• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Somemedic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Spoke briefly with the LakeCoSheriff officer Kristoff (sp) while exiting the Walmart in Hammond today. I felt the officer was well spoken, not pushy, and was aware of current carry laws. He knew I had rights but asked had I considered other options as far as CCing.

I want to stress that portion. He asked if I had a LTC and then asked had I considered other option as far as my method of carrying.

He seemed mainly concerned about weapon retention (my G19 is carried in a sportster style holster, IIRC. Maybe a Fobus.)

He asked questions and didn't demand anything. He presented some other trains of thought about OCing vs CCing (already covered by us here on several occasions) and allowed me to rebut without the feeling of contempt-of-cop. Turns out we both felt the same way on several subjects, just not this one.

He did mention he had seen several folks carrying at this store and even one man who, while carrying a child, had a pistol that was simply tucked in his waistband. We both agreed that was not the brightest move.

I asked him to check out this sight and look around here since it was a wealth of info and that his insights would surely be welcomed. He's the kind of guy, were you approached by LEO, that you would want to interact with... or at least the guy the police should have speaking for them and presenting their side on some issues we've covered here. A decent guy indeed.

To him a +1.

(Now I will grab my popcorn and see where this goes)

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I'm just gonna have some popcorn because I don't really see an issue here. :popcorn:

You invited us in for popcorn right? :popcorn:

AndersonIN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Anderson, IN
    Any idea why he felt the need to stop you for questioning? Questioning may not be a "polite" way to put it but what was the need to even have the conversion to begin with?

Just to make those still voting for Hope and Change happy.......NOT LEO BASHING just asked a question seeing how he brought the subject up!

TheReaper

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2012
    Southeastern IN
    ^^^^If the officer observes someone open carrying, he has every right to start a conversation as simple as, "Sir, could you show me your LTCH?" Then, "Thanks, have a good day!" Then maybe he just wanted to talk and be friendly.....Oh no wait, there are no polite and friendly officers.

Last edited:

AndersonIN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Anderson, IN
    ^^^^If the officer observes someone open carrying, he has every right to start a conversation as simple as, "Sir, could you show me your LTCH?" Then, "Thanks, have a good day!" Then maybe he just wanted to talk and be friendly.....Oh no wait, there are no polite and friendly officers.

Well didn't we wake up from our nappy with a knot in our undies! :xmad: :laugh:

TheReaper

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2012
    Southeastern IN
    Well didn't we wake up from our nappy with a knot in our undies! :xmad: :laugh:

No sir, it just gathered from the OP's post that the officer politely asked him about the OC, the OP'er informed of his LTCH and then they chatted. I guess I don't see what the big deal is about the officer speaking with him?

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN

If an officer sees someone driving, does he have a right to stop and ask to see their drivers license? With no other reason for the stop?

TheReaper

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2012
    Southeastern IN
    If an officer sees someone driving, does he have a right to stop and ask to see their drivers license? With no other reason for the stop?

Oh my word, this has been beaten to death on this site. Indiana isn't a state that allows open carry without at LTCH. So, an individual MUST have a LTCH to carry a concealed or OPEN handgun in a public place. So, the officer has every right to ask that individual for his LTCH and if the person has said item, they're done.

mdeshon

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2010
    Out yander
    Oh my word, this has been beaten to death on this site. Indiana isn't a state that allows open carry without at LTCH. So, an individual MUST have a LTCH to carry a concealed or OPEN handgun in a public place. So, the officer has every right to ask that individual for his LTCH and if the person has said item, they're done.

:+1:

AndersonIN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Anderson, IN

"So, the officer has every right to ask that individual for his LTCH and if the person has said item, they're done."

Odd, it seemed to me to be more than that in the original post! Like opinions, and suggestions....etc. Didn't seem to be "they're done" at all. Maybe ONE of us should reread the OP?

TheReaper

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2012
    Southeastern IN
    "So, the officer has every right to ask that individual for his LTCH and if the person has said item, they're done."

Odd, it seemed to me to be more than that in the original post! Like opinions, and suggestions....etc. Didn't seem to be "they're done" at all. Maybe ONE of us should reread the OP?

From the OP's tone, sounds like it was a mutual conversation. He could have said, "Thanks, we're done" and walked away, but he continued to have a friendly conversation.

DocGlock86

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Plainfield
    Oh my word, this has been beaten to death on this site. Indiana isn't a state that allows driving without a driver's license. So, an individual MUST have a driver's license to drive a car. So, the officer has every right to pull that individual over and check his driver's license and if the person has said item, they're done.

Right??? :dunno:

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010

He can ask whatever he wants. That doesn't mean I have to reply.

AndersonIN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Anderson, IN
    From the OP's tone, sounds like it was a mutual conversation. He could have said, "Thanks, we're done" and walked away, but he continued to have a friendly conversation.

Isn't that nice! :D

I doubt that the OP would have walked up to the LEO to start a conversation at all. But hey I could be wrong!

Seems to me he was TRYING TO PUSH HIS OPINION FOR CC! But hey you're the one with all the expert training not me!

Classic Liberal

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    This officer didn't just want to chat, nor just check to see if you were legally carrying. He was making attempts to get you to comply with how he would like for you to carry. While he may have been polite and enjoyable to speak with, his words and thoughts on the matter have no place in the function of his duties.
    Let's see...Don't you think that someone that has made the choice to, not only carry a firearm, but to also openly carry it have already considered other carry methods? As an OCer, I know I have already considered other methods, as it's not like OCing is my only method I carry. Usually, I am CCing as well.

TheReaper

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2012
    Southeastern IN
    Isn't that nice! :D

I doubt that the OP would have walked up to the LEO to start a conversation at all. But hey I could be wrong!

Seems to me he was TRYING TO PUSH HIS OPINION FOR CC! But hey your the one with all the expert training not me!

Oh, I agree that he was trying to push his opinion on CC, no doubt, the OP'er says that. But it sounds like the original poster wanted to continue the conversation. Nobody says that the OP'er had to take the advice, sounds like he respectfully disagreed with the officer.

Top Bottom