• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NapalmFTW

British dude
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    Lowell
    Maybe you're a member on here but a friend of mine who knows I'm a radio geek sent me a craiglist ad for someone who wants help passing the FCC exam.

I emailed the guy just out of S+Gs and he has some stuff he is willing to give me in exchange for help with the exam.

I was thinking he needed some "elmering" or some coaching but he basically intimated that he "doesn't have enough time" to take the exam and wants to do it NOW before the summer comes. He said: "If you hand me the licence ON A PLATE I'll GIVE you EITHER a 2500W gas generator or 3 hand held radios I WONT TELL ANYONE HOW I GOT IT EVER".

I said: "Listen dude, I'm not going to commit fraud for you on a federal exam. No way, no sir no thank you".

I deleted his reply. For all I know it's Riley Hollingsworth himself.

Like I said - if you're a member on here (since you're local) no offence bud ;) But I am not breaking no stinking federal laws for you or anybody.

radar44

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    noblesville
    Good call
    Anything worth doing is worth doing right ..:):
    This guy needs to learn what " a sense of accomplishment " feels like.

Sounds pretty scamish to me..:noway:

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    They checked picture ID when I took my test.

And a nine year old passed here a few months ago. If you are too stupid to pass then you are too stupid to use a radio.

NapalmFTW

British dude
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    Lowell
    They checked picture ID when I took my test.

And a nine year old passed here a few months ago. If you are too stupid to pass then you are too stupid to use a radio.

The technician licence really is a test of remembering things. The real learning comes when you pick up the mic/key or whatever.

I try and tell people you can't be a ham just by passing a test. You really do need to experience it and learn stuff as you're doing.

Kinda like driving - you don't learn to drive by passing the drive test. It starts once you get your licence.

The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI
    How could anyone hand out an amateur license on a plate? A passing score for any amateur class takes certification by 3 VE's. How could one individual possibly influence the outcome. When I took my test all 3 VE's scrutinized my photo ID, and my application document.

Last edited:

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    Craigslist ad still up? Send it to the feds, let them have some fun.

He wants it so bad by this summer he can download and memorize the question bank.

indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There
    Good God! When I took my tech exam, I bought the book from Radio Shack on a Friday between classes and took the test 2 days later on Sunday.

It's not that difficult!

mr.steve

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    Plymouth
    the fellow can always use FRS or CB. That's what they are there for. Easy to use, no test, no stress, no brain. I took my Commercial FCC exam back in 1985, back then they still had questions on vacuum tube circuits. Part 97 is the same for anybody wishing to use radio technology. and that's my :twocents:

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Hollingsworth has been retired from the FCC for years now. He just signed on as a editor for CQ magazine. I've eaten dinner with him a time or two at Dayton, he's a pretty good dude.

The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI
    the fellow can always use FRS or CB. That's what they are there for. Easy to use, no test, no stress, no brain. I took my Commercial FCC exam back in 1985, back then they still had questions on vacuum tube circuits. Part 97 is the same for anybody wishing to use radio technology. and that's my :twocents:

Vacuum tube circuits are still included in the general and extra class amateur exams. There are still a lot of older tube type radios and amps in use. There are still companies producing tube type amps. There is nothing like a good tube amp.

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    It still astonishes me of the lengths that people will go for such little things.

Top Bottom