Hammer forge hawk head!,or FORGET GET ABOUT IT??

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • whocares

Shooter
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Nov 9, 2010
    Clarksville, IN.
    HOLY CRAP! I DID IT!

Well, I annealed it at least once now, just now!

The fans thing was a bad idea, I claim ignorance on this from the word go. The forced air from bottom proved a game changer and I wouldnt have thought of it on my own.

I constructed my forge, which looks more like a meth lab youd see on the news and I proceeded to revoke the magnetic status of my hatchet soon to be tomahawk head, YEAH BOYY!

2013-01-08101116.jpg

And first time no sticky

2013-01-08101140-1.jpg

PapaScout

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jun 30, 2008
    Live in Wilbur, Work in Indy
    Yes. Steel is a crystalline structure and this structure changes with temperature. Certain structures are harder (based on carbon content) than others. You're trying to soften this hammer head so it's easier to beat into the shape you want.

I would heat past where you had it during the annealing process to a glowing orange, transfer to anvil, shape, back to the fire to glowing orange and repeat.

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    Very creative setup on that forge!

"And first time no sticky"

I remember the first time I had a piece of steel do that. It was pretty cool.

Last edited:

billyboyr6

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    greenfield
    Forging is a dying trade and I personally love doing it. And I really like to see new people getting into it. Be extra careful not to distort the handle hole though. It will be a pain to fix later.

DaKruiser

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    Forging is a dying trade and I personally love doing it. And I really like to see new people getting into it. Be extra careful not to distort the handle hole though. It will be a pain to fix later.

I would intentionally distort it, make it a true tomahawk with a free handle. A drift is the easiest way but it can be done on a anvil horn or similar.

Cool project you have going there whocares, I have a couple ball peen hammers I've been wanting to forge into hawks.

Top Bottom