• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    If you are on a lake in IN why would other laws apply?

According to the USACE, firearms are prohibitted on their property. The assumption is that the entire reservior, such as Monroe or Hardin, are USACE property. They were taking public comment to consider changing this, but I've not heard recently where they are in that process.

Many of us would like to know if it is legal to carry with a valid Indiana permit on USACE reserviors. I know that at least at Monroe, USACE even has their own patrol boat. Funny thing, though. On the USACE property by the dam at Cecil M. Hardin, they allow hunting with firearms.

I'd just like to know if it is legal. If illegal, I'd like to know if anyone has been prosecuted for carrying with a permit on a boat on a USACE reservior.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    According to the USACE, firearms are prohibitted on their property. The assumption is that the entire reservior, such as Monroe or Hardin, are USACE property. They were taking public comment to consider changing this, but I've not heard recently where they are in that process.

Many of us would like to know if it is legal to carry with a valid Indiana permit on USACE reserviors. I know that at least at Monroe, USACE even has their own patrol boat. Funny thing, though. On the USACE property by the dam at Cecil M. Hardin, they allow hunting with firearms.

I'd just like to know if it is legal. If illegal, I'd like to know if anyone has been prosecuted for carrying with a permit on a boat on a USACE reservior.

It is not legal at Lake Monroe. I wasn't prosecuted but I was verbally warned. I was actually on property that was part of Deam Wilderness (idle zone side), but they said the entire property is still considered ACOE property. The CO was cool about it though. I just put the gun in my tent.

They allow hunting at Monroe too, during hunting season, but you have to check in, and handguns are still a no-go I think.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    It is not legal at Lake Monroe. I wasn't prosecuted but I was verbally warned. I was actually on property that was part of Deam Wilderness (idle zone side), but they said the entire property is still considered ACOE property. The CO was cool about it though. I just put the gun in my tent.

They allow hunting at Monroe too, during hunting season, but you have to check in, and handguns are still a no-go I think.

So DNR enforced this? I'd have thought only the USACE offiers would enforce it.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008

Hmm, the entire Deam property? I thought carry in Deam was fine. Maybe it’s a question of how far from the water the ACOE prop extends. Deam is managed by the Hoosier National Forest/US Forest Service folks not ACOE as far as I know. Just when You think you have things figured out, you get a curve ball. Would be nice to get some clarification.

Big Hank

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    So much debate going here and it's very direct...

Deam is NO. It doesn't matter where in Deam. Tower Ridge Road on the south edge of Deam is the line for Deam and Hoosier National Forest. HNF is fine.

Monroe is Army Corps, just like 15 others have said before. Monroe is a NO. Army Corps also claims a distance from the water all the way around, so this includes fishing and not just being "ON" the water.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Wasn't ACOE sued and lost so are thinking about changing their rules? I thought since they lost, they had to change the rules.

If I were to have a boat on the lake with some kind of firearm, I would repel any unwanted boarders! Arrr maytees, man the cannons! That's what the port & starboard cannons are for afterall!

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Wasn't ACOE sued and lost so are thinking about changing their rules? I thought since they lost, they had to change the rules.

COE was sued, lost at trial court, and was facing an appeals court hearing when they settled with the plaintiffs. The COE said they would reconsider their rules, and the plaintiffs got to carry their handguns wherever they wanted on COE land up in Idaho and a couple other states. The case was dismissed. It did not change anything for the rest of us, not even if we went to Idaho.

Then nothing happened for a long time, but finally this past April COE proposed some new rules, opened a comment period from April to June, and that period is now closed. Next step is to, I hope, implement the rules but I don't know what bureaucratic hoops are involved in that. See my post [STRIKE]two [/STRIKE] six posts back for a link to the thread about this on INGO.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    COE was sued, lost at trial court, and was facing an appeals court hearing when they settled with the plaintiffs. The COE said they would reconsider their rules, and the plaintiffs got to carry their handguns wherever they wanted on COE land up in Idaho and a couple other states. The case was dismissed. It did not change anything for the rest of us, not even if we went to Idaho.

Then nothing happened for a long time, but finally this past April COE proposed some new rules, opened a comment period from April to June, and that period is now closed. Next step is to, I hope, implement the rules but I don't know what bureaucratic hoops are involved in that. See my post [STRIKE]two [/STRIKE] six posts back for a link to the thread about this on INGO.

Ok, so then they'd potentially be vulnerable to another suit? i'd imagine it would be hard to successfully prosecute someone who carried under similar circumstances as the folks in Idaho.

Has anyone in indiana been successfully prosecuted for carrying on USACE property? Has anyone even been charged, or has it all been verbal warnings like described earlier?

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    So much debate going here and it's very direct...

Deam is NO. It doesn't matter where in Deam. Tower Ridge Road on the south edge of Deam is the line for Deam and Hoosier National Forest. HNF is fine. . . .

Couldn't resist following-up on this so I emailed the HNF directly, from the website on the Deam Wilderness map [1] (r9_hoosier_website@fs.fed.us).

Question: Can you clarify for me whether it is lawful to carry a handgun concealed under an valid Indiana License to Carry on Deam Wilderness property for the purpose of personal defense? I've seen conflicting advice online, so clarification would be very helpful. Thank you.

Received a prompt answer.

Answer: "If you can legally carry in Indiana then you can legally carry on the Hoosier National Forest. The only restriction you might find in the Charles C. Deam Wilderness is target practice is not allowed.

[FONT=&amp]<clipped>
    Visitor Information Assistant[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]Forest Service [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]Hoosier National Forest[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]<clipped>[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]811 Constitution Avenue
    Bedford, IN 47421
    www.fs.fed.us
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp] [/FONT][FONT=&amp] [/FONT][FONT=&amp] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]Caring for the land and serving people"[/FONT]

[1] - https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fsbdev3_017286.pdf

ashby koss

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Connersville
    I have heard that I can not open carry my hand gun on a boat in Indiana, is this true? I open carry 99 percent of the time and I would not feel comfortable on some lakes not having it on my side.

Thanks in advance

Please be warned: guns on boats leads to boating accidents and whole collections being lost.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    so on this theme , when we go out boating i carry an FNX that has a lanyard point, and i use one. My wife prefers a 1911 , but does not have a lanyard point on it, so she doesn't always carry. does anyone make a 1911 with a point?

Top Bottom