• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Knight 1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2011
    South indianapolis
    What options do you legally have if your new handgun fails before it's even fired. Purchased 24 hrs earlier and trigger all of a sudden hung loose. Should the dealer replace it, replace it with something else, work a deal of sorts, do nothing but send it in for repair? No shots fired! Mixed thoughts.

loony1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    Southside Indy
    Legally I would guess nothing. Good business practice would be to repair or replace your gun by the manufacturer. It would be really nice if the store would help you out with this problem.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Brand new? If so, it'll be under warranty and I'd expect the manufacturer to honor the warranty that comes with the product. I can't imagine a reputable manufacturer not making things right. But, knock on wood, I've never had to test things.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    I had a problem with a Taurus .357 snubbie that I just bought. The bolt wasn't locking the cylinder into position, so the cylinder was just spinning. Luckily I found this out before putting more than 25 rounds through it. I was able to ship it back to Taurus (on their dime), and they are currently repairing it, with no cost to me.

Most reputable manufactures will do the same thing. Heck, even Hipoint will do that.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    What options do you legally have if your new handgun fails before it's even fired. Purchased 24 hrs earlier and trigger all of a sudden hung loose. Should the dealer replace it, replace it with something else, work a deal of sorts, do nothing but send it in for repair? No shots fired! Mixed thoughts.

The problem is that the dealer has already 'transferred' the gun to you, as such the gun is now yours, all repair liability would fall on the manufacturer. The dealer can feel sorry for you, he can be a really nice guy, but the fact is that the gun is going back to the manufacturer for repair.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Like the others said, take it back to the dealer who will probably gladly help you send it back to the manufacturer. The manufacturer will repair or replace it for you. Only the manufacturer can replace a firearm. The dealer cannot. If they replace it, you will get a letter showing the old gun's serial number and the serial number of the new gun.

I have gotten a replacement Mini-14 from Ruger and a replacement revolver from S&W over the years. Other guns have just been repaired by the manufacturer.

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county
    The problem is that the dealer has already 'transferred' the gun to you, as such the gun is now yours, all repair liability would fall on the manufacturer. The dealer can feel sorry for you, he can be a really nice guy, but the fact is that the gun is going back to the manufacturer for repair.

Depends on who the dealer does business with. A LGS deals withs Davidson's Gallery of guns. And they say that if you have any problem with a firearm that they sell you from them, bring it back to them, and they will have it replaced for you.

Knight 1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2011
    South indianapolis
    New, Ruger sr22, cleaned and perhaps dry fired twice at dealer. Upon bringing it home I broke it down when cleaning and reassembling but trigger was then lose. I did not feel anything wrong in the process. I then disassembled again and couldn't see anything wrong but trigger still hung lose. I took it back.

partyboy6686

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I would hope that the dealer would help you resolve your issue. Ive had this same issue before and the dealer i bought it from sent the gun back to the manufactor for me and took care of all the shipping charges.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    New, Ruger sr22, cleaned and perhaps dry fired twice at dealer. Upon bringing it home I broke it down when cleaning and reassembling but trigger was then lose. I did not feel anything wrong in the process. I then disassembled again and couldn't see anything wrong but trigger still hung lose. I took it back.

If you reassembled it wrong, it's your issue, not theirs.

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    Did you "dry fire" a 22lr without a snap cap? Not a good idea. If you reassembled it wrong, hopefully the store can help you out.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    As LP1 said above, I would not recommend dry firing a .22 at all.

Best of luck with the problem though, and I hope it all gets worked out for you. :ingo:

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010

Did the shop fix you up? If so, what shop was it. Always good to know if someone has good customer service.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Many, if not most, if not all, modern 22's can be safely dry fired. There is a cutout in the breach face that accepts the firing pin and eliminates the chamber peaning that can happen with 50 year old 22's like the Mossberg US 44 and many others.

A good example is the 10-22 and 22/45 Rugers and Remington Model 5.

Attend a smallbore match with 22 target rifles. During the preparation period, everybody is dry firing many times without issues.

In any event, dry firing a couple of times does not damage a modern 22 rifle or pistol and is unlikely to cause the problem described by the OP.

Top Bottom