• Would you like to know Morse Code?

• Total voters

HamYankee

Expert
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Jan 24, 2014
    Hendricks County
    Just wanted to post I'm studying for the Element 4 test with a cool iPhone app by Roy Watson, N1ZTL. I'm also using the AA9PW Ham Morse app to attempt to learn Morse Code. I just started the Morse Code app today and so far I think I know v, m, k, r, s, h, and u. Gonna take LOTS of practice. Priority is the Element 4 test though.
    H.Y.

The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI
    Code is a great addition to the HAM toolbox. Even though it is not required it is an essential skill for SHTF. The power requirements are much lower, and the language is universal. PSK31 is a great second choice for those who do not have the patience for code.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    I've been 100% CW for about 20 years now...it's the most fun you can have while still fully clothed. Go for it, you won't regret it.

vvet762

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    Code was a lot of fun. I learned back in 1976 and got my novice ticket. Finally upgraded to Advanced ticket a couple decades ago. I tried to get back in to Ham radio but it seems that the pride and dedication to something special is gone You don't even need code to become a ham. A couple of years ago I decided to get back on the air and found too much bad language and unprofessionalism that I sold the rig and gave up the idea of ham radio. I will always keep current on code by tapping out license plate code in my mind just incase of SHTF.

HamYankee

Expert
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Jan 24, 2014
    Hendricks County
    "tapping out license plate code" That's an awesome mental exercise!

Code was a lot of fun. I learned back in 1976 and got my novice ticket. Finally upgraded to Advanced ticket a couple decades ago. I tried to get back in to Ham radio but it seems that the pride and dedication to something special is gone You don't even need code to become a ham. A couple of years ago I decided to get back on the air and found too much bad language and unprofessionalism that I sold the rig and gave up the idea of ham radio. I will always keep current on code by tapping out license plate code in my mind just incase of SHTF.

walleyepw

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    Just starting to study for my tech. license. My father-in-law has his general license and is studying to go for his advanced license. HAM sounds very interesting to me and since I have some one already in the house that is into amateur radio, it will be nice to have the equipment already available.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Just starting to study for my tech. license. My father-in-law has his general license and is studying to go for his advanced license. HAM sounds very interesting to me and since I have some one already in the house that is into amateur radio, it will be nice to have the equipment already available.

Great to hear you are studying for your Technican Class amateur radio license.

Currently we only have three classes of license:

Technican - this is the entry level, covers mainly FCC regs, some basic electronic theory, and Ohm's law, 35 questions and you can miss 9.
    General Class - Middle Level, covers more radio theory, more modes, band allocations, some math, 35 questions and you miss 9.
    Amateur Extra - Top level for now, covers reading schematics, more math, more theory, antennas, propagation, band plans, modes...50 questions and you can miss 13.

The Advanced class has been gone for a long time now. Sadly, Morse Code is no longer a requirement for a amateur radio license.

It's a great hobby, you can pass the test if you do a little study. I have seen a boy at age 8 pass it.

You can find practice exams here: AA9PW FCC Exam Practice

Wolffman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2012
    I'm working on the Technician license too. I will hopefully pass the test in a week and a half.

squirrelhntr

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    n.w. indiana
    http://beaandmildred.com/z/morse-code-alphabet.jpg

Been a General for quite a while don't use code much mostly 80 meters LSB. but code was fun to learn. I didn't think I could learn a new language in my 40's but kept practicing and all of a sudden it came to me. used to practice while I drove coding the street signs along the way, and listening to a teaching cassette in the dash board tape player. .... ._ ..._ . .._. .._ _.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    The worst thing you can do while trying to learn CW, is have a chart like the one Squirrelhntr showed us. Morse Code is an auditory language, not a visual language. If you try to memorize that chart by the look of each letter you will never ever be able to copy CW any faster than a few words per minute. It is best to learn CW with your eyes shut, you have to learn the sound of the letters, and soon you'll start hearing not only the letters, but the words. I used to run CW QSOs every single day, a couple hours a day...my head copy was great and I hardly ever wrote anything down other than the time, date, freq and signal report...now I don't have the time to spend on the air as much but I still enjoy the hell out of a good old fashioned CW ragchew at 18 or 20 WPM and 25 to 30 WPM once I get warmed up again.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Koch CW trainer is great. I have started a lot of new to CW guys with that program. PistolBob, if you would like to make a CW sked PM me. I can keep up with ya :-) I am a Amateur Extra class from back in the day you had to get your Advance first. I still do a bit of CW. Homebrewing is my real passion though.

W9AMR

squirrelhntr

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    n.w. indiana
    The worst thing you can do while trying to learn CW, is have a chart like the one Squirrelhntr showed us. Morse Code is an auditory language, not a visual language. If you try to memorize that chart by the look of each letter you will never ever be able to copy CW any faster than a few words per minute. It is best to learn CW with your eyes shut, you have to learn the sound of the letters, and soon you'll start hearing not only the letters, but the words. I used to run CW QSOs every single day, a couple hours a day...my head copy was great and I hardly ever wrote anything down other than the time, date, freq and signal report...now I don't have the time to spend on the air as much but I still enjoy the hell out of a good old fashioned CW ragchew at 18 or 20 WPM and 25 to 30 WPM once I get warmed up again.
    yes that's true. I put the chart up so they could interpret the message I typed. and the chart is posted in the Ham radio manuals. dit dah dit dah

Last edited:
    Top Bottom