• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HighStrung

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Pendleton
    Just bought a Colt Mustang .380 and plans are for my wife to carry that one. Low recoil, easy to conceal, fits her hands great. Small enough to be carried in one of her little designer purses even.

RHorn

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 13, 2009
    Noblesville
    My step mom carries a .38 snub. She got that because her experience was limited and there is a lot less to think about. She shoots it very well.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Try as many as possible - you never know what you are going to like.

A good place to do this is at a basic pistol class.

GregD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Oct 7, 2009
    Madison County
    I think the same guidelines apply to both men and women. Find a pistol that feel right in her hand and is of a weight and size that she will be happy carrying. If she seems to want something with low recoil the 380 could be a good choice. The Bersa or Walther PPKs is what I would suggest that she try out.

baldmax

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    North Liberty
    I would go with a .38 revolver if she is not experienced. As she gains confidence and proficiency, switch to an auto. She just may like the little revolver.

t413

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 3, 2010
    NE IN
    Stupid ? but can she rack a slide? That will limit some of the guns we can suggest.

+1
    This is more important with age.
    A senior friend of mine bought a Glock 19 as his first handgun because it is simple and reliable.
    But after his first range visit, we found out that he could not rack the slide back due to arthritis :n00b:

I say, get your wife any gun she can operate, she is comfortable with, and (most important) the one SHE WANTS.

Don't force a gun on her based on what you want otherwise it will most likely get left behind when needed or she would be too afraid to use it.
    Get her something that she wants and she will always carry it.

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    kinda echoing the majority here but I bought my wife for christmas a bersa thunder .380 in two tone. I took her with me in November and she decided on a .380. She first grabbed the walther PPK but couldn't operate the slide. Next choice was the bersa and she had no issues.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    I agree that the Bersa .380s and the Ruger SP101s are both great choices, from a recoil and ease of use perspective, but I agree more that SHE should pick it out, without any pressure, and shoot what SHE likes. And, as was earlier mentioned, you get to go gun shopping, too!!

southern.in.guy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2010
    switzerland county
    My wife carries a Keltec P32. The 32 is not the best defense round but it is better than nothing. My wife is petite and has a problem racking the slide on bigger guns and she does not like wheel guns. She feels safer caring the the Keltec with a empty chamber and she can handle this gun and shoots it well. If she has problems racking slides look at wheel guns they are very dependable and easy to shoot. S&W and Taurus both make ultralight models in 38spl witch are light and easy to carry but they have more recoil. Let her shoot some different guns and see what see likes.

HighStrung

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Pendleton
    I agree more that SHE should pick it out, without any pressure, and shoot what SHE likes. And, as was earlier mentioned, you get to go gun shopping, too!!

+1 I think is the best advice given so far. A gun is personal, it's her decision to have one, to carry one, and to decide on what that "one" should be. Let her shoot a few rentals or borrowed from friends. Hopefully she won't pick out a pink one though :):

indyartisan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    My wife decided my colt cobra .38 was "her" gun. I have carried it off and on for 20+ years and consider it my gun. Went out and got her a nice colt agent, beautiful finish. same grips, same gun only prettier (D frame Colt with alloy frame). Didnt work to well, she doesnt like the "pretty gun" . She wants "her" gun. Want is a guy to do?

apovinelli

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2010
    Indy
    After reading everyone else's suggestions, I have changed from having an opinion about the bersa .380 to agreeing with other that she should choose and get a feel for the gun. Unless this is just an excuse for you to buy a small gun for yourself and tell your buddies its for your wife! SIZE MATTERS LOL!!!

barrelmaker_2002

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    Rochester, MN
    These "best gun for a lady" posts really annoy me. Gender makes no difference in how you go about picking a firearm for a person. And no one should be picking a firearm for another person, even if they ask you to do so. Make them pick out their own gun - if they wanted to take up golf, would they let someone else pick out their clubs? I doubt it....

No matter who is buying a gun, you have to ask the same questions. Does it fit their hand? Will they be comfortable carrying it? How do they plan to carry it? Can they manipulate all of the controls? Did they a try as many as possible on the range? How sensitive are they to recoil? Etc.....

Yes, the size of a person matters when picking a gun. But not all women are small and not all men are big.

Long day.....

t413

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 3, 2010
    NE IN
    No matter who is buying a gun, you have to ask the same questions. Does it fit their hand? Will they be comfortable carrying it? How do they plan to carry it? Can they manipulate all of the controls?

This pretty sums up the entire thread.
    How comfortable is it to them and can they operate the gun.

Over the past two years, I have reccomended a Glock 19 to two people for their first handgun.
    1st guy - the G19 was uncomfortable in his hand to shoot. Grip was too big so he ended up dumping the G19 for an XD.

2nd guy - Could not rack the slide due to arthritis

Since then, I no longer reccomend a gun but rather I say, "Go finds some guns that are comfortable in your hand and you can operate all the controls comfortably. Let me know which ones you like and we will go from there."
    .."Its like asking someone to go out and buy some underwear for you.
    You might end up with a super tight thong. Something uncomfortable and something you would NEVER wear."

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    My wife carries a Ruger SP101 in .38+P with a Trausch Grip and a Meprolight Front Night Sight. She packs Federal 129 Grain JHP Hy-Shoks in it and is ready to go. She carries it in a DeSantis Belt Pouch, along with her wallet, cell phone, and keys (sort of a purse on the hip.) During the summer, she grabs my Ruger LCR for pocket carry. Both are guns easy to pull-point-n-shoot, with DAO available with the LCR, and the .38+P is not too harsh for her.

Top Bottom