• ...and so much more!
  • JTinIN

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2010
    Home Range Richmond
    Looking at hand gun suppressor systems (i.e. the primary host hand gun(s) and suppressor makes a system) and have three general questions that I would like everyone's inputs on.

1: Minimum Number of Handgun Suppressor Calibers: 2 or 3
    ?

1. Figure every one needs a 22LR suppressor.
    2. Second would be either a 9mm or a 45 ACP
    3. Third is the inverse of the second choice (i.e. 45 if you got a 9mm and 9mm if you got a 45 and was not content with 9mm though the 45 can).
    4. At the fourth suppressor, define for this discussion you have gone pass the basics and are now into the more advanced collection / shooter for suppressors ;-).

2: Recommendations on Suppressor and Host Gun Combinations
    :

1. Since one can use the 22LR suppressor on rifles and handguns, lot to be said for a separate can vs an integral suppressed pistol ... can save that for number three, four, fiver etc. ;-)
      • I have a Bowers Paradigm which Tom sent me years ago when they first came out. I use it on rifles, a couple P22s and still looking/trying a target host gun (Rugger is pain to get a threaded target model and missed the Browning) and might end up getting a Marvel upper for 1911 (back ordered over a half year).
    2. For 9mm host guns have a M92 that is a logical choice, in particular if just going with the 45 can.
    3. For 45 ACP looking at a FNX 45 and/or a threaded barrel for the SIG P220. Other options and brands of suppressor which you have personal experience.
    4. An integral 22LR host could be of interest, however, I would must likely go with a 300 Black Out in a Contender or bolt gun to use with a rifle / sub-gun suppressor.
      • FYI Have the standard issues 22LR, 5.56 and 9mm rifle/sub-gun suppressors and once I decide on 30 cal vs 338 LM will ad one for the rifle (the 9mm works for 300 Black Out subsonic).

3a: Uses of Suppressed Hand guns - Hobby or Civilian

1. Find visiting with friends is easier will everyone is suppressed
    2. Can shoot later at night and not bother neighbors, at some friends ranges
    3. Just plan color and another toy
    4. Some states might allow limited hunting of certain critters ... more a rifle use for many of us.
    5. Guess could include indoor self defense during normal times, but too many issues to possible be concerned.
    6. Lastly great for shooting zombies with out drawing attention to your self as easily ... or and other end of the world reasons ;-)

3b: Uses of Suppressed Hand guns - Historical Military/Police

• Raids & scouting parties to limit drawing attention, however, better handled with a suppressed sub gun in many cases, unless one hands are not free (i.e. entry team, repelling etc.)
    • Restricted spacers (i.e. tunnel rats)
    • Prevent igniting of flammable vapor (i.e. meth lab).

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I teach about a dozen kids who want to learn to shoot (in groups of 3) ranging from 5-16 years of ago. Everyone shoots rimfires suppressed and the thing that has me sold is (espicially with pistols) if they have a failure, or anything like that I can say "FREEZE" and they know not to move a musle and ill come take the gun out of there hand. They hear me fine because ear pro is not required. With ear pro they might not hear what what I say as easily and turn to hear me better.

Plus its funny when my 9 year old niece goes to school and the teacher asks what she did on the weekend and she says "I went out shooting suppressed pistols and rifles":D

Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana
    I love suppressors, understand and agree with all the positives you get from using them. On the other hand we can say all day long to be carefull about being around weapons and teach gun safety to our youth til our eyes bleed. But one thing that speaks for itself to a child learning about guns is the loud bang and recoil that tells them...HEY, I'LL BITE IF YOUR NOT CAREFULL!. And to respect all guns and all things that appear to be a gun knowing from exerience that, Hey, this might be a real gun that could potentially hurt myself or others If I dont follow the rules I was taught in gun safety.

Now Im not suggesting that I prefer to teach with fear 'cause there are definite benefits to teaching marksmanship using a suppressor. Using a suppressor can be a great introduction of the firearm to the unititiated but full spectrum must eventually be administered.

Top Bottom