Hammer thrower Gwen Berry turns away from flag while anthem plays at Olympic trials

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    ABL here brings up a good point, or a couple good points.
    She said she was blindsided.
    Then how did she already have a tee-shirt.

Also, maybe she's trying to set herself up to make money after the games.
    After all, what is a hammer thrower going to do for a living?

Become an INGO mod and live La Dolce Vita

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    I think the USOC needs to make these athletes sign a waiver stating that they will not make any political statement and stand/respect the flag and Anthem or they loose all medals and financial befits extended to them by the USOC and must reimburse them for all travel/medical/training that they got from the USOC.

That would be a game changer.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    She got what she wanted. She wanted the spotlight to shine on her. She even said something in a twitter post in response that said "You all are obsessed with me" That's what she wants. She wants people to talk about her.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    She got what she wanted. She wanted the spotlight to shine on her. She even said something in a twitter post in response that said "You all are obsessed with me" That's what she wants. She wants people to talk about her.
    Obsessed might be a push.
    wanting to see her fall off the podium is closer to truth.

grillak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2021
    Indianapolis

it's confirmed...slomo joe, rumpshaker, & crew support this!

remember the raised fist at the awards ceremony in the '68 olympics? they did not disrespect their country by denying the flag or not wanting to hear the national anthem. their statement was heard.

today's minstrels complain about this country yet they enjoy everything this country has to offer.

i agree with what others have said. if you hate this country so much, give back the money, endorsements, and free s**t. do not partake of anything that would benefit you.

i'm tired of hearing the whine of rich atheletes about how oppressed they are (do you hear me lebron?)

the truly oppressed in this country don't have the time or energy to protest. we're to busy working to pay our own way.

A5guy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    Steuben County
    This isn't trending well for our great nation. What's a color guard ceremony going to look like in a few years? A bunch of punks sitting around in the dirt?

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 30, 2012
    Elkhart, IN
    As much as I disagree with what she did. My desire to support the 1st amend must be my first priority. I believe freedom of speech in this country extends to things that can be offensive to me at times. If the gold metal winner knelt to pray, that would have put several people on their ears also. I would of course support her in that. I do not support Gwen, or her stupid logic for what she did. I do support American athletes in their right to use free speech as they believe is best for them. We can't allow ourselves to get pulled into the only what I believe is ok. All speech is protected.

grillak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2021
    Indianapolis
    As much as I disagree with what she did. My desire to support the 1st amend must be my first priority. I believe freedom of speech in this country extends to things that can be offensive to me at times. If the gold metal winner knelt to pray, that would have put several people on their ears also. I would of course support her in that. I do not support Gwen, or her stupid logic for what she did. I do support American athletes in their right to use free speech as they believe is best for them. We can't allow ourselves to get pulled into the only what I believe is ok. All speech is protected.
    i agree with you on the 1st amendment viewpoint. but...she is, like so many others in priviledged positions, are hypocritical. if she really wanted to prove her point, she should not accept all the "freebies" that are afforded to her by the same country she felt "ambushed" her.

in an earlier post in this threaded, i pointed to the '68 olympic medals presentation. the atheletes made a statement about how they felt about america's treatment of blacks. they were draped in the american flag as they did it.

i think that showed that while they did not agree with the lack of rights afforded to blacks, they still showed their respect for the country that allowed them to represent it.

a great many celebs, atheletes, and actors get on a pedestal to protest the very things that made then famous. until it hurts their income.

i personally feel she has a right to say what she wants due to the 1st amendment, but if she wants any credibilty, she should give up the status & fame that came from the support of this country

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    i agree with you on the 1st amendment viewpoint. but...she is, like so many others in priviledged positions, are hypocritical. if she really wanted to prove her point, she should not accept all the "freebies" that are afforded to her by the same country she felt "ambushed" her.

in an earlier post in this threaded, i pointed to the '68 olympic medals presentation. the atheletes made a statement about how they felt about america's treatment of blacks. they were draped in the american flag as they did it.

i think that showed that while they did not agree with the lack of rights afforded to blacks, they still showed their respect for the country that allowed them to represent it.

a great many celebs, atheletes, and actors get on a pedestal to protest the very things that made then famous. until it hurts their income.

i personally feel she has a right to say what she wants due to the 1st amendment, but if she wants any credibilty, she should give up the status & fame that came from the support of this country
    Yep. If she just wanted to compete, I'm sure she could find a country that is more favorable in her eyes, and if she is good enough (probably is) could represent that country. I recall that has happened in the past. (e.g. a not quite good enough Russian competing for say, Tunisia who had NOBODY any good)

Those last few words are key: You are a REPRESENTATIVE of your country. If its so damn bad in your eyes, dont represent it. It is no different than a Best Buy worker bitching about how awful Best Buy is as a company while in uniform.

Top Bottom