndrome like that experienced in 1918-19. I receive seasonal flu vaccine every year; 09 H1N1 is just another flu vaccine. Same process, same manufacturers, different virus. Each year, there is a new virus in the seasonal flu shot already. It has kept me from having influenza-like illnesses since I first started receiving them in the 80's. But I'm not pregnant. You have the complex situation! I'd have to vote "yes" for your wife. Until the vaccine is available, one could theoretically hope to personally "catch" the novel 2009 H1N1 naturally & experience the usually mild H1N1 flu & let one's immune system make them immune. And pray it didn't recombine/hybridize with H5N1 (avian flu) or bio-engineered (terrorist) strains that might be drug-resistant or lethal. But, one never knows if they will get a severe syndrome & die from the natural infection, either.

bigus_D, your OB-Gyn is following ACOG guidelines/position statement. And, pregnancy is considered an immune-suppressed state, also high risk due to the extra "load" placed on the cardiovascular & pulmonary systems. And the stats & data obtained from the spring & summer around the world & here in USA so far say that even though pregnant ppl made up 1% of the population, they made up 6% of the hospitalized (very sick) H1N1 victims, or 6 times increased risk of being ill enough to be hospitalized &/or poor outcome (death/disability). That last link has 4 CDC info videos, the 2nd (August 27) is about pregnancy & new moms. Says the best way to not transmit it to the infant < 6 months old is for everyone around the baby to be vaccinated. Vaccine isn't for infants under age 6 months.

Testing is ongoing in healthy adults, pregnant adults, & healthy children now. That couldn't be said a week or 3 ago.

"Will the benefits of the 2009 H1N1 influenza vaccines outweigh the risks? Is this something I should talk to my healthcare provider about?
    Currently the 2009 H1N1 influenza virus (sometimes called “swine flu”) virus seems to be causing serious health outcomes for:

1. healthy young people from birth through age 24;
    2. pregnant women; and
    3. adults 25 to 64 who have underlying medical conditions.
    Seasonal influenza vaccines are highly effective in preventing influenza disease. The expectation is that a vaccine against 2009 H1N1 influenza would probably work in a similar fashion to the seasonal influenza vaccines. CDC and FDA believe that the benefits of vaccination with the 2009 H1N1 influenza vaccine will far outweigh the risks."

Remember that if your wife does get an influenza illness from her very high risk job, she can go on antiviral treatment. ($$$)

"What is the best source of information for 2009 H1N1 influenza vaccine safety? In addition to talking openly with your healthcare providers, CDC also encourages you to stay informed by checking the following Web sites often for the most up-to-date news and information: CDC 2009 H1N1 Flu and Flu.gov."

Yes, it is still controversial because it isn't fully tested YET. But I don't like sites like mercola's because he has referenced himself in his own articles, mis-interpreted other references (I've looked) & references other websites that I believe do the same, thus perpetuating some false information or distortions. YMMV.

We are in "uncharted territory", so to speak, with the 2009 H1N1. Disease research has grown, evolving into an entity that can produce a vaccine quickly (very historical!). Now accompanied by active tracking of a new virus and coordination internationally of the statistics. If our government didn't ask for a 2009 H1N1 vaccine to be prepared, and 09H1N1 becomes deadly, then the government failed. If the government got the 2009 H1N1 vaccine ready & administers it & 09H1N1 doesn't become a problem (in hindsight), then the government failed by exposing ppl to monetary costs, potential (yet unproven) vaccine troubles, & loses the population's faith. The government will lose either way.

BTW, there is thimerosol-free 2009 H1N1 vaccine that will be available (more $$ no doubt because it is packaged in single-dose vials instead of multi-dose vials). And no adjuvant is in the formulation (like aluminum compounds). An injectable form as well as the intra-nasal form is planned.
    "Since 2001, no new vaccine licensed by FDA for use in children has contained thimerosal as a preservative, and all vaccines routinely recommended by CDC for children under six years of age have been thimerosal-free, or contain only trace amounts, except for multi-dose formulations of influenza vaccine." "Unfortunately, we have not seen reductions in the numbers of children identified with autism indicating that the cause of autism is not related to a single exposure such as thimerosal."

The posted comments on the drug reps are interesting! I can say that they don't come to some ER's any more due to hospital policies put in place over the last 10 years. And therefore my ER & the Clarian hospitals' ERs don't have any samples to give to patients. Nowadays, the reps like to go to private offices. Yes, they provide lunch & a sales pitch. It's their job. And samples for the doc to give away. Yeah, many of them could be models. Sorry, that didn't sway me (I'm female)... & the men I remember most was a fat black man & an older man that was there before my father retired! Also, increasingly residency programs won't allow drug reps to provide goodies any more because of new policies; drug reps there are now sort-of forced into, at the most, providing funding for a lecture/speaker that they did not choose. Now, does that stop private offices from letting the drug reps come--no. I've personally been in a waiting room & seen them bring their little pull-behind trolleys loaded with goodies. At least things are changing with time. (google "no free lunch"). Just ask your provider for a med that's on the "$4 list" and you'll avoid all those high-priced, possibly influenced, prescriptions!

bigus_D, has your Ob-Gyn discussed receiving the seasonal influenza & tdap vaccine too? Don't forget about those by being focused on the future 09 H1N1 vaccine.

Hey, I'd like to see this as a poll, too! That could be fun!

csaws, keep in mind that if your children ever want to travel abroad, they may want some immunizations. Polio, measles, Hepatitis A/B, diphtheria, etc still maim/kill in countries that don't have "herd immunity" like we enjoy here (general population immune & thus it would be unusual to catch the infection):patriot:. Thank goodness most people here get vaccinated!

....................................................................................................
    In the end, it all comes down to "who do you believe", and I can't change that, but either way do your own research & keep current. Unknowns are still unknowns, and we will always have them. Until all questions are answered in time, many opinions will circulate.:popcorn:

Hope I didn't kill this thread...

ocsdor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Lafayette, IN
    If it hasn't been pointed out yet, then here it is. Congress made it so no one can sue the vaccine makers. So, if something bad comes from taking the vaccine, you and your family are SOL.

I'd tell the doctor to eat :poop:

bwhamilton

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    PROTIP:

The H1N1 vaccine, like all flu vaccines, is a combo of flu virus' to combat the strain(s) that they think will be most likely. In stats, think those that fall under a normal distribution. This is why people who get the flu shot still get sick with the flu, as their strain was not "covered."

The H1N1 flu has mutated a dozen times thus far and is only bound to continue, this vaccine while it may have some preventative abilities, can not handle mutated strains, thus she is likely taking a shot for no reason.

(Also the kid would get the flu shot, and god knows what it would do to an unborn fetus).

Pamcake

Don't Tread On Me
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Franklin
    Seasonal (usual, yearly) Flu shots contain proteins from 3 virus strains. They are what is predicted to be the most common strains circulating during the traditional flu season, based on the prior year's viruses surveillance & typing . The 3 virus strains are adjusted yearly based on what is circulating abroad, because that generally is what makes it to the United States. Sometimes the epidemiologists predict wrong (since they are doing this, after all, a year in advance), and the seasonal flu shot is not a good "match". That happened ~2 yrs ago.
    Seasonal flu shots have always contained 2 Influenza "A" strains & 1 Influenza "B" strain.

The 2009 "swine" flu H1N1 shot only contains 1 virus strain, the "swine" flu H1N1 virus. There are several names for this virus that have been perpetuated by the news media outlets. It is officially now named "2009 H1N1" by the CDC. But it is also known as "Swine Flu", "pandemic" flu, "novel H1N1", etc. Sometimes it is difficult to keep all the different "flu's" straight.

The bottom line is, it would have been nice to be able to include the 2009 'swine" H1N1 in the seasonal flu shot! Yes, in one sense it is just another 'flu'. But like all flu's, it can kill and you can't predict who it will kill (who would have benefited from vaccination), but so far the data indicate that healthy, young people & children & pregnant women are having most of the severe/deadly complications. Therefore, they are the ones that are at highest risk for complications that can be prevented by the vaccine.

The good news is that the 2009 H1N1 vaccine is still an good match to the pandemic "swine" flu that is circulating. It has not mutated yet:

"...The FDA has licensed the [2009 'swine'] H1N1 vaccine from four of the five manufacturers, and that's one of the important steps towards making the vaccines available. We also have data now that there's a good antibody response to the vaccines, that adults appear to have a robust antibody response that suggests that a single dose should provide protection. And additionally, there's been no mutation in the virus. So right now there's every indication that we have a good match between the virus that's causing disease and the vaccines we have to be able to prevent it. And that's critical to be able to anticipate that we'll have a very effective vaccine for prevention. The H1N1 vaccine is an influenza vaccine. It's pretty much identical to the seasonal flu vaccines. It's just directed against this new virus. It raises the question of why isn't it in the seasonal flu vaccine this year? Simple reason is the virus didn't exist at the time that the seasonal flu vaccine was being formulated."

bigjoe1968

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Recent report from Fox news (look it up on YouTube) says that Massachusettes is proposing legislation that would allow non-medical personel to use martial law to invade homes and administer H1N1 vaccinations to children without parental consent and to incarcerate the parents in they do not consent.
    Massachusettes judge, Andrew Napolitano, suggests that if the law is passed, it will incite a revolt.

So to answer the question, NO! DO NOT take it! Everything that a woman puts into her body while pregnant is transferred to the fetus. Not only would she be endangering her life by accepting the naccine but she will be endangering your child's life.

If the government is willing to enact martial law to administer the the drug then it is not good for the Patriot.

eatsnopaste

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    South Bend
    I'm kind of confused about some of the posts, are you against ALL flu vaccinations or just the h1n1? You know they aren't recommending people my age (50's) get the shot unless there is some kind of chronic illness that suppress your immune system because they believe sometime in the past, either another flu shot or more likely a past influenza illness has left us slightly older folks with at least a partial form of immunity. I've stated my beliefs before...better living through chemicals and some of them come from Doctors and the best ones come from pharmaceutical companies! We have the worlds best medical facilities and minds...why not use them?

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    eatsnopaste,

I think many on this board are saying just "no to N1H1 shot" because of the very short testing period don on it. That is what my concern is as well. I've taken the "flu shot" for about 4 years now in the fall since my 1st born was born. Per the recommendation of my baby's doc she advised that the parents of new borns as well as little kids should get the shot not becuase we needed it (parents) but becuase it helped ensure that the kids did not get sick from the parents getting the shot. Okay makes some since at least to me @ the time.

I did not fear the flu shot (well the actual taking oif the shot yes) but nt the stuff inside the shot becuase I had heard about it before, it has been around forever and I "assumed" that lots of testing has/had been done on it.

With N1H1 it's a different story. You (nt you directly but just a figure of speak) are telling me that in under 1 year a single company has created the N1H1 shot to help fight the N1H1 virus and it works. Hum.... Hum... It takes years and years before the FDA approves other medications how did this one get the green light so fast! In under 1 year they found the shot? Are you sure this was not profit driven? Okay even if it does work have they really tested it on a huge sample of people to make sure it works, it won't kill us, etc... They could not have been testing for 1 year since it took 1 year to make it.

So that is my biggest concern. Plus the swine flu or N1H1 virus is nothing more than Influenza A (H1N1) virus is a subtype of influenzavirus A (per Influenza A virus subtype H1N1 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) so it's just anther type of "flu" as in the type we fight every winter. So it's not the black plague or aids, etc which we have no cure for. In essence proper hygiene is really the key or is it not?

confused and conceren but not willing to just take a shot becuase the gov says to take it. Something just smells fishy on this one.

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    jediagh,

I believe you answered your own question. Why were they able to make a new vaccine so quickly? Well, it is because this is just another strain of the influenza virus. Why should you take the vaccine? Well... because you don't want to get the flu.

For a pregnant woman, getting the flu posses serious health threats. And it has been long proven safe for women and their unborn children to take flu vaccines. There is nothing different about this one except that the current influenza strain going around is a more powerful than typical.

Of course, there are those that completely disagree with taking any vaccines. There are those that and may or may not believe that we shouldn't have vaccinated against smallpox, polio, mumps, measles, or diphtheria. There are those that won't take their diabetic children to the doctor for insullin and would rather see them die at God's will than provide them with healthcare. These people probably won't get the H1N1 vaccine.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Ok, I didn't read the whole thread, and I'm not sure if you went through with it or not, but HELL ****************** NO!!!!!!!!!

Man, I really hope you talked her out of it. REALLY REALLY HOPE YOU TALKED HER OUT OF IT....

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I work in a hospital and get mine free but I am not taking it. Probably a chip in it anyways.

I was wondering about this. I was told that they would have nano chips in the shot, but saw on the news where the ones given to Marion and Hendricks county would come in the form of FluMist... :dunno: how they would get a chip in those....

Pamcake

Don't Tread On Me
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Franklin
    Most recent CDC Update on H1N1

Posters might be advised to read all posts before replying, as some false vaccine beliefs have already been dispelled.

Otherwise, here are some tidbits from yesterday's CDC release, to help keep us up-to-date with what is known SO FAR. Indiana is now in the "widespread" category for influenza for the first time!

"...through late august, we can report that about 100 pregnant women in the United States have required intensive care unit hospitalization for H1N1 flu. Sadly, 28 pregnant women in the U.S. have died so far from the H1N1 influenza... remind women and doctors and nurse midwives that antiviral medicine can be a very important treatment for pregnant women who have respiratory illness...

""Operator: thank you... Our first question is from Elizabeth Weise of USA Today.
    "Elizabeth Weise: Hi. Thanks so much for taking my call. In talking to parents and pediatricians, I'm hearing a lot of concern that the H1N1 vaccine is not sufficiently tested. I'm wondering, were any corners cut on clinical trials? Is there any reason that people should be worried? Or is that -- is there any basis for that is this.
    "Anne Schuchat: You know, safety is a top priority to us. And what i want people to know is that no corners have been cut at all. The H1N1 vaccine is being produced exactly the same way that the seasonal flu vaccines are produced, with exactly the same careful oversight. We've gone a further step to that, and the clinical trials have not found any red flags in terms of safety. Safety is just extremely important to all of us. And it's something we take very seriously. ...

"... I understand from the call this week that there are 3.4 serious adverse events per 1 million flu vaccinations. That would -- I presume that's for 15 years of data. So I assume that is from the injectable vaccine. Do you have similar information for the FluMist? Is the serious adverse event rate the same? Thank you. ...
    "...Anne Schuchat:
    ...I can tell you that the nasal spray has different adverse events than the injected vaccine. Both contain small amounts of eggs. The flu viruses are grown up in eggs to produce those vaccines. Both vaccines are contraindicated in people who have egg allergies. The nasal spray as it was tested, it was found that in children who had asthma, it could cause problems. So it's not recommended for kids with asthma. And it's also not recommended for children under 2years of age, because there were adverse events related to that in the very young. In general, though, it's a very well tolerated vaccine in healthy adults and children over the age of 2."

(Note: the live intranasal flu vaccines contain no thimerosal. never have.)

Last edited:

Pamcake

Don't Tread On Me
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Franklin
    "Will the 2009 H1N1 influenza vaccine contain thimerosal?"..."The 2009 H1N1 influenza vaccines that FDA is licensing (approving) will be manufactured in several formulations. Some will come in multi-dose vials and will contain thimerosal as a preservative. Multi-dose vials of seasonal influenza vaccine also contain thimerosal to prevent potential contamination after the vial is opened. ...

"Some vaccine manufacturers will be producing 2009 H1N1 influenza vaccine in single-dose units, which will not require the use of thimerosal as a preservative. In addition, the live-attenuated version of the vaccine, which is administered intranasally (through the nose), is produced in single-units and will not contain thimerosal."

Pamcake

Don't Tread On Me
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Franklin
    I don't want any of that thimerosal in my/my child's body.

"I have concerns about the use of thimerosal. Is thimerosal still being used?"

"People have a right to expect the vaccines they receive are safe and effective. CDC and FDA also hold vaccines to the highest standards of safety. That is why CDC and FDA continually evaluate new scientific information about the safety of vaccines....

"Since 2001, no new vaccine licensed by FDA for use in children has contained thimerosal as a preservative, and all vaccines routinely recommended by CDC for children under six years of age have been thimerosal-free, or contain only trace amounts, except for multi-dose formulations of influenza vaccine. ...

"This was done as a precautionary step and not because there was evidence confirming that thimerosal-containing vaccines were causing health problems. The most recent and rigorous scientific research does not support the hypothesis that thimerosal-containing vaccines are harmful."

Adrenaline

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    North Carolina
    I do not know what I would do, but I am also not preggo and have no idea if I would take it if I was. I have a very healthy immune system (anyone have some wood to knock on), so maybe not.

Top Bottom