• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • topash

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Anywhere
    Can anyone recommend an accurate handheld GPS unit for use in heavy foilage? It will be used to plot data on a large office map in an office.

rhinoabe

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2008
    Jennings Co.
    I use a Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx it is a bit pricey but it has helped me allot. I do a lot of off road riding down south in the mountains,i turn it on and put it in the console and leave it till i need it. I have rode under lots of heavy cover and it has not let me down.:twocents:

Ogre

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I was looking at that same model for geocaching. Is it pretty intuitive, or will it take a lot of practice to get used to?

rhinoabe

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2008
    Jennings Co.
    Its nor too bad,I have problems with reading comprehension so if i can do it i am sure you can. The manual is written well. I have used it for geocaching allot, i just download the numbers and go. I bought mine from walmart dot com that way if i didn't like it i could take it back ,no questions asked. Two years and i still have it.

johncarbaugh

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Logansport
    If you are looking on the less expensive side. I have a Garmin eTrex Venture HC. They can be found for under $100. I still git a signal in the basement of my house. Don't think you will find tree cover that thick. Dose not have a lot of bells and whistles but I just got it for geocaching and it works great for that. Has a high-sensitivity receiver that helps with getting a better signal and more accurate location.

Spanky46151

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Martinsville
    Just ordered the Garmin 60CSX, seems to be the best for my hunting. Decided to get one after my extra 2-3 miles of woods trompin' I did one day last week after missing my "sign" in the woods...lol. Never thought it'd get to this point...AGING SUCKS!

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    Topash - what is the purpose of your map? I ask because I am a Civil PE and tried to use my Garmin E-Trex to do some mapping for work ... and then we tried a trimble (about a $6K unit) and it was good for some mapping ... but depending on what you are doing a 'cheap handheld' will probably NOT be adequate ... i.e. NONE of the handhelds that are under $1000 are accurate to less than 3 m (9 ft) horizontal position.

Perhaps some added details would help clarify? what exactly do you need this for? or if this is good enough on accuracy ... then almost any would do. ... but don't get the basic etrex ... no download capability. ...

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Can't brag enough on the 60Csx. Great GPS for use in the woods. It has a dual helix antenna which has never let me down under anything except the deepest cover and even then if you keep walking in the general direction it is quick to recover.

Right now they are really pretty cheap. When I got mine 3 or 4 years ago they were almost $500. Since the intro of some newer "smart" GPS receivers, the 60Csx have dropped almost in 1/2.

Titanium Man

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    Indy---USA
    I know you guys want a bit more stuff on your GPS', but I just picked up 2 of the Bushnell BackTracks, and they are pretty nice. All you do is set your home, and then set off hiking. No matter where you are, it'll give you the proper direction to get back to your original place of origin. Heck, for $50, you can't go wrong.

Bushnell - Original Backtrack

CopperWires

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    Topash - what is the purpose of your map? I ask because I am a Civil PE and tried to use my Garmin E-Trex to do some mapping for work ... and then we tried a trimble (about a $6K unit) and it was good for some mapping ... but depending on what you are doing a 'cheap handheld' will probably NOT be adequate ... i.e. NONE of the handhelds that are under $1000 are accurate to less than 3 m (9 ft) horizontal position.

Perhaps some added details would help clarify? what exactly do you need this for? or if this is good enough on accuracy ... then almost any would do. ... but don't get the basic etrex ... no download capability. ...

Anything that trimble offers is overkill for what this person is needing. On the other side, any garmin unit is not adequate for mapping. Besides you can't really compare those different types of units. Trimble has some post process correction abilities that make it far more superior for mapping.

P.S. I highly recommend the topo maps if you're going to be offroad.

And I will beg to differ on you statement about a garmin unit being less than 3m accurate. With my legend C I am consistently getting 6-9 ft accuracy which has been verified by a Trimble GeoXT. The 60CSx is even better than the Legend and Vista.

SINK

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    I just picked up a Dalorme. It is a pretty nice unit. I like how you can put airial maps on it and maps are cheap. But the software is a little tricky to use.

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    Can anyone recommend an accurate handheld GPS unit for use in heavy foilage? It will be used to plot data on a large office map in an office.

Anything that trimble offers is overkill for what this person is needing. On the other side, any garmin unit is not adequate for mapping. Besides you can't really compare those different types of units. Trimble has some post process correction abilities that make it far more superior for mapping.

P.S. I highly recommend the topo maps if you're going to be offroad.

And I will beg to differ on you statement about a garmin unit being less than 3m accurate. With my legend C I am consistently getting 6-9 ft accuracy which has been verified by a Trimble GeoXT. The 60CSx is even better than the Legend and Vista.

Just to clarify my statement ... (and re-iterate my question to the OP) ...
    The OP didn't state beyond "Plotting on a Large Office Map" what the need was - and I didn't see a follow-up with more clarity. (my apolgoies if I missed this). To me the intended use (especially in foliage) for an "OFFICE MAP" may be important. Are you mapping a trail to your tree stand for you 'personal office' or is this for some type of official map that has specific accuracy requirements?

I used a GeoXT 2008 for 3 month for work with the zephyr antenna and Survey Rod in heavy foliage / wooded area this past spring. I would agree that the trimble units. are beyond what most people in general need. The post processing and signal / point tracking in the units significantly improves the accuracy - to sub-meter (i.e. 4 to 9 INCHES) in optimal cases. (This is most of the time - I had a few points stray with more error after Post-P than Pre-P).

What I was stating about the accuracy is based on "output data" and also stated accuracy of the units from the manufacturers specifications in the O&M manuals (available on-line). Most of the consumer grade (i.e. Garmin / Magellen) units output data to the within 0°0'0.1" (or 0.1 seconds) of Lat. and Long. When you put that accuracy into meters or feet ... its is equal to 3 meters or 9 feet ... and that is the stated error of the units. Even the LOWER end post processed Trimble Geo's units (below the XT/XH models) only go to 3m.

just trying to clarify my :twocents: from the earlier post ... GPS technology is advancing quickly ... its something I sometime use for work ... and if I'm missing something ... well I like to be an informed tech junkie with good info ... ( so plez 'splain it to me if I am missing info. )

topash

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Anywhere
    Thanks for the replies. I need the GPS to plot tresspasser's tree stands on 1400 acres we own so that those areas can be better patrolled this year.

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    For that - one of the consumer grade (Garmin 60 series or similar that were mentioned) should be fine. Be sure whatever you get, that you can link to maps and download / upload to the computer ... my personal one doesn't have these features ... and I have been regretting it since buying it.

sorry for the long winded explanation .... guess my brain saw "office" and switched to 'office' mode ... :ugh:

topash

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Anywhere
    Hey brotherbill3, that's fine, I enjoyed reading your response. I'll probably order a Garman 60csx. I used a tripod mounted Trimble 10 years ago and they were a pain to use in the woods. The new gps stuff seems to be advancing too fast to keep up with.

Thanks for all of the responses.

1donos

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I had looked into the Delorme Earthmate PN40. It looked like a very nice unit for the money. Has anyone tried this one out?

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Any opinions on how well the "automobile" GPS units do when dismounted and used on a walkabout?

Just curious if one couldn't kill 2 birds with one stone?

-J-

Spanky46151

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Martinsville
    I have both and can't imagine trying to use my traffic GPS in the woods. I use my handheld to track my movement so I can follow the "bread crumbs" back to my starting point. I only have 20 personal acres to hunt so I'm on public land alot and don't know them well enough to just start walking. I don't think my traffic unit even has this option as it's data seems to be streets. Then again, maybe if you loaded some hiking/hunting specific software onto it, but I think it would still be to delicate for woods use.

Top Bottom