• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    My GF seen a "Baby Eagle" the last time she went to the local gun shop w/ me and thats all ive herd about for the last week,lol. She shoots my .40sw with no prob shes 5'6 an 139pds. But she was brought up shooting so I guess its just what ur used to. Maybe look into one of those small .22mag revolvers.

ElsiePeaRN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Eastern Indiana
    My wife wouldn't even know where to start... Why should she make the decision??

so help her get started and THEN let her make the decision about what she feels comfortable carrying.

Let her hold a few, and if possible, take her to a range and let her shoot a few. Then let her decide what she wants to carry. For what it's worth, I'm happy with my Ruger LCP.

Burr Head

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    S&W Model 19. 2&1/2 inch with Pachmyr grips...She picked it out of my gun collection 28 years ago. She shoots it like Doc Holiday and scares the bejesus out of me...BH

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Whatever you get her, make sure that it is she who is making the decision. Ask me how I know...

Because it's her gun, let her pick it out, take your wife to the gun store and let her handle guns, try to find a way to get her some trigger time with guns that feel good in her hands

:+1::+1::+1:

Does she have any experience shooting handguns? You say she finally came on board, was she against guns before or just did not care to own one? Just curious because you want to make sure her first shooting experiences are positive so she is not scared away. Try to get her to handle as many as she can and if at all possible to get some trigger time in as well and then let her make the choice. Good luck and congrats on the wife getting into personal protection! :yesway:

Buy your wife a gun you think she should have and all your doing is buying yourself a gun ....she won't shoot it ..(not that this is a bad thing )

take her to a gun shop (like were I work ) let her handle guns ask for help on picking her one out , let HER speak with the salesman
    Let the salesman help her .

If she makes the decision she will like the handgun and she will use it .

Good luck :ingo::patriot:

so help her get started and THEN let her make the decision about what she feels comfortable carrying.

Let her hold a few, and if possible, take her to a range and let her shoot a few. Then let her decide what she wants to carry. For what it's worth, I'm happy with my Ruger LCP.
    These ^. And that's about it.

dholmtime

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I would take here to a gun shop to hold a bunch of different stuff see what feels good and make a top 3 list. Then I would do research online and make a post here. I would look into a compact 9mm or maybe the lcp .380 with a pinky extender. Maybe even wait 'til february to check out the LC9 when it comes out. But its all up to what she feels comfortable with. Good luck and happy shopping!

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    This is strictly my opinion, and has worked in many years of firearms training, and for men and ladies alike. Buy a handgun just like you would buy a pair of shoes. If Ol' Joe over here says he likes Charlie China tennis shoes, and you're looking for a new pair of shoes, do you run out and buy Joe's pick, just because HE likes 'em? Probably not. If a new shooter is asking what to buy for a carry gun, it doesn't matter what works for me, or anyone else. I suggest telling that new shooter to go to many gun shops, and/or gun shows, and handle all the guns they can get hold of. Just like they would try on shoes. Before long they'll be able to make a list of guns that feel ok, pretty good, real good, and "that really feels great in my hands". The last two are the ones to pursue, and here's why I say that....
    If a given handgun doesn't feel "right" in your hands, you'll not shoot it enough to become proficient with it, because it's not comfortable, and you won't like shooting it. Just like you rarely wear shoes that are UNcomfortable. If you're not gonna become proficient with it, save your money, and buy a ball bat to carry. With proper fundamentals, he/she can learn to shoot almost any handgun, or any caliber. Very few folks can re-train their hands to make just any handgun feel comfortable. The last suggestion.........proper shooting techinques, practiced slowly, but proficiently, will breed speed. Do it slowly, and do it the right way, every time.......If you practice speed first, and introduce less efficient techniques into your training, you'll have to do it all over again to get it right.

By the way..... anyone who introduces a new shooter to our pastime by having them start with a large-caliber handgun, makes a very poor decision. Yes, some folks do ok starting out with large calibers, but the vast majority will not continue to shoot if their very 1st experience is with .50 S&W. Start with a .22 caliber something, and as your technique/accuracy improves, work up from there.

Again, just my ramblings.... but they work for me...

Shoot Safely....

rtfisher1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Anderson
    similar situation as Burr Head posted above... my wife likes my S&W 2.5 inch 19 with hogue boot grips. The smooth trigger is what she likes. I have a 3 inch 64 for her but I think she likes the 19 better.

willie69

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    start her off with a .22 deringer than move up to .22 rev. after that a .32 is about perfect for her to handle good luck it's getting scary out there

jzukjr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2010
    crawfordsville
    My wife has finally came on board and is wanting to get her Lifetime. What handgun should we look at for her? She is only 5'3 and 105lbs

ive got a .38 that im trying to get my wife to at least keep in the car because our little boy. she knows how to shoot thanks to her father. haha. id go with whatever she is comfortable with

Top Bottom