• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nemo97

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 29, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    my money. Yesterday, after work I wanted to go to Cabela's. While I would have loved to stay in Indiana to pay taxes locally, I opted to head to Cabela's in Dundee, Michigan instead. Why? Simple really, I did not want to deal with Hammond and their anti-gun stance while utilizing my LTCH. Sadly, the most direct route takes me through Ohio, so they, too, lost out on potential revenue for not recognizing my LTCH as being "good enough" for them. Yup, I drove out of state and slightly out of the way to vote with my wallet based upon my support for my right to keep and bear arms. Between dinner at Rosalie's (http://www.michigan.org/Property/Detail.aspx?p=G11938), the jerky store stop (kangaroo jerky!!!!:rockwoot:), fuel and Cabela's I paid taxes on roughly $675 of purchases. So, to Hammond & places like Hammond, to quote an old diner lady from an old sitcom, "You can kiss my grits!"

Illinois and Minnesota are next on my list to vote with my wallet during the summer when I take the family on a camping trip to Montana. Indiana to LP Michigan to UP Michigan to Wisconsin to Iowa to the Dakotas to Montana. Sure would be nice to be able to drive in a fairly straight line, but, I will not budge on this one. :draw:

Last edited:

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    Please write the mayor and the local paper and let them know...

and you can drive to Ludington and take the ferry across the lake to Wi.

Bondhead88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2010
    Currently In Toronto
    Please explain.
    I agree with him. II stay out of that Cabela's. I keep getting sick and tired of Hammond Cabela laws that are none existent.

The question where do you live is irrelevant when showing a gun in Indiana. The lie that they give saying they have to see a FOID card from an Illinois resident before showing a gun is false and detrimental to our cause.

Trying to add regulation from a private company on the second amendment just gives more ammunition to those that oppose our 2A right for reasons for adding more laws to it.

Just provide customer service and show the gun. There is no regulation or requirement in Indiana to see a FOID.

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    I'm confused, the city of Hammond has no bearing on firearms laws that aren't on the state books, and if Cabela's is the issue then going to another Cabela's doesn't vote a dime of the companies revenue, just where the taxes go and maybe if it came down to one purchase who wins store of the year award internally?

And I don't see how any of that plays into "Carry issues and self defense"

:dunno:

JR50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Significantly North of Rt. 30
    Let's see....people complain if Cabelas is crowded.
    People complain if Cabelas makes an attempt to serve everyone fairly -- although I've never seen it in action, other Ingoers have talked about the rope to form a line.
    If YOU were a retailer with a very busy store, would you rather spend time with a person who is a potential buyer or some Illinois asshat without a FOID where there is zero chance of making a sale? ...and taking up my valuable Hoosier time!
    No, I don't work for Cabelas, nor do I own stock in the company. I haven't even made all of my major purchases there. The silly griping is tiresome, however.
    Flame on! :popcorn:

marcum man

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 20, 2012
    Bourbon
    So I'm an Indiana resident with an ltch, I was planning on making the trec to Cabelas. As I understand it I can't carry my pistol in Hammond??? If I can't carry there I'm heading to Dundee.

Fedempl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2012
    McCordsville
    I don't understand what the OP is saying. Someone please explain.

That makes two of us. :scratch:

So he went to Michigan to do his shopping. There are times I go to Kentucky to do mine. What does all of this have to do with Carry Issues and Self Defense..

Quit complaining and move on...:crying:

Fedempl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2012
    McCordsville
    So I'm an Indiana resident with an ltch, I was planning on making the trec to Cabelas. As I understand it I can't carry my pistol in Hammond??? If I can't carry there I'm heading to Dundee.

So the store says no carrying here, that is their right. But, regardles of where the store is at, Hammond itslef does not have the authority to say you cannot carry inside city limits.

Please read, IC 35-47-11.1-2

Sec. 2. Except as provided in section 4 of this chapter, a political subdivision may not regulate:
    (1) firearms, ammunition, and firearm accessories;
    (2) the ownership, possession, carrying, transportation, registration, transfer, and storage of firearms, ammunition, and firearm accessories; and
    (3) commerce in and taxation of firearms, firearm ammunition, and firearm accessories...

I have been to Hammond before and OC'd , while I got some looks from the local LEO's not once did they approach me.

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    images

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    As far as I understand it, Hammond still has handgun laws on the book even though they are not enforceable. From what I gather here, instead of patronizing an establishment that lies within the limits of a town that does not pull laws when they are null and void, he "played it safe" by going somewhere that was out of the way but still respected his rights.

Somemedic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nemo...

I think there are several of us who have openly carried into Cabellas of Hammond on several occasions without issue (without going through all the threads). Why did you decide to shop at a different store? So far we've heard some speculation from other members but I am still curious. Could it be they have poor customer service? Can you eleborate?

Fedempl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2012
    McCordsville
    As far as I understand it, Hammond still has handgun laws on the book even though they are not enforceable. From what I gather here, instead of patronizing an establishment that lies within the limits of a town that does not pull laws when they are null and void, he "played it safe" by going somewhere that was out of the way but still respected his rights.

That's the point you do not have to leave Hammond to "play it safe" they cannot enfore the laws anyway.

Hammond is not the only place that does not pull old laws off the books, all the States and the Federal Government does it too. :twocents:

Top Bottom