• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mr. Smith

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 9, 2012
    My wife Carries a 642 w/ +p. she also likes shooting my model 66 mag and wants a 44 mag. She is. Great shot and handles herself quite well.

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    My wife started with a SP101 an said it was to heavy to carry . Changed to a LCR and she is happy now.

She should practice with whatever she gets, or course, but I'd recommend that she even train up on grip strength. Our grip strength declines steadily after 35 or so and no matter what kind of revolver she's carrying, it'll be an issue in later years. I agree with the above. Lighter weight = more likely to carry = more likely to have it when needed.

a.bentonab

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 22, 2009
    Evansville
    I'm in a somewhat similar situation myself. My mother in law asked me to clean her handgun that she hasn't so much as taken out of the sock drawer in 15 years; to my horror she pulls out a Jennings .380. I did a bit of education and recommended a different choice of gun.

For someone who is unwilling or unable to get enough trigger time to know how to operate a semi auto and KNOW WHAT TO DO WHEN IT JAMS from muscle memory, I have to recommend a revolver. Stone cold reliability and if it jams, just keep pulling the trigger. No safeties to forget how to operate or fumble with in the dark. .38 is the obvious starting point due to availability. First time shooters may shy away from "that big gun" and get the smaller less intimidating snubby 2" barrel. This is a mistake. While snubby revolvers are exclent carry guns their smaller mass is less able to absorb recoil: Physics 101 force=mass x acceleration. I would recommend as large a handgun as practical for the particular application. For my Mother in law that would be to sit in a sock drawer. The added weight of a .357 revolver can tame .38 special rounds which can also be used in a .357. Be sure the user is able to perform any actions necessary to using the firearm ( pulling the slide back on a semi auto, pulling the heavy trigger pull of a revolver)

If she is set on staying with either a semi auto or .380 in particular Ill recommend as heavy a gun as she can reliably operate. If she disagrees with all of my recommendations, which mothers in law are wont to do, I'll settle with a ruger lcp lol.

mfirem19

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2012
    Grant County
    I recommend the Sig-Sauer P-938. It's a New small frame 1911 style pistol that is easy to conceal. Of course ammo availability is there as well. And the best part is all come with night sights already on it.

adsVA83

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    Indianapolis
    My fiance bought the LCR in .38 as her very first gun, no experience shooting at all. She was sold on the grip and the trigger. The trigger is one of the smoothest DA triggers i've ever shot. It has a pretty good kick to it since it's so lightweight but it's very easy to carry.

G.ninO

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    I bought a 905 9mm tuarus for my wife. she loves it. the cheapest and most common round for me plus it also helps not haven so many diffrent size ammo. keep it simple. Dont know if that helps but a nice revolver for a women. plus if she has small hands it might be more comftable..

Soside

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    S&W bodyguard is a great choice not just because of the size or how easy it is to shoot for a woman but because it has a safety which a lot of the other .380's dont have

Jneal

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    When searching for a handgun for my wife, she handled and shot several and eventually she decided on a Bersa Thunder 380 combat model. And so far it's been a great gun for her.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I started my wife out with a Bersa .380, and she did ok with that. Now she shoots my former duty weapon, a Glock 22. She is much better with the Glock than she was with the Bersa.

Don't think smaller hands = smaller weapon. Larger pistols are easier to shoot. Longer sight radius is more forgiving on the aim, larger body sucks up more recoil and has more surface area, etc. A full size 9mm or .38 revolver may be the way to fly. Lots of options out there, though.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    South Bend
    Got my wife a Ruger LCP .380. She loved how it fit her hand and the trigger, but she couldn't cycle a round into the chamber because of arthritis. Now looking at one of the .38 Special wheel guns in the Ultra-Light lines.

smokestack

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 17, 2010
    Lafayette
    Just an idea.

When my wife was trying to find her a pistol we went to the range and rented different models so she could "test drive" them to see what she liked. I think the most important thing is to find a gun she is comfortable with.

mj.elder

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    The lcr is a great starter gun and fits the smaller hands of a lot of women. far better for those that aren't super comfortable around semi automatic guns. dont have to chamber it or cock it. just load it, leave it, and pull the trigger five times and you get five bangs. the lcr gets my vote.

IndyTacoma

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Avon
    Wife liked shooting my M&P 9 full size. Yesterday we were at the local shops and found the Breast Cancer awareness M&P 9 with the symbol on the slide and pink backstrap so she decided she had to have it.

Top Bottom