• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Roll Tide

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2012
    Connersville
    I'm for it! Wouldn't mind taking one now. Maybe one that is a bit more advanced than, "This is a bullet, or ammunition. This is a Gun".

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    There are plenty of quality options out there including many in this site under the Training section. Don't wait for government to get properly trained.

Roll Tide

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2012
    Connersville
    Fortunately I already have my permit. I was raised around guns, and my dad showed me plenty. Not enough, never enough. I will be looking into training courses. It would be cool to have one at a meet and greet.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Be very careful about supporting legislative requirements for firearms training. Sounds good on the theory, but it is actually one of the major ways to control and limit firearm access. For example, this bill was submitted by Jean Breaux who has an F grade for gun rights from the NRA. I have a hard time believing she is really interested in protecting gun rights in any way.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Fair enough. I didn't think about it that way. I suppose that would take the state from a "Shall" to a "May" issue.

Actually, the difference is that "shall issue" means that you will definitely get the license if you meet certain objective criteria. "May issue" means that someone gets to decide if you should get a license or not even after you've passed any objective criteria.

Training is recommended, but should no more be required than requiring that people get training before they can exercise their first amendment rights. In fact, there is a good argument for not requiring licensing at all as it is a restriction of our rights. There are a few states that follow the "Constitutional Carry" model without having blood in the streets.

Roll Tide

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2012
    Connersville
    Actually, the difference is that "shall issue" means that you will definitely get the license if you meet certain objective criteria. "May issue" means that someone gets to decide if you should get a license or not even after you've passed any objective criteria.

Training is recommended, but should no more be required than requiring that people get training before they can exercise their first amendment rights. In fact, there is a pretty good argument for not requiring licensing at all as it is a restriction of our rights. There are a few states that follow the "Constitutional Carry" model without having blood in the streets.

I've been learning more and more about that lately. Ya know, its tough when you start a new forum, for a newly peaked interest, because I'm such a sponge. I feel like I have A.D.D. trying to "catch up" on all of the topics and the abbreviations used hahaa.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    No problem. I recommend you go to the training section and ask for suggestions. There are a several quality trainers who work around Indy. Not sure who offers training right in your neighborhood. I would recommend a good handgun self-defense/101 class (not the NRA Intro to Firearms- too basic for you).

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I'm a big fan of training. I'm NOT a big fan of government-mandated training. First because it's further infringement, and second because in states that already have such laws the required training SUCKS.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I'm a big fan of training. I'm NOT a big fan of government-mandated training. First because it's further infringement, and second because in states that already have such laws the required training SUCKS.

That just depends on if the instructors just do the bare minimum to kick out a certificate. When I did training in MI I always went above and beyond what was required.

Phil502

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    NW Indiana
    I took the NRA Basic Pistol course just for the heck of it when I got my LTCH. Decent course with range time but it's not combat training or anything like that.

Harry2110

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I could see this bill as a double edged sword. First yes it is a restriction to your rights of putting a requirement for applications.

Now here's the possible good outcomes:
    Would we have to get a Utah or FL permit if this passes as ours would now include the first hand training that we were missing and prevented us from being accepted by more states?
    Would we no longer have untrained individuals that with no knowledge of handgun laws in indiana possibly commiting wrongful shootings or incidents that could cause us to be seen in a bad way?
    Would this very same training further create a more knowledgable gun culture which would lead to individuals that would have gotten a LTCH for just in case to become more involved in firearms and possibly take it up as a sport? Leading to a bigger audience if antigun rulings were to come up in future seesions.
    Would this make it harder for antigun cops to hassle open carriers and individuals carrying firearms as they should now be enformed of laws and rules of what they legally can and cant do? I would think that after a few times of being corrected/reported by a better enformed individual that type of harashment would stop?

Now would the shepple feel better if they knew that an individual open carrying in public has gone thru training and if they arent acting strange wont be shooting up the place?

This is alot of ifs but if handled correctly it could save IN residents money and issues in the future as you could possibly have a permanent lifetime carry permit that is valid in other states like ohio for little extra cost. Now this would be the best case but since its the government I dont think itll go this way as they will always find a way to mess up something if possible.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Handgun Training Mandate (WXIN, Fox59)

State Senator Jean Breaux (D-Indianapolis) set to propose bill to mandate training for new Larrys. INGO's own Guy Relford responds (is that a .223 case kiss on your brow, Guy?:D).

Jorge Zimmerman's self-defense incident is listed as a motivation. Apparently the good senator is unaware of Florida's training requirements for the issuance of a carry license.

State senator proposes mandatory training for new handgun owners | Fox 59 News ? fox59.com

Again, this bill should be stripped of her specious proposal and the Freeman Training Plan substituted: all handgun training costs shall be above the line tax deductible--all range fees, tuition, ammonition, lodging associated with training, car rental associated with training, class expenses, etc. are all dollars that the State of Indiana does not see. We must do it . . . for the children.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I took the NRA Basic Pistol course just for the heck of it when I got my LTCH. Decent course with range time but it's not combat training or anything like that.

The operative word here is "Basic".

Want combat training? That's going to be MUCH more involved than an 8 hour course, and a LOT more expensive.

Top Bottom