Handloads for self defence or off the shelf?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Handloads or off the shelf for your carry gun?

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

oneshotonekill

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    Over by the lake.
    Been wondering what the general consensus is on this subject? I am on the fence about it. I know some that say it isn't any big deal to load your own for self defense and others who will only buy off the shelf loads,(Hornady Critical Defense).

To me the argument is if you have to use them that is one more thing prosecution could throw at you. If you buy them off the shelf then they can't stick you with loading rounds that you designed to do more damage.

Thoughts and opinions?

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    Been wondering what the general consensus is on this subject? I am on the fence about it. I know some that say it isn't any big deal to load your own for self defense and others who will only buy off the shelf loads,(Hornady Critical Defense).

To me the argument is if you have to use them that is one more thing prosecution could throw at you. If you buy them off the shelf then they can't stick you with loading rounds that you designed to do more damage.

Thoughts and opinions?

N E V E R:noway: use reloads for SELF-DEFENCE, cause it can be used against you in court:(

oneshotonekill

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    Over by the lake.
    Yeah that pretty much backs up what I was thinking.

I know of a fella, who will remain nameless, loads up .38 spc hollow base wadcutters backwards....think about it, that is a massive hollow point. He gave some to a DNR officer to dispose of roadkill deer that aren't quite expired when he gets on scene. This is what is in his EDC.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    I use what the LEO's do,,

I have loaded for almost 40 years, and can make very good defense loads-mostly with Speer Gold Dots+Hornady XTP's. I use those for hunting loads only.
    Many years ago a LEO friend of mine advised me to carry factory loads, due to the "Lawyer Factor", if I needed to use on a Bad Guy. May be true-may be not but for $25.00-$30.00 every 6 months or so, it to me is cheap insurance.
    If I carry what the LEO's do there is very little chance of a problem with the load, or with the Lawyers. Just my :twocents:'s worth..Bill.:draw:

JJenn

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Factory loads.
    Read about it in In the Gravest Extreme written by Massad Ayoob.
    Great book..

booey50

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 27, 2009
    nw indiana
    i wouldnt mind using handloads for carry. Chances are you are not loading extra hot loads or using some fairy dust in with your "illegal" powder... most people I know carry factory though.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    For those who have read Massad Ayoob's info or who are more knolegable... Does the legal dilemma that relates to hand loads apply to "factory reloads" or FFL manufactured re-loads? (Example USA Ammo, or locally Profiresupply) Or is it more just an issue when you are literally making (loading) them yourself?

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Factory only please.

Does the legal dilemma that relates to hand loads apply to "factory reloads" . . . . . . Or is it more just an issue when you are literally making (loading) them yourself?

The idea is that the prosecution won't automatically go after big-name factory loads, like those used by your everyday police officer. But they *might* take up the issue if you loaded them yourself. I suppose the same could also be said for smaller unknown outfits.

To steer clear I'd just grab a box of Federal HST (or whatever your favorite flavor of JHP is) and call it a day.

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Prosecutors use emotional arguments to sway juries. There is no need to give them the ammunition, ahem, they need to do so. Store bought rounds are extremely effective, there is no reason to use homebrew loads for SD these days.

You don't need a bunch of sheep on the jury getting riled up because you are some basement chemist mixing up dangerous batches of gunpowder and conjuring up uber evil and deadly handloads that are meant to kill and take the bad guy's soul straight to hell at the same time (or something crazy like that). <--Where can I buy those? Clearly you were out looking for trouble with your over-powerful handloads...cops don't even carry ammunition that powerful, blah, blah, blah.

If you do carry handloads and shoot a guy with them...I'm sure, for a small fee, that Masaad Ayoob will gladly show up at your trial and testify on your behalf :)

Top Bottom