Handguns at a school function that is NOT on school property?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    According to IC 35-47-9-1 handguns are not permitted
    "In or On Property that is being exclusively used for a School Function. (In Vehicle in parking lot OK.)"
    My question is, if a school function is being held at a city park (which is obviously not being used exclusively for a school function) is that legal or no-go?

yeti rider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95%
    19   1   0
    Dec 17, 2011
    Lafayette
    I'd be curious to know the answer as well. There was an event last weekend at a very large outdoor venue that was being used for official school functions, and other functions of the same nature. This place may, or may not have been in westfield.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    Any comments on if you are a parent at this school function? (I'm imagining cases for example where schools use tennis courts at a country club. Is the parent of the students treated any differently than the country club members?)
    I couldn't find that specifically addressed in the law.

What about if you are driving kids to a school function? (again perhaps the tennis courts, or the zoo or a play)

I'm guessing the answer is "don't be the test case" ??

I saw what Kirk is pointing out (that is I couldn't find the roaming school zone at all anymore) but wondered if the fact the kids were being transported made a difference vs an actual school "bus". The phrase in the law is I believe if the vehicle is being "leased or controlled" by the school.

Last edited:

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    Any comments on if you are a parent at this school function? (I'm imagining cases for example where schools use tennis courts at a country club. Is the parent of the students treated any differently than the country club members?)
    I couldn't find that specifically addressed in the law.

What about if you are driving kids to a school function? (again perhaps the tennis courts, or the zoo or a play)

I'm guessing the answer is "don't be the test case" ??

I saw what Kirk is pointing out (that is I couldn't find the roaming school zone at all anymore) but wondered if the fact the kids were being transported made a difference vs an actual school "bus".

If it's not specifically address then you're in the clear. Usually the IC is pretty good about pointing out exemptions. As far as transporting the kids you are good to go if you're in your personal vehicle or any private vehicle at that, as long as it's not a school bus. Even if you are transporting them to the actual school itself, as long as you don't step out of the vehicle with the firearm on your person, you're in the clear. So whether it be a third party place or an actual school you are able to transport while carrying, as long as you don't travel onto federal property or something.

IANAL - This is my understanding of it.

Top Bottom