• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • arthrimus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    Carmel
    I have a police trade in 96 that I carry. I love the gun, but it has some hardcore holster wear and I would like to get it refinished. I want to do bead blasted hard chrome, but since the frame is aluminium I was wondering if you guys think it would be better to send all of the steel parts to be hard chromed, and try to get the frame stripped and re-anodized to a matte silver color.

I know that some chroming places say they can chrome plate aluminium by first plating it with nickle or something, but I am unsure about the durability of that method.

Opinions appreciated, Thanks!

AJBB87

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 6, 2009
    Here
    think it would be better to send all of the steel parts to be hard chromed, and try to get the frame stripped and re-anodized to a matte silver color.

Maybe this ^^^^

I bought a used Beretta from GunBroker awhile back that was hard chromed. The steel parts looked pretty good given the age but the chrome on the frame was starting to peel.

I'm not sure if it was peeling due to poor workmanship or age or what but it was nasty.

jerryv

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 8, 2013
    Evansville
    Aluminum can be chrome plated by first plating in copper, then nickel, then chrome.

But bear in mind that plating changes dimensions. First the material must be polished to a 'gloss' (which removes some material), then it's plated .. which adds some material. This is a pretty thin layer, but can slightly change the dimensions of the object. Whether this would be a problem for you, I don't know .. but it's something to consider.

arthrimus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    Carmel
    Aluminum can be chrome plated by first plating in copper, then nickel, then chrome.

But bear in mind that plating changes dimensions. First the material must be polished to a 'gloss' (which removes some material), then it's plated .. which adds some material. This is a pretty thin layer, but can slightly change the dimensions of the object. Whether this would be a problem for you, I don't know .. but it's something to consider.

I'm aware of all of that, I will be sending it to a company that specializes in gun plating, so I'm sure they know what they are doing. What I'm really trying to ascertain is how durable that multi layered plating approach is in the long run compared to anodized aluminum.

Can it be cerakoted instead?

I was wanting chrome for it's nice appearance and extreme durability. While I am sure that Cerakote is awesome, I have seen examples of it wearing off after extensive carry and I would prefer a finish that I didn't have to get redone every couple of years. If my current understanding of the durability of Cerakote is off then please correct me, as I don't have any first hand experience with it.

Thank you!

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I'm aware of all of that, I will be sending it to a company that specializes in gun plating, so I'm sure they know what they are doing. What I'm really trying to ascertain is how durable that multi layered plating approach is in the long run compared to anodized aluminum.

I was wanting chrome for it's nice appearance and extreme durability. While I am sure that Cerakote is awesome, I have seen examples of it wearing off after extensive carry and I would prefer a finish that I didn't have to get redone every couple of years. If my current understanding of the durability of Cerakote is off then please correct me, as I don't have any first hand experience with it.

Thank you!

AllenM is the guy on Cerakote. I'd PM him and he should be able to tell you. I've heard it is very durable, and much more so than durakote, etc. (Check out the Diamond Collision subforum for examples of his work).

Top Bottom