• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jkwparrott

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Corydon, IN
    I think it depends on your wife. I made the mistake of buying a 9mm for my wife, thinking it was a nice size and that she'd like it. She didn't. So I sold that one and took her to the gun shop where she picked out a Ruger LCR .357 revolver. She's not a big person so I was a bit worried until we went shooting and I saw how good she is with it.

rcox

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Jackson County
    Hello INGO,

I am looking to you for some guidance as my experience in the handgun arena is limited. My soon to be wife has expressed interest in owning her own gun. What suggestions do you have for a handgun for her?

She has hunted and shot more than most, but not much with handguns. I think something small enough that she can handle is important. Budget is probably around $400 or less (negotiable). She has shot my one handgun - Ruger SR9 - and didn't mind it. I am looking for guidance on anything. I think 9mm is a plus, but open to other calibers. What about .22lr? She would primarily just shoot at the farm, but likes the sense of it being a defense weapon.

All in all, this gun would probably sit around and maybe turn into another toy for me.
    My wife has the Ruger LCR. My feeling is that it is light, hammerless, mostly a revolver. Even though it is 5 shot, I feel more confident for her to have a wheel gun that is not likely to jam, or if it misfires its just a matter of pulling the trigger again. I sometimes carry it when we are together, it is easy to pocket without weight and bulk. Whatever the brand, the revolver makes sense for us.

recon72

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2012
    If she's not a "shooter" I would suggest you stay away from autos. A good, light 5 shot 38 is the best for her. I've taught alot of classes and although wheel guns aren't too popular in these days, they are the best for women. In the chance a malfunction occurs, the autos present a real problem.

ret

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    Since you mentioned 22LR...I may let her try a Ruger LCR in 22LR. If she is not put off by more, LCR 38. If Semi-auto is not a problem, I really think the GLOCK 19 is tough to beat for a good combination of size, capacity, good round etc...

Armed-N-Ready

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    Let her pick it out and shoot it first.

When I read the topic line I thought this should have been in the classifieds and was willing to post if picture of my wife if you wanted. Sounded like a pretty good trade to me.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    Use the ammo that you have on the farm and work around that. Usually that means you have a 10/22 or other small rifle and you already have a 9mm. The .22lr LCR sounds like a decent choice to shoot with as pointed out by one of the above posts. There's 8 shots and should there be a problem, just pull the trigger again. Then once she is comfortable in shooting, move up to the .38 or .357. Unless she has practiced A LOT with a semi-auto, it probably would not be a wise choice to jump into one without knowing what to do with all of the various "what if" scenarios that can happen. The LCR line is a good way to move up in power...plus they are fun to shoot.:twocents:

Rip007

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    There is nothing wrong with 22lr. The Ruger LCR in 22LR would be a good starter. Get her something that she is comfortable with and will practice with. My wife carried a 22lr for ten years before switching to 9mm.

PaulKersey

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 16, 2012
    Evansville
    I have noticed that my wife always gravitates toward the lighter guns, like the LC9, LCR, etc. Yet, she shoots the GP100 much better, due to the weight absorbing more of the recoil. I may be in the minority, but I think most inexperienced shooters are better served with a steel 357, such as a GP100 or Smith 686, with 38 +P loads or mild 357 JHPs like the Golden Saber. Very manageable recoil, and they don't have to understand the complexities of the semiauto pistol.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    I opened this thread because I thought you were offering a trade. We need neg rep back. Bait and switch. Ambiguous thread titles suck.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    If she's not a "shooter" I would suggest you stay away from autos. A good, light 5 shot 38 is the best for her. I've taught alot of classes and although wheel guns aren't too popular in these days, they are the best for women. In the chance a malfunction occurs, the autos present a real problem.

And loading is foolproof*. My wife loaded all the cartridges backwards in the magazine. :n00b:

* There's always a bigger fool.

Danger Boy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2012
    Clark county
    My wife got the Ruger LC9 with laser... I love this for her - 1. It has a loaded indicator on the top. 2. Has a well placed and easy to see safety switch. 3. Fits her hand. Having a 9mm is just perfect for her - it not too big or small it has just enough "make my day punk" size to it.
    Note: my wife's finger is not long enough to push the laser button... Maybe consider instinctive activation laser.

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    let me be the..(well let me scroll up and see how many posts are here)..id guess about 20th person to say.. let her feel the gun. dont choose for her. take her to a shop and see where she hovers.. be it the airweights / revolvers. subcompacts, etc.

from there, you can see what she likes to handle, and then surprise her with a purdy new life insurance policy. (after you get her some training and conditioning of course)

ZX-14R

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Glock 19 Gen4
    Smith and Wesson M&P 9c
    Smith and Wesson M&P Shield 9mm
    Glock 26 Gen4
    Kahr PM9
    Kahr CW9
    Kahr CM9
    Sig Sauer P938

This is a list of firearms that I have owned (and/or) shot extensively, and would (and do) trust my life to every single day.

It is a short list of the ones that I trust, the list of ones I do not is considerably longer. I would not hesitate to put anyone of these in the hands of a loved one.

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    My wife LOVES my Glock 19! She tried taking my man-card away by leaving me to carry the Glock 26, but I showed her. I bought a Glock 34 to carry. She WILL NOT carry a bigger gun than me!
    You have to find a gun that feels good to her. It doesn't matter what we suggest if she isn't comfortable with it. 9mm is a great option due to very light recoil and affordable ammo (lots of practice). The rest depends on her :twocents:

Top Bottom