• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 68_F100

Expert
    Rating - 93.9%
    31   2   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    North Salem
    Dad stopped by to see me tonight for my birthday. Brought me a new S&W M&P .40. I have got one hell of a dad. I think I will take him shooting this weekend.

cav_cdr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Columbus
    So now you know how much he will appreciate a similar gift from you!! Take him shooting, fishing, to a ball game, whatever. He'll be happy just spending time with you.

68_F100

Expert
    Rating - 93.9%
    31   2   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    North Salem
    So now you know how much he will appreciate a similar gift from you!! Take him shooting, fishing, to a ball game, whatever. He'll be happy just spending time with you.

I wish more than anything I had the means to. Have two kids and a wife working on a Masters. Single income and I am broke as a joke. I will get him back someday.

GMack_1

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2009
    Montgomery Co.
    Congrats! I've shot a few M&P's and they are totally fun. I do have a question, though. How does one gift a gun to someone else? I assume your Dad filled out the paperwork, so the gun is in his name. Are you planning on going to an FFL and transferring it to you?

It sounds all perfectly legal to me, but Indiana gun laws can be tricky at times. It would be worth checking out, just to be safe, especially if you plan on carrying it concealed and end up having to use it...

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    Congrats! I've shot a few M&P's and they are totally fun. I do have a question, though. How does one gift a gun to someone else? I assume your Dad filled out the paperwork, so the gun is in his name. Are you planning on going to an FFL and transferring it to you?

It sounds all perfectly legal to me, but Indiana gun laws can be tricky at times. It would be worth checking out, just to be safe, especially if you plan on carrying it concealed and end up having to use it...

My mother-in-law bought me a Henry Pump .22 for Christmas last year. She went to Bradis, paid for it, and gave me a coupon to go get it. I then went and filled out the paperwork to get the gun. The good news was that she let me go to get it before Christmas. The bad thing was that I wasn't allowed to open the box, other than inspecting it at Bradis, so that I would have it under the tree on Christmas morning.

I've got a pretty cool Mother-in-law!

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010

If only there were an FAQ around here to explain those types of questions...

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...16185-ingunowners_faqs_sticky.html#post187170

The gun is not registered and is therefore not "in his name". He can gift it, sell it, lose it in a tragic boating accident, etc. No transfer required in this case, assuming they are both Indiana residents, etc.

Shive.Justin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2011
    Greenwood/Whiteland
    congrats. that's one awesome gift from an awesome dad. unfortunately, my father was never into guns so all my guns will be purchased by myself, unless i get the "hand-me-downs" from both grandfathers.

GMack_1

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2009
    Montgomery Co.
    If only there were an FAQ around here to explain those types of questions...

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...16185-ingunowners_faqs_sticky.html#post187170

The gun is not registered and is therefore not "in his name". He can gift it, sell it, lose it in a tragic boating accident, etc. No transfer required in this case, assuming they are both Indiana residents, etc.

That's the kind of positive feedback I appreciate about this board. Honest feedback! I just wanted to make sure everything was okay with a gun gift. But you have to admit I was right. In your response, you mentioned "assuming they are both Indiana residents". That's exactly my point! What if his Dad isn't an IN resident? Not trying to open a can of worms here. Jeez!

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    But you have to admit I was right. In your response, you mentioned "assuming they are both Indiana residents". That's exactly my point! What if his Dad isn't an IN resident? Not trying to open a can of worms here. Jeez!

Actually, I don't. Not trying to be harsh, but there are a lot of "what if's" that someone could raise in any situation (what if someone was not a "proper person" and one of them knew about that, etc)... but your fundamental concern with "it's in his name" was fundamentally incorrect. The gun is not registered, as there is no registration, and therefore not in anyone's name.

Also, IANAL, but I believe if they were not both Indiana residents it would not be "tricky Indiana laws" (as you stated in your first post) that they would need to worry about, but rather a bit of federal law:dunno:

Last edited:

Hooker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2011
    NW IN
    Does your Dad want to adopt any more kids? I'm 39, but I can cook for myself and do my own laundry! :D

Top Bottom