• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    OOOO, good idea. mental note: Add zip ties to bug out bag. I can't believe I don't have any in there. What was I thinking. They have multiple uses and are a lot lighter than handcuffs too.

When I drove to California a few years back, I bought a Taser, because I certainly couldn't take my firearm with me.
    I brought along a roll of duct tape as a means to secure my attacker.:rolleyes:
    Not the best solution, but it was what I came up with at the time.
    Luckily, I didn't have to use it during the trip...now it just sets in my safe with a dead battery.

LawDog76

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Brownsburg
    Restraints of some kind should be accessible. I am sorry to disagree but there might be a time in extended crisis situations where someone may need to be restrained.

Hysteria and harm towards another person or hopelessness and harm towards themselves can set in.

No need to be sorry, everyone is entitled to their opinion.
    In a Bug Out situation, if someone is coming at you and you feel the need to stop them, chances are their intent was to harm you. There is also the possibility that they are not alone. Do you really want to give his buddies a chance to sneak up from behind while you're distracted with him? If it is just him, do you really want him slowing you down on the way to your bug out location let alone being at your bug out location?

So you decide to leave him behind... Do you want to take the chance he'll get free and seek revenge? If he forgoes the revenge, do you want him attacking someone else?

Just things to think about. If you really are in a Bug out situation (not a personal SHTF) chances are law enforcement is going to be busy with other things and/or maybe not available for a lengthly period of time or not contactable from your current position.

LawDog76

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Brownsburg
    lets say it is a loved one who has gone hysterical from the stress of an unusual stressful situation.

I think of back to Katrina when when people were jumping to their death.

Think thats listed in the 1001 uses for duck tape. Seriously, there would be less chance of the duck tape cutting into their wrist unlike handcuffs or zip strips and you could also apply the duck tape to their ankles if need be. You wouldn't need to worry about losing the key either.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    lets say it is a loved one who has gone hysterical from the stress of an unusual stressful situation.

I think of back to Katrina when when people were jumping to their death.

Huh? I don't follow this logic at all.. Why would you handcuff a loved one who is hysterical? You obviously have never restrained someone against their will. Forcibly restraining someone does not automatcally calm them down, in fact just the opposite. Why would you want to continue an assault on a loved one?

Also, when did Katrina folks jump to their death? I think you are confused or mis-informed.

Unless you going to bring someone before a judge for a crime, handcuffs or restraints are totally unnecessary for an individual who is not a LEO. Once you cuff a person, that persons well being is totally YOUR responsibility.

Last edited:

Hammerhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    When I was a kid, my dad was a pastor at a church that had a couple of sheriff deputies as parishioners. One evening, we had gone to the church to do whatever business dad needed and to see how some maintenance project (painting or some such) that required scaffolding was coming along. One of the deputies stopped in as well, and while he and dad were talking, I asked to see his cuffs.

The deputy was holding on to one of the cross bars of the scaffolding as he leaned on it. Knowing he had a cuff key and could extract himself (kinda hoped he had some cool Houdini/ninja/secret cop trick), I quickly and expertly cuffed his arm to the scaffolding. The look of astonishment on his face after he realized what I'd done was priceless.

Luckily, he had a sense of humor too, and had a laugh about it. That's the only time I ever felt the need to cuff anyone.

Compatriot G

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    New Castle
    I worked armed security about 10 years ago in Indy. I had handcuffs, but I never used them. I remember that ordinary citizens need to be careful about using handcuffs. We had a couple of incidents where our security officers handcuffed an individual. When IPD showed up, they almost arrested our security officers for criminal confinement. An ordinary citizen doesn't get the some leeway that police officers do when it comes to the use of handcuffs. I agree with the other posters, if you're going to need something in a Bug-Out bag, I would go with duct tape.

Bondhead88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2010
    Currently In Toronto
    You would definatley be wrong on the comment "You obviously have never restrained someone against their will."

As well as your statement "Also, when did Katrina folks jump to their death? I think you are confused or mis-informed."

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,1101289,00.htmlBefore I do anything I investigate, think, ponder and re look at an issue before I make a decision.

By the advise of some of the people here I am now considering duct tape or tie downs as both have alternative uses.

And you have the right to your opinion. I strongly disagree with you there are times when you need to restrain people you care about. This would be a very unusual and difficult circumstance but they do exist.

Eliminating form your mind the possibility that something does not exist does not make it so.

.40caltrucker

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    :dunno: I don't see the need to cuff a dead guy. :dunno:
    :yesway:

Listen to this guy!! ^^^^^ If your in fear for your life shoot to kill.

In a bug out SHTF situation where law enforcement is few and far between the most you should do is take pics and call 911 if they are even answering phones. If no answer get to you bug out location asap. (maybe hide the body first though ;))

IC 35-42-3-3
    Criminal confinement
    Sec. 3. (a) A person who knowingly or intentionally:
    (1) confines another person without the other person's consent; or
    (2) removes another person, by fraud, enticement, force, or threat of force, from one (1) place to another;
    commits criminal confinement. Except as provided in subsection (b), the offense of criminal confinement is a Class D felony.
    (b) The offense of criminal confinement defined in subsection (a) is:
    (1) a Class C felony if:
    (A) the person confined or removed is less than fourteen (14) years of age and is not the confining or removing person's child;
    (B) it is committed by using a vehicle; or
    (C) it results in bodily injury to a person other than the confining or removing person; and (2) a Class B felony if it:
    (A) is committed while armed with a deadly weapon;
    (B) results in serious bodily injury to a person other than the confining or removing person; or
    (C) is committed on an aircraft.
    As added by Acts 1976, P.L.148, SEC.2. Amended by Acts 1977, P.L.340, SEC.35; Acts 1979, P.L.299, SEC.1; P.L.183-1984, SEC.2; P.L.278-1985, SEC.8; P.L.49-1989, SEC.21; P.L.59-2002, SEC.2; P.L.70-2006, SEC.1.

I wouldn't try to restrain anyone after reading the law because it makes no exception for civilians restraining a criminal and being charged with a felony is something I would avoid at all cost.

TRWXXA

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2008
    There is no law against possessing handcuffs.

As for using them... maybe this will help.

IC 35-33-1
    Chapter 1. Arrest

IC 35-33-1-4
    Any person
    Sec. 4. (a) Any person may arrest any other person if:
    (1) the other person committed a felony in his presence;
    (2) a felony has been committed and he has probable cause to believe that the other person has committed that felony; or
    (3) a misdemeanor involving a breach of peace is being committed in his presence and the arrest is necessary to prevent the continuance of the breach of peace.
    (b) A person making an arrest under this section shall, as soon as practical, notify a law enforcement officer and deliver custody of the person arrested to a law enforcement officer.
    (c) The law enforcement officer may process the arrested person as if the officer had arrested him. The officer who receives or processes a person arrested by another under this section is not liable for false arrest or false imprisonment.
    As added by Acts 1981, P.L.298, SEC.2. Amended by Acts 1982, P.L.204, SEC.7.

IC 35-33-1-5
    Definition
    Sec. 5. Arrest is the taking of a person into custody, that he may be held to answer for a crime.
    As added by P.L.320-1983, SEC.3.
    It doesn't say anything about restraint, but that is probably implied when you take a felon into "custody".

I don't why you'd want to cuff someone. To do so means you have to go hands-on with them. If they get froggy, you've just brought a gun into a fist fight. And you run the risk of losing your weapon, or getting the snot kicked out of you while you try to protect it.

I'd just let the BG continue to breath dirt, while I keep my sights between his shoulder blades and wait for cavalry to arrive.

Last edited:

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    When I drove to California a few years back, I bought a Taser, because I certainly couldn't take my firearm with me.
    I brought along a roll of duct tape as a means to secure my attacker.:rolleyes:
    Not the best solution, but it was what I came up with at the time.
    Luckily, I didn't have to use it during the trip...now it just sets in my safe with a dead battery.
    Did you wear an adult diaper for your cross country drive? And, by chance, was there a shovel in the trunk?:D
    Just kidding of course. I'm going to Vegas in a few weeks and have been giving a lot of thought to being un armed while there.

PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA
    I wouldn't carry handcuffs unless you've been trained and certified in an OFFICIAL capacity. Even then, I wouldn't use them. Too many liability issues. It's not as easy to handcuff a non-compliant person as most people seem to think.

TRWXXA

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2008
    It's not as easy to handcuff a non-compliant person as most people seem to think.
    True. It can take three or more people to restrain a person who REALLY doesn't want to be restrained, even if that person is only average size and strength. One person may be able to hold 'em down, but there won't be too much he could do with 'em.

Of course most folks don't know this, and that's why the "police brutality" cries are heard whenever it takes more than 1 or 2 cops to secure a BG.

JLawsonTXRH

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    Handcuffing someone, without the proper training, can be difficult and intimidating. Now, if the person is rendered unconscious, that's another story. But you would need to be absolutely sure they are unconscious. As a former LEO, I can tell you that it is possible to handcuff someone while having your weapon drawn, but it sure isn't easy. If the person is resisting even a little you'll need both hands and maybe a knee in the back.

Personally, I don't think I would have any uses for handcuffs. But if that's your thing or you need something for your SHTF bag, large zip ties are the way to go for sure.

On a side note, I don't know any LEO's who carry handcuffs off duty either.

FERLACH

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    Plainfield
    I CARRY HANDCUFFS AND ZIP TIES IN MY VEHICLE, YOU NEVER KNOW WHEN THEY MIGHT COME IN HANDY. I HAVE BEEN DOING THAT FOR ALMOST THIRTY YEARS AND HAVE NEVER USED THEM, BUT THEY COST VERY LITTLE. I HAVE ALSO CARRIED A GUN FOR THIRTY YEARS AND HAVE NEVER HAD TO USE IT EITHER.

Last edited:

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I know this thread has mostly played out, but wanted to ad my opinion.

Why wouldn't I want them to escape? If he runs away, I don't have to fight him.

Why risk blood-borne or skin-borne pathogens? Ask the cops here about how many people they run across carrying something nasty. I was just talking about MRSA in court today.

Why risk a slippery and copper-smelling jiujitsu match? Or a fist fight with one handcuff, ask the cops here about the goat rodeo that is.

I have no duty to pursue. I'm not going to. If he/we break contact, distance is my friend. Proximity deletes skill.

Let him go . . . far, far away.
    If he is down and "out" enough that you could get cuffs on him, I'm sure he is down and "out" enough that he would no longer be considered a threat. The only exception I can see to this is if he still has a firearm etc, and in that case I wouldn't be trying to cuff him, I'd be trying to maintain cover.

I just can't see a single purpose to ever need handcuffs in public unless you're an LEO. Somebody may correct me, but I just don't see it...

Also, in a Bug out scenario duct tape would be much more useful. Why sacrifice the space/weight on an item that can only be used for one single purpose? Bring duct tape instead because it has virtually unlimited uses, and will be much, much more beneficial in a bug out scenario.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    If you are just asking if its legal to carry handcuffs I dont know anything against it.
    Then if your are not a LEO with no power to arrest you may just get in more trouble by using them on someone.Not even talking about the weight, policer officers are glad when the can leave their cuffs at home espcecialy if they carry more than a pair.
    It is also for me the best way to look like a cop wannabe if you get arrest.
    If you already have the gun and the cuffs all you need to add now is the CCW badge on your belt and maybe if you wanna go all the way something who says "POLICE" on your car.
    That always looks good. :D

Bondhead88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2010
    Currently In Toronto
    If you are just asking if its legal to carry handcuffs I dont know anything against it.
    Then if your are not a LEO with no power to arrest you may just get in more trouble by using them on someone.Not even talking about the weight, policer officers are glad when the can leave their cuffs at home espcecialy if they carry more than a pair.
    It is also for me the best way to look like a cop wannabe if you get arrest.
    If you already have the gun and the cuffs all you need to add now is the CCW badge on your belt and maybe if you wanna go all the way something who says "POLICE" on your car.
    That always looks good. :D
    Nope don't want to be a LEO nor look like one. It was a Bug out Bag question not a carry and imitate question (that's why it is good to read the opening post) I also already decided to go to zip ties and duct tape

I could have been a LEO, I even had two large organizations try and recruit me but my IQ was too high and I know who my father is.

Top Bottom