• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Thatguythere

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Monrovia,In
    I was wondering if there was a HAM class that teaches more than just the elements. I have attended a class that just reiterated the elements. I didn't feel like I was learning how to use the radio and understand it's function. Any suggestions?

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    The Tech class that most radio clubs offer are meant to teach you the exam. This is to help you get licensed and then it's pretty much up to you the start the learning process about radio and electronics. My suggestion would be to join your local Amateur Radio Club and take an active part in their activities. You are close to a couple of good clubs. Hendricks County Amateur Radio Society in Danville and Midstate Amateur Radio Club in Franklin.

The ARRL also has several good books for the new amateur.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    As much as I know about radio, I can't tell ya much about the tests. If it's like anything else, it's just teaching the test. That'll get you the ticket. If you want to really know the subject, you're on your own. I could help with that, though. That stuff I know.

The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI
    There are several good online classes. They do cost a few bucks, but they do teach the actual theory that hoes into the questions. Most of the tech class requirement is based on Ohms law, and basic electricity anyway. Once you go beyond tech, there is actually some real electronic theory required.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    ARFCOM has a very good HAM section. I don't care for the rest of the forum but there is an abundance of radio information there. There is little to no attitude there, unlike in the shooting portion. Very knowledgeable and helpful members. Anything by BigDaddy and ar-jedi is worth a read. They also have some good sections for beginners.

Ham Radios - AR15.COM

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Make sure your Technician Study Guides reflect the new question pool. It changed on July 1st, 2014. Didn't change much though, and Ohm's law will always be Ohm's law. Good luck!

Thatguythere

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Monrovia,In
    Thank you for all the feedback. I'm gonna see if I can go to a meeting at the Hendricks county club. My goal is to pass the technician exam by the end of the year.

Top Bottom