• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    I carry a Fenix PD35. It’s about 6 years old but it’s been great the entire time. 960 lumens. I think Fenix is a good value for money light and based on my experience it’s pretty tough too.

masterdekoy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Columbus
    I may have to reconsider Fenix and Olight. They always struck me as the Chinese knock off that would guarantee to disappoint. :thumbsup:

My experiences with olight have been positive so far. Can’t speak to Fenix.

The Olight MR2 Warrior/ Warrior Pro peaked my interest, but I don’t know that I’m willing to spend that much for something that doesn’t have the Surefire / Streamlight reputation. Still, they seem to be pushing the bounds of technology: rechargeable, 1800 lumens, long runtime, etc. may have to try one.

J Galt

Expert
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Mar 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    My experiences with olight have been positive so far. Can’t speak to Fenix.

The Olight MR2 Warrior/ Warrior Pro peaked my interest, but I don’t know that I’m willing to spend that much for something that doesn’t have the Surefire / Streamlight reputation. Still, they seem to be pushing the bounds of technology: rechargeable, 1800 lumens, long runtime, etc. may have to try one.

It's less than half the price of a Surefire. Seems like it is worth trying and using not as your primary for a while. I may start shopping for one to try out.

Who has the best price for one?

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I may have to reconsider Fenix and Olight. They always struck me as the Chinese knock off that would guarantee to disappoint. :thumbsup:

If you venture into some dedicated flashlight forums ( don't it's potentially a(nother) very expensive rabbit hole) Fenix, and Olight have pretty stellar reputations. Calling them a knock off implies they are coping something. On the contrary they are the ones pushing the boundaries and bringing new and better torches to the market. Surefire on flashlight forums isn't the top dawg by a long shot. They are playing catch up and are behind, way behind for true flashlight nerds

J Galt

Expert
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Mar 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    If you venture into some dedicated flashlight forums ( don't it's potentially a(nother) very expensive rabbit hole) Fenix, and Olight have pretty stellar reputations. Calling them a knock off implies they are coping something. On the contrary they are the ones pushing the boundaries and bringing new and better torches to the market. Surefire on flashlight forums isn't the top dawg by a long shot. They are playing catch up and are behind, way behind for true flashlight nerds

For the non-flashlight nerds they give the impression of being cheap Chinese knock offs. What the reality is may be completely different. :whistle:

What are some of the forums for the obsessed***,,I mean dedicated flashlight people? :):

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    My EDC is a Jetbeam RRT- 0 Raptor. It has a rotating switch on the body that goes from 0 lumens to ~750 lumens. It has a clicky switch on the back that can be used as an intermittent flash or you can switch to high bright strobe on the rotating ring twist. It is about 3.5" long and lightweight being made of aircraft grade aluminumwith hard coat anodizing. It uses rechargeable 16340's or CR123A batts. I carry it in a carbon fiber Blackhawk! flashlight holder.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    For the non-flashlight nerds they give the impression of being cheap Chinese knock offs. What the reality is may be completely different. :whistle:

What are some of the forums for the obsessed***,,I mean dedicated flashlight people? :):

Try candlepower forum and budget light forum

A few brands you should know: Fenix, Olight, Nitecore, Thrunite, Jetbeam, Sunwayman, Klarus. Also may want to research cool vs neutral and warm tint. Cool tint can deliver more lumens typically but warm and neutral have better color rendering. Its not all about lumens either. Lux is a big deal. Tactical flashlights kinda take a back seat to innovative features and build quality. Like I said it's a deep and potentially expensive hole.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Oh and if you want to support a truly American company that makes some amazing torches check out Prometheus lights over at darksucks.com he makes everything in house himself with the exception of only a few things like LEDs and glass. But the driver was designed and built by him, he machines the bodies and assembles them all by hand.

J Galt

Expert
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Mar 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    Try candlepower forum and budget light forum

A few brands you should know: Fenix, Olight, Nitecore, Thrunite, Jetbeam, Sunwayman, Klarus. Also may want to research cool vs neutral and warm tint. Cool tint can deliver more lumens typically but warm and neutral have better color rendering. Its not all about lumens either. Lux is a big deal. Tactical flashlights kinda take a back seat to innovative features and build quality. Like I said it's a deep and potentially expensive hole.

Thanks for the specifics! That helps!

You are right, this looks like it could become an incredibly expensive rabbit hole.

Maybe a go fund me page would help? :):

Top Bottom