• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dukeboy_318

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    in la la land
    I bought a 4.99 machette from Harbor Freight, I was expecting a wobbly POS like the walmart 10 dollar ones, but to my surprise, this thing is sharp, sturdy and very solidly designed for a cheap machette. I tested it out while mushroom hunting yesterday, pleased with the results. Enough to where I'm going up tomorrow and buying another couple. Good value for the buck, rare these days. So if anyone prepping out there needs one, Harbor freight has them for 4.99 through Tuesday the 30th. Just throwing it out there. :rockwoot:

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Cheap machetes are a good bang for you buck! Makes great wampum.

Now there isn't anything to beat a nice 1311, Junglas or other high end blade but for $5 you can't go wrong!

And for full disclosure, I do own a 1311 an RTAK II and a handful of cheap spring steel machettes, guess which one gets the most use/abuse... El Cheapo's. It makes things a lot easier if I could care less if I hit rocks/concrete or were to snap the blade somehow.

OP - Thanks for the heads up I'll probably grab one since it will be easier to buy on than fix the handles(the main failure point I've seen on machetes) on my current ones.

leftsock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Greenwood
    While I can appreciate an affordable tool that would receive some abuse, snapping blades aren't my idea of a good time.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_N4hprpRJhM[/ame]

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    While I can appreciate an affordable tool that would receive some abuse, snapping blades aren't my idea of a good time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_N4hprpRJhM

FWIW most cheap machetes are made out of very soft spring steel, will bend and warp and deform but I've never seen one break. Breaking is a sing of hardened and brittle steel, the exact opposite of most cheap machetes.

And that is why it is an art to find the perfect balance of hardness through steel choice and heat treating to the 'springiness' of your steel.

Kdf101

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    Sullivan County
    I may have to try these. I look at them every time I am in their stor in Terre Haute, but have not bought one yet. For five bucks maybe I will give it a try, I will probably lose it anyway, so at least I won't be out much money.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    20 some years ago I got one of the army surplus ones on 21 st and arlington. I have chipped off a bit of the handle on one side and left it outside for a couple of weeks once. I have chipped/dinger the blade a bit once but a little time with a file like a mower blade and it cuts as good as it ever did.

I am one for going on the cheap for utility items but this one has lasted well over the years. Nice for removing corn stalk out of the garden and other chopping duties. I think it was miore tha 5 dollars but under 10 with a scabbard of nylon.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I stopped in today, got a machete, 2 magnesium firestarters, a 5x7 tarp, and an aluminum carabiner for $13 and some change. I used a 25% off coupon out of the AAA magazine.

Top Bottom