264qtl5.jpg

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    :):Guys/ gals, Please don't get me wrong, I love the m/1911.....but I feel it is a out dated design.

Very fine firearm, I would never trade/sell mine, ....BUT Glock is by far a todays pistol.

1.Out of the box it is a go-to pistol. very realible and accurate.

2.10-33 round magizines vs. 7-8 rounds 1911.

3. Number one choice for MOST police depts both federal,state and local
    4. Chuck Taylor's G17 has over 300,000 rounds thru it and still going strong.

5.Half the number of parts to go wrong!

6. Most people can repair their Glocks, Maybe not so with the m1911.:dunno:

Any comments on my evaluation would be welcome.:welcome::popcorn:

Thanks, Jerry

i guess you have never had 1?......btw most peep's can repair them to if they can read:patriot:

Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    I'll bite.

I love the m/1911.....but I feel it is a out dated design.

Very fine firearm, I would never trade/sell mine, ....BUT Glock is by far a todays pistol.

1.Out of the box it is a go-to pistol. very realible and accurate.

Yes it is. So are many of the better 1911s.

2.10-33 round magizines vs. 7-8 rounds 1911.

In the average POLICE shooting in New York from 1990 to 2000, the mean number of shots fired by a police officer was 5.2. The "historical" statistic is something like 2.6. Either way it is not even 8 let alone 33. I would also wager that any 7 or 8 rd 1911 magazine is more reliable than a Glock 33 round magazine.

3. Number one choice for MOST police depts both federal,state and local

I would argue that MOST department's let their officer's carry their weapon of choice. If you are referring to departments that issue service weapons, you are correct.

4. Chuck Taylor's G17 has over 300,000 rounds thru it and still going strong.

You've got me.

5.Half the number of parts to go wrong!

Not if the 1911 is properly maintained. (1911s to require more attention)

6. Most people can repair their Glocks, Maybe not so with the m1911.:dunno:

I will give you that the Glock is easier to repair and all of the parts are "drop-in" but, I don't think that there are that many more Glock Armorers out there than there are 1911 Armorers / Gunsmiths

Any comments on my evaluation would be welcome.:welcome::popcorn:

Thanks, Jerry

In my opinion Glocks and 1911s are both fine service pistols. Anyone can carry / shoot / clean a Glock. The 1911 takes a little more training and practice to master all of those things.

Before I would suggest anyone carry a 1911 for personal protection or for any sort of "duty use" I would recommend that they attend a basic armorers course and learn how to fit various parts such as thumb safeties and extractors. I would also recommend that they become proficient and changing an extractor very quickly and have some "pre-fitted" extractors on hand. It would also be necessary to be sure that you could identify signs of wear and parts that need replacing.

I understand what OVER THE HILL GUY was trying to say but, I carry a 1911 ever day at home and at work. I bet my life on the pistol and would trust MY 1911 over SOMEONE ELSE'S Glock any day.

..............and I just had to argue! :):

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    How did I miss the party invite?! Would you still respect me if I told you I'm seriously considering adding a dirty little Five-seveN to my little collection? No 1911s will be harmed or removed, of course.

Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    How did I miss the party invite?! Would you still respect me if I told you I'm seriously considering adding a dirty little Five-seveN to my little collection? No 191s will be harmed or removed, of course.

:laugh: I would. I've been tossing the idea of picking one of those up forever. I don't know if I ever will though. I just can't see spending that money on the firearm and then the expensive ammo. (There are others that are equally expensive, I just tend to like them more)

D.T.O.M.

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 27, 2009
    martinsville
    well my opinion is that the they made a huge mistake replacing the 1911 for the Berretta I dont think it is even close to being as good of a weapon as the1911
    but what do I know ?

Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    well my opinion is that the they made a huge mistake replacing the 1911 for the Berretta I dont think it is even close to being as good of a weapon as the1911
    but what do I know ?

Beretta is a good gun. It's just not a 1911. I think that they were thinking about ammo. Outside of the U.S. .45 ACP is pretty hard to come by and 9mm is more than plentiful.

Still agree with you though, they should have just made sure that they sent our boys oversees with plenty of ammo!

Top Bottom