• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    When I'm writing training curriculum the standard for our target audience of adults is an Eighth Grade education level. I see InGO as right around there on average. There's also the presumption that as a more conversational format, the formal rules of writing are not as enforced as they are if one is writing for publication. I know that in my own case I am not as careful to edit what I've written on sites such as this as usually I'm doing so quickly.

In principle I can agree with you: I find good writing as much an art form as what is actually being said, and it is harder to take seriously those whose writing is atrocious. Having said that though, I also tend to think less of people who make a big deal of it and come across pretentious in their criticisms.

Last edited:

misconfig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2009
    Avon
    While I understand not *everyone* is geared to practice any proper grammar. The only ones that really tick me off is not understanding contractions and HUGE PARAGRAPHS // run on sentences.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    When I'm writing training curriculum the standard for our target audience of adults is an Eighth Grade education level. I see InGo as right around there on average. There's also the presumption that as a more conversational format, the formal rules of writing are not as enforced as they are if one is writing for publication. I know that in my own case I am not as careful to edit what I've written on sites such as this as usually I'm doing so quickly.

In principle I can agree with you: I find good writing as much an art form as what is actually being said, and it is harder to take seriously those whose writing is atrocious. Having said that though, I also tend to think less of people who make a big deal of it and come across pretentious in their criticisms.

Well I watched the show and know I ain't smarter than a 5th grader:D

indianajoe

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 24, 2009
    Fishers
    When I'm writing training curriculum the standard for our target audience of adults is an Eighth Grade education level. I see InGO as right around there on average. There's also the presumption that as a more conversational format, the formal rules of writing are not as enforced as they are if one is writing for publication. I know that in my own case I am not as careful to edit what I've written on sites such as this as usually I'm doing so quickly.

What he said.

I wanted to be pretentious. I just came across as precocious... and I'm way too old for that.

db1959

Resident Dumbass I
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    In a garage
    Whilst I can spell and use proper grammer, most of the time I choose not too. Its that addin n subtractin n dividin n multiplyin that confounds me. :D

Last edited:

chraland51

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Camby Area
    Way back in 1968, my senior high school English teacher told me that I would not make it past my freshman year in college because I did not think logically and was unable to clearly and concisely put my thoughts into writing. Maybe she was correct. However, her standards were probably much too high as I have had past governors sign letters that I had written as well as the executive staff of the state agency that I have worked for for over 37 years. However, that may also just be some indication of the quality of the people that I have worked for over the years. Thanks a lot Mrs. Rose.

Top Bottom