• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Deadman's Hollow
    Hey all just registered here the other day and all I have to say is thank god for a forum of nothing but Hoosiers from good old Indiana.

Anyways, back to the point of this, I just received my lifetime permit in the mail. Everything about this permit is vague to me, since there isn't much paperwork with it.

Really my question is, do I have to carry concealed or can I carry let's say my XD 45 with a Fobus paddle holster?

Anyways, good forum and I will get some pictures of my goodies on there as well.

AFA1CY

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    In that Field that is Green
    Welcome!
    I would highly suggest getting the book:

Indiana Handgun Law by Bryan Ciyou.

index

He goes in to great detail on where and how you can carry. Also do some research on the Indiana code.

Indiana Code TITLE 35, Article 47 Table of Contents

Be aware that some cities have the right and most do restrict carrying on city owned property. This is especially true in city parks. Hope this helps.

Ford Truck

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Franklin Twp., DeKalb County, Ind.
    Our Indiana License To Carry Handgun is just that, a license to carry handgun. How we carry it is up to us. Indiana has had licensed carry since 1935, but preemption is weak. Some cities had their own laws on the books prior to '35 and some local regulations are still in efect. I think Indianapolis has city regulations against carrying in city parks.

skigun75

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Indiana
    Permit me a small hijack...

Would any of us not pay an extra 5, 10 or 20 bucks to get these damn things put on a real card, like a drivers license. Even if it was pink, still. I know Rhino doesn't mind the color, but who really thinks that my paper lifetime license is gonna last 5 years? Even if laminated?

:soapbox:

I'm done. Thanks.

ps - watch the "Schools" prohibition. It can be very expansive.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I have my own laminator. I can use super thick envelopes, or I can laminate multiple times with the thinner envelopes (I did the latter for my lifetime LTC because that's what I had on hand).

Don't forget to scan or photocopy it first! ;)

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Not just city parks but anywhere IndyParks has control over. This includes city owned glof course, greenways (Monon trail), Eagle Creek park (not the range), etc. Check out:

Park Listings

and

Sport Complexes

I'm thinking that new mayor otta be on the right side to start the procedures to change this. We can carry in the state parks now and while bow hunting.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    The problem with laminating these cards is that they no longer fit in a standard size card slot in your wallet.

I sent an e-mail to the AG office and I got a message back saying all firearms questions have to go to the State Police... that was a week ago and I still don't have an answer...

Anyway the question: Is it legal to carry a photocopy of a handgun license so you can keep the original in a safe place?

With lifetime licenses, this is going to be a real issue... unless they expect us to pay them $20 for a replacement everytime it gets torn up.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Anyway the question: Is it legal to carry a photocopy of a handgun license so you can keep the original in a safe place?

With lifetime licenses, this is going to be a real issue... unless they expect us to pay them $20 for a replacement everytime it gets torn up.

That was mulled over quite a bit in another thread similar to this. No official info there either. Many of us have made copies though. The assumption was that, with no watermarks or seals, the lic # was the important part that would be called in and verified with your other ID.

AFA1CY

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    In that Field that is Green
    I'm thinking that new mayor otta be on the right side to start the procedures to change this. We can carry in the state parks now and while bow hunting.
    I agree 100%. We already know how safe the Monon trail is :noway:. If you look at most cities in Indiana they have an ordinance aganist carry in city parks. The really bad part with IndyParks is they cover a lot of areas. Even the Iron Gate Conservation Area that is part of a housing development/neighborhood.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    My response from the State Police:

Dear Mr. Kludge:

There is nothing in the Indiana State codes that address this issue. If you have any other questions, please let us know.

Thanks,

Since no one seems to know if it's legal or illegal, I've sent a follow up question to ask if I would be arrested for carrying a photocopy of a license.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    My response from the State Police:

Since no one seems to know if it's legal or illegal, I've sent a follow up question to ask if I would be arrested for carrying a photocopy of a license.

IMO, as long as you are duly authorized to carry in Indiana and have not forged the original a suitable copy should be fine. You can buy a very similar color paper and carefully copy the original and then laminate. It will fit in some wallets w/o alteration. I carry mine in my badge case/wallet, right behind my ID. But, keep in mind, I'm not bailing you out or sharing a prison cell with you ;)

and yes they want the money every time they issue a replacement

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I don't see how a photocopy of your own valid LTC would be a problem, unless of course someone is trying to make a phony license. As the police response noted, there is nothing in the code addressing it, so it's not a crime.

WRONG <Second, note that there is nothing in the code that says you have to carry your LTC with you, only that you have to present it if an LEO demands it.> WRONG If it's on similar pink paper, the right size, and the image is of your own valid LTC, I don't see how they would know it was a copy anyway. If it's a problem, you can eventually produce your original at some later time, so it may create an inconvenience, but you're not going away on a felony conviction.

Edit to add: please disregard the sentence between the WRONGs above, as I was absolutely wrong. I was corrected in the messages below.

Last edited:

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Second, note that there is nothing in the code that says you have to carry your LTC with you, only that you have to present it if an LEO demands it.

“[A] person shall not carry a handgun in any vehicle or on or about the person's body... without a license… being in the person's possession.

It is in the code. Whether or not you get convicted of carrying without a license is another matter.

skigun75

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Indiana
    Nice work Kludge. You beat me to it.

And god help you if you get caught in Lake County with a copy of your license. Your buddy Bernie Carter (prosecutor) would have you sittin in front of the grand jury to determine if that was falsifying a permit.

I'll carry my laminated original, everday. When it is no longer legible, like the last one, I will buy a replacement. Thus the previous comment about the drivers license type.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    OUCH! You guys busted me. I was absolutely wrong, so thank you for the correction. I thought I was right when I wrote it, but that's not good enough.

My credibility now returns to zero.

Here is the full text of the appropriate section of the Indiana Code:

35-47-2-1 Sec. 1. (a) Except as provided in subsection (b) and
    section 2 of this chapter, a person shall not carry a handgun in any
    vehicle or on or about the person's body, except in the person's
    dwelling, on the person's property or fixed place of business, without
    a license issued under this chapter being in the person's possession.

skigun75

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Indiana
    Easy Rhino, dont let that pink color seep into your head.:):

People go to school for a long time to learn the law. And most still don't know it then.

As long as noone was arrested in the last 70 minutes since you posted that, because they relied on your legal advise, I think you should sleep comfortably tonight.

But maybe you'll want to lay off the :alcoholic:

:D

Top Bottom