• ...and so much more!
  • hot rod al

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Howdy INGOers

I was wanting to swap out the horrendous looking hammer on my PT1911 among other things (sights and trigger). Here is my question: would it be sufficient to just replace the hammer and have it fitted to the factory sear or should I have the sear and disconnector replaced as well and have them all fitted at the same time?

:dunno:

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    If it is made to 1911 pattern specs, the geometry on the new hammer should be compatable with the geometry on the sear. If you are going that far, whay not spend a little more and get the new hammer and sear optimized for a better trigger, A tuned 1911 trigger is a thing of joy. I have never replced a disconnector for a trigger job or trigger parts swap. Good Luck

Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    I put a Wilson in mine and it was great,no fitting required.I did have to get a new strut and hammer pin,couldn't get the pin out of the Taurus hammer.Crisp 4.5lb. trigger pull.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    You don't have to replace the sear but it would be a good idea since the factory one is MIM. If you buy a quality hammer that is all steel or stainless it will be a lot harder metal than the sear. Would be better if they were matched. From what I read you can't polish MIM much, which plays a big part in a smooth no creep trigger.
    I vote trigger and sear at minimum

Disconnector...dont know I have bought them just because but have also ran stock ones a long time. If you plan to polish on it much it should be replaced with a good one first :twocents:

hot rod al

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    Indianapolis
    You don't have to replace the sear but it would be a good idea since the factory one is MIM. If you buy a quality hammer that is all steel or stainless it will be a lot harder metal than the sear. Would be better if they were matched. From what I read you can't polish MIM much, which plays a big part in a smooth no creep trigger.
    I vote trigger and sear at minimum

Disconnector...dont know I have bought them just because but have also ran stock ones a long time. If you plan to polish on it much it should be replaced with a good one first :twocents:

Ok cool. Since the factory parts are MIM I'll look into a matched set. As awesome as a full auto 1911 sounds :rockwoot:, I think I'll have a competent gunsmith do the work since I wouldnt know what the hell I would be doing anyways and really dont feel like screwing anything up.

Thanks fellas!

Top Bottom