• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheBoss930

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 12, 2016
    Indianapolis
    I was wondering how many rounds can a single barrel last? I know there is many variables but specifically a .45ACP Barrel.

What about the Handgun itself?

Thanks!

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Going to go on a limb and say there are way too many variables to accurately put a number on that. I know I have at least 4000 rounds down the pipe of my Springfield Operator and it's still definitely going strong

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Depends. Rapid fire that creates heat build up will cause more wear than the same number of rounds with long pauses between each shot. It also depends on what you consider "worn out", as accuracy gradual degrade over time but the barrel is still safe and functional.

Glocks and Sigs have both been tested beyond 80k rounds with no noticeable degradation in accuracy. Stay on top of spring changes and basic maintenance and you should be able to get well north of 100k rounds out of a quality duty gun with no major mishaps. I've got a P226 with a touch over 40k rounds, and it's needed springs, a decocker lever, and a front sight (fiber optic came out).

Accuracy still seems pretty good (I can't recall if this was 10y or 7y, but a 10 shot group shot at an indoor range):

20160830_121628_zpszv1ro8wp.jpg

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    As already mentioned, it depends on how hot the ammo was and how hot you got the barrel while shooting it, but don't forget the importance of proper cleaning and storage.
    Hickok45 has a Smith & Wesson model 29 that he originally bought in the 1970s that he says he has shot over 70K rounds through at this point, with all original parts still on it, and it still shoots very well, with a top marksman shooting it certainly helping in that last aspect.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I recently replaced a Glock 9mm barrel that had @80k rounds through it. More because I wanted to than because I had to. BBI's mentioned 100k seems like a pretty good generic number.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    It'll take so much ammo that the cost of said ammo will make the replacement of a barrel or even a gun trivial.

I wore out a beretta 92fs somewhere around 120k rounds. lower barrel lugs sheared cracking the chamber and frame rails. gun had lost accuracy, it was hard to keep them all on an ipsc head box at 15 yards (the throat was about completely eroded away. that gun had been run hard and hot). The other beretta I competed with, an EII, has about 60k and no sign of accuracy loss.

my 38 super open gun also has about 60k and no sign of accuracy loss.

my G34 has about 15k on it and is as accurate as when it was new.

I shoot jacketed and don't clean the bores.

-rvb

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I'd expect the barrel life of .45 ACP to probably be higher than others. Strictly barrel wear, however. Lugs, links, and etc may go out before the barrel is "shot out".

Then there's the firearm itself. Not all are created equal. Sticking with .45 ACP and suggesting the 1911 platform - it can also depend on if it's a ramped barrel set up or an older style with the feed ramp as a part of the frame. Slamming rounds into the frame over and over and over for X-thousand times can, will, and does create a set of issues. Likewise, the rearward slamming of the slide against the innards cause issues. Gotta keep a pistol properly sprung.

Too many variables indeed. Too many to worry about with a QUALITY firearm.

With a non-quality firearm - it can be a literal crap shoot.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    I'm with the concensus that, in normal use, pistol barrels will last as long as the rest of the gun or longer. I'd guess that's because the best steel is in the barrel.

I had a Springfield 1911 that I did wear out. After 125K rounds (Maybe even 150K? I lost count), the front of the rails started to chip, the front sight came loose and the barrel bushing broke. I replaced the sights, barrel bushing, and added a "Dwyer group gripper", and the pistol would shoot ragged 1 hole groups at 50'.

Throat erosion in rifle barrels is an entirely different story. My National Match AR started to throw occasional "7's" after about 6K rounds

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Oh handgun life, I thought you meant "Handgun Life". You know like those "Salt Life" stickers I see on peoples vehicles. Could be an idea though.
    My favorites are the Assault Life stickers which picture AR's and AK's instead of fishing stuff like the Salt Life ones.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I would love to wear a handgun out. I shoot 50 to 100 rounds weekly (some might say weakly, but we won't go there right now) spread across a couple of favorite guns. If I limited my shooting to only one gun, it would still take me over 25 years to wear the thing out. Spread out across the favorites, it's pushing a hundred or more years. This might be something I challenge my heirs to do. Will them the gun with the expectation of them shooting it regularly.

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    I've got a 109 year old Colt that I shoot occasionally. It is still a tack driver. Am I afraid of it breaking? Yeah, a little.

Dewidmt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    South of the Muscatatuck
    I believe I read an article last year concerning the Gen 1 Glock 17 that firearms guru Chuck Taylor purchased and tried to kill with torture testing. It is back at the Glock factory in their museum still going strong with an estimated 170,000 rounds through it!

Tomc1947

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    YODER
    Truth is, most people don't shoot a gun enough to break it in, let alone wear it out...and that's a good thing if like used guns.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I've read that the military shooting teams, who shoot bullseye competitions, replace their 1911 match barrels after 20,000-30,000 rounds. They test the barrels in barrel test fixtures to ascertain accuracy. Of course they demand more accuracy at 50 yards than the vast majority of 1911 owners. Unless you are shooting bullseye matches, you'll probably wear out before the barrel. Copper jacketed bullets will wear faster than lead bullets. Rifle barrels wear faster than pistol barrels, but that is a subject for another thread.

bubbazap

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Southern Indiana
    I have a colt with over 50k rounds thru it and have noticed little to no loss of accuracy. I do not shoot rapid fire (maybe once in a while) so maybe that has something to do with it.

Top Bottom