Hail / other storm damage claims from 6/25 storms?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Excepting those of you with tornado damage - any of y'all have roof damage claims from hail?

A buddy in an adjacent 'hood to mine said they had golf-ball sized hail. He has damage and has already begun a claim.

I didn't see hail that big at my house literally 2100 ft away from his. But I did see quarter-sized hail.

Licensed roofing inspector told me that mine is "borderline". Same thing told to a neighbor a few houses down.

1DOWN4UP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2015
    North of 30

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    If you don't mind what is RCV and ACV?

We have a claim in for ours now. Doesn't sound good from what TF is describing.

Also a car that got hammered pretty good.

View attachment 284466
    I may be wrong here..
    But
    RCV replacement cost value
    ACV actual cash value as in they deprecate the cost of the new roof based on the age of the shingles.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    The OG and I stood at our front door and watched marble sized hail come down. It left some very small dents on the hood of her SUV. Our current roof is about 10 years old, being replaced then due to a similar event.

Something interesting I noticed just yesterday - all the contractor yard signs are just on our street. When you enter our subdivision 2500 ft to the west there are no roofing contractor yard signs to be found, only when you turn onto our street. They were knocking on doors the very next day after the storm. How did they know where the hail came down and where it didn't? I suppose there is some precipitation map somewhere that they can get their hands on.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    If you don't mind what is RCV and ACV?

We have a claim in for ours now. Doesn't sound good from what TF is describing.

Also a car that got hammered pretty good.

View attachment 284466
    Wow, That is for sure a new roof, gutters and probably even more. That is big hail AVC is Actual Cash Value, which means insurance gives you what your roof was worth at time of damage. So if you have a $10K roof and they say it is 13 years old out of 25 year life, they deduct 50% and you get $5000 minus deductible :( RCV is Replacement Cost Value.......which means if your roof cost $10K 20 years ago, they have to give you the $20K it will take to replace it today. In layman terms, ACV is a prorated policy......RCV is 100% of cost to replace, minus deductible. Hope this helps!

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    The OG and I stood at our front door and watched marble sized hail come down. It left some very small dents on the hood of her SUV. Our current roof is about 10 years old, being replaced then due to a similar event.

Something interesting I noticed just yesterday - all the contractor yard signs are just on our street. When you enter our subdivision 2500 ft to the west there are no roofing contractor yard signs to be found, only when you turn onto our street. They were knocking on doors the very next day after the storm. How did they know where the hail came down and where it didn't? I suppose there is some precipitation map somewhere that they can get their hands on.
    We purchase hail report maps. There are several companies that offer these to contractors and they are very precise. Here is an example of one that I think may be a free service.....I have never used them. https://www.hailpoint.com/?gclid=Cj...51a6RxuvBmF1nhJ0-31xgIS3x10t6JNkaApT3EALw_wcB

If you notice. They tell us detailed information, such as how many homes were hit by different size hail, average home price, how many homes are rentals......etc. This is why you have to check out your contractor good.....don't feel bad about it. There are 100's of storm chasers who just chase work using these maps. You are better off hiring someone that if something fails later, you know how to contact them.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Wow, That is for sure a new roof, gutters and probably even more. That is big hail AVC is Actual Cash Value, which means insurance gives you what your roof was worth at time of damage. So if you have a $10K roof and they say it is 13 years old out of 25 year life, they deduct 50% and you get $5000 minus deductible :( RCV is Replacement Cost Value.......which means if your roof cost $10K 20 years ago, they have to give you the $20K it will take to replace it today. In layman terms, ACV is a prorated policy......RCV is 100% of cost to replace, minus deductible. Hope this helps!
    Thanks, I've got some researching to do. The roof is just under 8 years old. I got up there and looked and I found about 25 spots that were obvious, but I have never really looked for hail damage before. You could really see it on the metal cap for the flue.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    Thanks, I've got some researching to do. The roof is just under 8 years old. I got up there and looked and I found about 25 spots that were obvious, but I have never really looked for hail damage before. You could really see it on the metal cap for the flue.
    The best way to see if you have hail damage is any metal items. Vents, caps, skylight trims, metal counter flashing, metal on ends of house, door frames if wrapped in aluminum, etc. Look good at your gutters and feel the top edge of the gutter.....look at your downspouts on the side of home where hail came from. As far as shingles, it can sometimes be harder....but you are basically looking for dark spots where hail hit and either knocked gravel off/or drove the gravel into the black matting. I imagine this storm drove the shingles down, since it was pretty warm. When you see them black spots you can gently lift the shingle and you should be able to feel the indention on the bottom of the shingle.

I cant imagine that size hail not damaging your roof, unless you are well protected by trees. Dont forget, if they total your vehicle out, you can usually buy them back for $500-2000 and drive a hail damaged car for free! lol

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    One other thing......to qualify for a roof replacement, most insurance adjusters want between 8 and 10 "confirmed hits" in any 10' x 10' square. So they want 8-10 spots within any 100 square feet area. 1 hit on seamless gutters and they replace.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    One other thing......to qualify for a roof replacement, most insurance adjusters want between 8 and 10 "confirmed hits" in any 10' x 10' square. So they want 8-10 spots within any 100 square feet area. 1 hit on seamless gutters and they replace.
    We have gutter guards on the gutters and they got bent up pretty good. Didn't really look at the gutters themselves. The spots I found were a number of dents and where it hit on the edge of the dimensional part was obvious. The ridge cap was noticable as well.

Thanks for the info.

Top Bottom