• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • marcp

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2013
    Indiana
    How many and where do you carry your extra hand gun mag's? I'm not comfortable with just slipping it into my pocket.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    I carry either my Glock-27 or Glock-23, with one matching mag spare off side. Recently I just said to heck with it, loaded up and x-tra G-22 14 rd mag and said this will cover all reloads, no matter what I am carrying. However, that large, full of 2-4 more rounds of .40 goodness, is like as heavy as the gun on the other side. Oh well, will have to get used to it.

deputydawg39

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2010
    Jefferson co
    I like mine on the off side in same place all the time. My g-27 is with me all if the time I also carry a 23 some times and that would be the mag on my side

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    I carry an XDM 3.8 Compact in 9mm. The compact mag has 13 rounds in it. I carry a spare 19 round mag that's meant for a full size XDM with the grip sleeve over it. My spare is in a mag holster. I have never entertained the idea of just dropping a mag in my pants pocket.

If I am running an errand and driving around, the glove box has another 19 round mag,

Snizz1911

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2013
    In jeans either on my belt/pouch or offside back pocket. If cargo pants in the cargo pocket out of comfort.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    if i am oc, my holster has a slot for an extra mag......cc i carry in pouch on my belt

Just curious, but have you considered how expediently you can access a magazine kept in the same holster the gun is kept in?

Especially if you carry on your strong side?

I mean, if your gun is in your strong hand, and you absolutely positively need a speed reload (for whatever reason) - what hand will you use to grab the magazine and finish the reload? If you use your strong hand - what will you do with the gun? Will you transfer the gun to your weak hand, then use your strong hand to grab the mag, ram it home, then re-transfer the gun back to your strong hand? Or are you versed enough to flip flop your grip with no discernible firing/sight alignment issues? Can you reach the mag easily and quickly enough with your weak hand to accomplish a reload? (Either around front or around back?)

Have you ever practiced speed reloads with dummy ammo with your current set up? I'm going to go out on limb and presume that you have not. (For if you've attempted, you'd almost assuredly come to the conclusion that a reload carried strong side in the same holster as the firearm is very very impractical)

If one carries a reload, it needs to be easily accessible and easily workable. TIME is of the essence (which is also why it's foolish to carry a semi-auto pistol with an empty chamber)

I suggest that you invest in a quality holster (not one with a mag pouch "built in" first, a quality gun belt, and a quality mag pouch that'll allow you to carry your reload on your weak side.

-J-

John317

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I don't carry an extra mag when I CC. I should probably start...

I don't carry an extra mag either... i figure if I ever have to use it I'll only need a couple rounds anyways and if I go through 18 rounds I better have a good exit strategy...

If I'd ever be in a situation where I'd need more rounds I'd probably just lay low anyways than draw the attention by firing...

ashby koss

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Connersville
    I don't carry an extra mag either... i figure if I ever have to use it I'll only need a couple rounds anyways and if I go through 18 rounds I better have a good exit strategy...

If I'd ever be in a situation where I'd need more rounds I'd probably just lay low anyways than draw the attention by firing...[/QUOTE

FTE,FTF, mag failures, paperweight, many more uses than just the extra ammo. Mainly as backup incase you need to drop and adapt. One reason I carry a leatherman, more tools in tight circumstances.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Needing more ammo is just ONE reason to carry a spare magazine.

Chances of ever needing a fire a shot to defend yourself/someone else are quite small. Chances of needing to expend a fully stoked double-stack mag are even less.

The chances of a magazine failure of some kind ARE present, however.

What if you take a tumble and the mag falls out of your gun...and you can't retrieve it? What if you hit the edge of a table "just right" and the baseplate breaks and you suddenly spring a leak of ammo out of your mag? What if the follower breaks after the first shot and jams up the works?

Carrying a firearm for protection is all about preparing for the worst and hoping for the best. It's small insurance to carry a reload - in the event of the worst.

-J-

WhyLighter338

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    i carry 2 spare 15 rounders for my Glock 22 in a mag pouch support side and 2 speed loaders for my snubbie in front of my Glock holster.

All day, every day

marcp

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2013
    Indiana
    Needing more ammo is just ONE reason to carry a spare magazine.

Chances of ever needing a fire a shot to defend yourself/someone else are quite small. Chances of needing to expend a fully stoked double-stack mag are even less.

The chances of a magazine failure of some kind ARE present, however.

What if you take a tumble and the mag falls out of your gun...and you can't retrieve it? What if you hit the edge of a table "just right" and the baseplate breaks and you suddenly spring a leak of ammo out of your mag? What if the follower breaks after the first shot and jams up the works?

Carrying a firearm for protection is all about preparing for the worst and hoping for the best. It's small insurance to carry a reload - in the event of the worst.

-J-

Than you Indy_Guy_77 You bring up just a few good reason on why we may need an extra mag. mine is a stock mag with only 7 round's in the mag and one in the chamber. The list is so endless as to why the need for extra's is necessary.

The world is full of zombie's,some not so dead yet..

rbMPSH12

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2012
    I either carry one or two spare 8 round mags for my M&P Shield, depending on where I'm going. But always at least one. Usually OWB in a Henry Holsters kydex double mag carrier at 8 o'clock. Sometimes if I'm carrying one I'll do AIWB in a Henry Holsters AIWB kydex mag pouch

Top Bottom