• ...and so much more!
  • SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    I am thinking about purchasing a Ruger LCR for my wife. We are leaning towards a revolver for the simpler manual of arms and reliability.

I had a S&W Mdl 640 Centennial, but she did not have the hand strength to pull the trigger more than twice. She does not like shooting my CZ82 or Kahr P9. She is not a single action fan. Any recommendations from the esteemed tribe?

Justin Case

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2012
    Brown County
    I would not recommend a Ruger LCR in .357 magnum if your wife does not have good hand strength. Although .38 special may be okay. I suggest she test fire one before you buy it. Just my opinion.

jchuff87

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Well, I dunno how different this is from you 640 but I've shot a 638 recently. There is no noticeable recoil, at least for me, and they are surprisingly, not saying this lightly, accurate. Also, the trigger pull is nice n light though the double action is a little stiff when new. I'm not sure if you ever shot a LCR but in my experience they do have some serious recoil. Probably OK if it is not going to be used for much target practice but continuous firing is not especially pleasant.

Yukon622

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 24, 2011
    brownsburg
    My wife likes shooting our revolver better then any of the semi autos. She enjoys shooting and knows how to shoot every gun we own, but I think she likes the simplicity of point and shoot with the revolver. We have a .357 with 4 inch barrel and when shooting .38's it's weight makes recoil very manageable.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    My wife likes shooting our revolver better then any of the semi autos. She enjoys shooting and knows how to shoot every gun we own, but I think she likes the simplicity of point and shoot with the revolver. We have a .357 with 4 inch barrel and when shooting .38's it's weight makes recoil very manageable.

I was thinking what Yukon said. You can often pick up nice .38 revolvers for $300 to $400. Something like a 4" SW Mod 10 or Ruger Service 6. They often have buttery smooth triggers.

Dobber

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    Granger (South Bend)
    Any gun shop with a range will allow you to test-fire any used weapons. The gun shops near me all have a used version of *most* guns they sell new OR can provide a similar experience. Just take her down and try the different models. Let her decide what she wants to carry...not a bunch of forum goons (me included). I made this mistake, I suggest you don't do the same.

-Dobber

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Thanks for all the ideas. I am going to stop my local gun shop and see what they have in stock, that she can try. Keep the ideas and inputs flowing. I really appreciate it.

dondavis3

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2011
    DFW area
    A good shooting friend of mine bought one for his wife.

She hated it - it kicked way too hard for her.

She said it was "punishing" to shoot.

:cool:

dondavis3

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2011
    DFW area
    My wife likes the S&W "Shield"

SampWMampPShield-1.jpg

It's a 9mm

Soft recoil / small / reliable / easy to shoot

Fits easily in her purse.

:cool:

wesnellans

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Marshall County
    My wife and I searched high and low for a gun for her. Up until a few weeks ago she was convinced that the Bodyguard 380 of mine was now hers. Then I bought my Nano - and she and I were on the way to Midwest to buy her one. But the conversation turned back to revolvers on the way up there and she decided to look at the LCR in .357 (extra weight on that model to handle recoil, ammo selection greater). Now, she's relatively new to shooting, and doesn't have lots of hand strength and is recoil sensitive. She, too, was unable to even manipulate the trigger on my 642.

Anyway, brought home some target 38 ammo thinking I'd end up giving up my Nano and end up with the LCR (aw, shucks!). She went through many cylinders that day and loved shooting it so much she sent me to the store for more ammo! "And get some 357 while you're there!"

Turns out the Tamer grip on that LCR, coupled with the polymer frame and extra weight in the 357 model was just the ticket. Trigger pull is easy and smooth, and only the heavy 357 loads prove to be too much recoil to deal with. WWB 110 grain 357 shoot with less felt recoil than regular 38's did in my 642, and lesser loads are just a hoot!

I'd have said any snubby was a poor choice for a newbie until we got the LCR. She loves it that much!

tskin

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2008
    West Central Indiana
    I second the suggestions that she shoot the gun & like it before you buy it. I bought a LCR .38 a few years ago thinking my wife would like it due to it's size. I was wrong - it had too much recoil for her & hurt her small weak hands. She shot it about 5 times & hasn't touched it since. Good luck.

upchurch67

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    A J frame revolver is a GREAT choice for concealed carry. It is a horrible choice for plinking or target shooting. Even with 38 special loads, they can be unpleasant to shoot for any length of time. I think a 4 inch K frame revolver in .357 is quite possibly the perfect choice for self defense and plinking/target shooting.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    My main carry revolver is a Smith 442. With regular 38 loads it isnt too punishing to shoot, and is quite accurate. My wife chose the LCR (38 Spl) for hers, after much deliberation, because the trigger felt lighter to her. As far as recoil, only the stoutest of +P loads are troublesome to shoot in either gun for her, though I will admit, her other carry revolver is a 44 Mag...

Top Bottom